Menu

Sonlight Language

supermom

Hi everyone, I just received a used copy of Core 4 in the mail today. I bought it for the history, but Language was included. Unit 2 is completely gone from the Language IG and I assume that is because it was consumable???? If so, do you know if I can just order that part?

Could you tell me if I am understanding how it works…..I’ve not read Ruth Beechick’s book. Rather than use a language workbook, you teach language skills as they write??? So they may never learn to diagram a sentence or know every name for a part of a sentence (gerund, interjection, etc.), but they would know how to write very good…..so who cares if they don’t know those things? That is kinda what I was thinking anyway. The important thing is they know how to write, in my opinion. Is that what they are doing in Sonlight? In the Unit 2, which I can’t see because it’s missing, is everything laid out for me so I don’t have to think of the assignment….just teach it. I can do that, but figuring out the schedule is what is hard for me.

Last, but not least, does Language 4 go for 4th grade? My girls going into 7th grade are going to do Core 4 history with their 4th grade sister. I think it will be great for them, but can I do the same for the Language? They have taken Language up to 6th grade in other books, but have always struggled with remembering what sentence parts are called, but they are good writers.

Thanks!

Monica

I'm not sure what unit 2 is, I've never known that term to be used in SL. It is possible that your activity sheets are missing. In that case, you can order more for about $10-$12. It seems like you do understand R. Beechick's theory. She believes that listening to good grammar and practicing it in writing is enough- the grammar is light and kids won't diagram sentences. SL recommends a one year grammar course called Grammar Ace to be used around 6th or 7th grade, I believe. Generally speaking, you would use LA on each child's level and not combine there, but if they've never used SL LA before it may work out just fine. I would hop over to SL's forum (you can go to the choosing board for free) and ask there.

Monica,

Can you look at a page, should work with ANY page and tell me what date it has on it? Usually it is written in small time on the inside or on the bottom.

Also what does the pages you have include? Is it a spread sheet schedule? Is it passages from the reader with questions and answers? Is it just questions about the book?

Agreeing that they normally don't do units, and they update the activity sheets almost yearly, so just buying the new sheets won't automatically work either. If it is a newer version then it might be workable.

Heather

Okay ladies, thanks for the replies and my mistake.....it's missing Section 2, not Unit 2. Section 2 Schedule and Notes is empty...I just have the cover page. How many pages is normally is section 2? Is it just a few pages or is that where the majority of the material is? Are a lot of worksheets included in this section normally? Are there detailed instructions on what I am to teach everyday or is the only guide located in section 1 titled "Schedule for Topics and Skills" and I am supposed to take the topic for the week and figure out what to do with it?

I am sorry if I am not getting my questions across clearly. I just want to know what it is before I buy it. I really need to know if the current sheets will work with this, too. Hmmmm.....I will go see what I can find on the forum.

Thanks for any more help you can give me.

Monica

I'd almost have to use Language 4 with all 3 girls since we are using Core 4 History. They say it can be adapted for kids up to 7th grade, so I think it will be okay.

Where would the answer key be? I don't see that in my manual....not even in the table of contents. Does the key come when I order worksheets?

Heather, is this easier on me than TOG? I couldn't keep up with TOG.

Edited by supermom

Okay ladies, thanks for the replies and my mistake.....it's missing Section 2, not Unit 2. Section 2 Schedule and Notes is empty...I just have the cover page. How many pages is normally is section 2? Is it just a few pages or is that where the majority of the material is? Are a lot of worksheets included in this section normally? Are there detailed instructions on what I am to teach everyday or is the only guide located in section 1 titled "Schedule for Topics and Skills" and I am supposed to take the topic for the week and figure out what to do with it?

I am sorry if I am not getting my questions across clearly. I just want to know what it is before I buy it. I really need to know if the current sheets will work with this, too. Hmmmm.....I will go see what I can find on the forum.

Thanks for any more help you can give me.

Monica

Monica,

Well I don't think you have a lot you can use. Section 2 from looking at my LA is the schedule and notes. Section one is more the introduction. Section three is the appendix, which is various helps. There is also an "Answer Key" which is the answers to the activity sheets, and the activity sheets themselves.

Here is the current year sample. The first few pages are just overviews. Do note the date on the side of the pages, your copy should have that, and if you let me know what year it is I might have a better idea of what you have, same with the core. Different years had different structures.

