Menu

Meal planning...what are your regulars?

Today we had pizza with carrot and celery sticks and Ranch dressing. We seem to have this once a week for lunch. Do you have any regulars?

We do seem to eat a lot of beans (which is probably why i don't pay much attention). But here's what popped into my mind that we tend to eat often:

chile

beans/cornbread

spinach lasagna

roast pork (followed by pulled pork BBQ the next day)

roast chicken (followed by chicken green chile enchilada casserole the next day)

quesadillas

burritos

soup/bread combos

Lunch? You mean lunch?

You mean you have different things for lunch each day?

You mean you cook lunch each day?

Our lunch is sickeningly predictable...sandwiches..pb sandwiches. Occasionally they'll get jelly. Once in a while we get mac & cheese. Rarer still..pizza rolls or our Pizcuits (mini pizzas on canned biscuits). Or turkey & cheese when the mood strikes.

But basically, it's pb sandwich with fruit or yogurt every day.

We need help!

Help on a tight budget!!

Mondays- Tuna Sandwiches, Apple Slices

Tuesdays- Tacos, Chips and Salsa

Wednesday- Mini Pizzas on WW Pita Bread

Thursday- Homemade Mac and Cheese and Carrot sticks

Fridays- Chicken Nuggets, Salad, Fresh Fruit

We try to do this every week. I try to balance healthy and easy. My kids won't eat Mac and Cheese out of a box and homemade is helathier, so I guess I feel there is room for the Chiken Nuggets (sometimes mini corn dogs) on Friday. Notice the Salad AND Fresh Fruit on Fridays. We aim for a balanced week.

Ours all have to be able to be both veggie and meat based, as ds3 and I are vegetarian and ds 6 and dh are not. Frequent meals include:

Stir fry -- made with chicken or tofu, served with brown rice

Spaghetti and meatballs or veggie "meat"balls for TJs

Lentil pilaf (served topped with cheese and sour cream) <--- my favorite

Steak or grilled tofu, veggies and salad

Vegetable soup with matzoh balls <--- my oldest ds's favorite meal

Fajitas made with steak or "steak" by Morningstar farms

Big salad

Some of the things we make for lunch (to any of these we usually add some sort of fruit and/or vegetable, if I typically serve something in particular with a particular lunch I've said so):

tostones, black beans and rice (I've posted my tostone and black bean recipes here before)

peanut butter and banana pinwheels (ie wrapped in a tortilla and sliced)

tortellini with parmesan

veggie "sushi"-this is not real sushi, you take bread, cut off the crust, roll it out, spread it with cream cheese, put slices of carrot and cucumber inside, roll it up and slice it.

Baked Potatoes

Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese sandwiches

Hummus, Pita Bread and tomato/cucumber/onion/black olive relish stuff

hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls (or puff pastry) and baked with mac and cheese

Baked Potato Soup

quiche

bean burritos with avocados and chips with salsa

bean and polenta pies

mini pizzas and pineapple

funny-face egg salad sandwiches (open face sandwiches served with carrot sticks, slices of pepper, sliced olives, anything that the kids can use to make faces)

homemade waffles with bacon

flautas (from frozen) with cheese cubes and 7 layer dip

ham and cheese bagels

corn chowder

wontons (yes, they are a lot of work for lunch but I love them, they are delicious and sometimes I want them!) and rice

chili/cornbread pie

pasta salad

We tend to have a stir-fry meal, a pasta meal, something Mexican (taco salad or burritos), a chicken with veggie dish, and a breakfast-dinner meal (eggs, pancakes, or waffles).

Our lunches are incredibly boring: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, mac-n-cheese, frozen pizzas, and leftovers. To make myself feel better, I throw in a piece of fruit. Soon I'm going to make an effort to feed my family better at lunchtime, but for right now, I'm just hanging in there. :) I love cooking dinner, but not-so-much at lunchtime.

Lunch favorites:

Taco soup with fixins(lettuce, tomato, cheese, olives, corn chips),

Ham sandwich w/ chips and apple slices,

Grilled chicken breast with steamed veggies,

Soup with crusty bread,

Cheese and wheat thins with apples,

Cheese pizza and salad

Chicken salad with grapes and pineapple

Grilled ham and cheese with chopped veggies with ranch dressing

Pasta and salad

One of our standards for dinner is chicken (fixed various stirfry ways), rice, broccoli and pineapple. I never thought about it much but it is actually a pretty healthy meal.

I love to try new things. I began cooking Indian food a couple of years ago but it is time consuming.

Lunches are boring: PB&J, mac-n-cheese, turkey, fruit, yogurt, chips, etc. My kids love PB on a spoon when they don't like what is on the menu.

Pizza

fish sticks w/fruit (and carrot sticks if we have them)

tomato soup w/grilled cheese

pb-n-j w/chips or Cheese It crackers and fruit

We usually have left-overs one day and then on Thursday's we usually eat Burger King or Wendy's for lunch on our way to the YMCA right after our homeschool classes (in a rush that day).

Nothing fancy, but they do like routine.

I have a 2 week lunch rotation:

Fish sticks & tots, corn and

Apples & Peanut butter, carrots

Meat & Cheese sandwich frozen veggies

Chicken Nuggets frozen veggies

Hot Dogs & carrots

Fish Sticks & tots, corn

Peanut Butter Banana sandwich, frozen veggies

Hard Boiled Egg, veggies

Every day the kids drink a cup of V-8 fusion, to help cover our fruits & veggies & Thursdays we eat out, between church and Gymnastics.

I also have a breakfast menu, just 1 wk, but it takes the guess work out of mornings, & the kids can help get things ready because it's known.

M: Museli, fruit & yogurt

T: Toast, egg & 1/2 banana

W: waffles, egg

TH: Nutrigrain bar, nuts

F: Fruit & yogurt, egg

1 c milk every morning.

are pretty boring.. I go for quick :D

Peanut Butter sand. w/chips

Pizzas

Chicken Nuggets w/ baked fries or tator tots

Mac N Cheese

Soup~whatever we like

Sometimes leftovers

Scallop Potatoes and Ham

Sausage Gravy over biscuits

Lunch Meat Sand.

Waffles or Pancakes

Can't think of anymore right now.. We seem to eat the same things over and over.. My kids are very picky when it comes to foods, so we have to stick to things they like

Ummm, may I eat at your house for a month??? LOL Yummy! *applause for Mrs. Mungo's effort*!

Some of the things we make for lunch (to any of these we usually add some sort of fruit and/or vegetable, if I typically serve something in particular with a particular lunch I've said so):

tostones, black beans and rice (I've posted my tostone and black bean recipes here before)

peanut butter and banana pinwheels (ie wrapped in a tortilla and sliced)

tortellini with parmesan

veggie "sushi"-this is not real sushi, you take bread, cut off the crust, roll it out, spread it with cream cheese, put slices of carrot and cucumber inside, roll it up and slice it.

Baked Potatoes

Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese sandwiches

Hummus, Pita Bread and tomato/cucumber/onion/black olive relish stuff

hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls (or puff pastry) and baked with mac and cheese

Baked Potato Soup

quiche

bean burritos with avocados and chips with salsa

bean and polenta pies

mini pizzas and pineapple

funny-face egg salad sandwiches (open face sandwiches served with carrot sticks, slices of pepper, sliced olives, anything that the kids can use to make faces)

homemade waffles with bacon

flautas (from frozen) with cheese cubes and 7 layer dip

ham and cheese bagels

corn chowder

wontons (yes, they are a lot of work for lunch but I love them, they are delicious and sometimes I want them!) and rice

chili/cornbread pie

pasta salad