The third page is the schedule, which I believe you are missing. The 4th page would be notes, again I believe you are missing it. The fifth page is the Student Activity sheet. These are consumable, so unless the person who sold you the material didn't use them or ordered an extra copy, they won't be there. In these pages here I am not seeing a sample of the answer key, but usually it looks like the activity sheets with the answers typed in.

Yes generally SL is much easier to do than TOG. Lot less choices to make. It is just the learning curve for getting it set up that is hard.

Heather

Oh, oh....I am looking through the history portion now and realized the previous owner had taken out Section 2 from Language and stuck them in each week's tab.....so those are here!!!!!! And organized for me. The answers to the activity sheets are here in the Section 2 pages. But the downside is I still don't have the activity sheets ;o(....and it looks like they are different for 2009. Any way I can find old ones that you know of??? My year is 2008.

Thanks.

Monica

Oh boy...I'm getting excited here ;o). I just compared and realized it looks like the schedule I have is the same as the current edition as seen in that link you gave me. So I can just order worksheets and they should work! I can't wait to get started ;o).

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Monica

Monica,

From 2008 to 2009 there shouldn't have been huge changes. In fact here is the chart of changes from year to year. You could try the 2009 activity sheets to see if you can make them work. I think the sample I linked had 3 weeks of content. Can you look and see if the basic content is similar?

You could post a WTB of just the activity sheets. Some people buy extra, then decide they don't want to use SL LA.

The last thing is you could just re-create them using word...or if you have a scanner you could scan them and erase the answers. Either will take a lot of time.

If you really like the looks of SL LA you might be better off just buying the new version, at least time wise.

Heather

Last, but not least, does Language 4 go for 4th grade? My girls going into 7th grade are going to do Core 4 history with their 4th grade sister. I think it will be great for them, but can I do the same for the Language? They have taken Language up to 6th grade in other books, but have always struggled with remembering what sentence parts are called, but they are good writers.

I just started using it, but I think it's a bit light for a 7th grader. Your 7th grader would have higher vocab (Wordly Wise) than her younger sister. You might want to make the writing assignments a bit longer for the older child &/or have her revise them a time or two.

SL recommends Grammar Ace to use one year. I haven't used it, but that would help your kids remember the names of grammar terms.

HTH,

Oh boy...I'm getting excited here ;o). I just compared and realized it looks like the schedule I have is the same as the current edition as seen in that link you gave me. So I can just order worksheets and they should work! I can't wait to get started ;o).

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Monica

Monica,

Yea!

SL is light on grammar (on purpose), so you might want to add something for your oldest. They do have weekly dictation and writing assignments. For your oldest you could also consider adding some lapbooks, or have them do some journaling...something like that to beef up the writing if you felt the need. A vocab program is probably a good idea. Maybe Megawords if you need both vocab and spelling? Other possibly ways to beef it up a little is to look at a literature analysis piece to go along, or a logic book, something along that line.

Just throwing out ideas. :D

Heather

The girls do the appropriate grade Wordly Wise and Spelling already. I will definitely expect more from the older girls (twins). They've been doing Rod & Staff English up to now. I will just use the LA 4 as a guide for them and add to it as I see we need it...maybe even do some of R&S English, too.

I'm so glad I found this. I like what we got out of our 2 years with TOG, but it overwhelmed me...even after 2 years. I just couldn't get the scheduling down. This looks like it's much more scheduled for me, not as many CHOICES for me to figure out, not as many notes (which were good, but they were too much). I thought SOnlight was way too expensive, but it's really not when I buy used and use the library. I am looking forward to starting!

The girls do the appropriate grade Wordly Wise and Spelling already. I will definitely expect more from the older girls (twins). They've been doing Rod & Staff English up to now. I will just use the LA 4 as a guide for them and add to it as I see we need it...maybe even do some of R&S English, too.

I'm so glad I found this. I like what we got out of our 2 years with TOG, but it overwhelmed me...even after 2 years. I just couldn't get the scheduling down. This looks like it's much more scheduled for me, not as many CHOICES for me to figure out, not as many notes (which were good, but they were too much). I thought SOnlight was way too expensive, but it's really not when I buy used and use the library. I am looking forward to starting!

Sounds like you are set, enjoy!!

Heather