Menu

Wanted: Advice on finding community for your children after a move...

So we are in the midst of moving down to San Diego. My sons have grown up here in the West Valley section of LA, always at the same church.

Do you have any suggestions to help make new connections at our new home? Plans already: We will have a church (as I'm a pastor) with a good Sunday School. I hope that goes well, but there is stress related to being a PK as well. I'm planning on signing my older son up for Cub Scouts, there is a den that is based at the church. Younger son is not old enough yet. I think we'll be going to be using a homeschool charter next year (Dehesa Charter School) in an effort to make connections, so there will be weekly PE classes at the park, maybe Spanish classes. I've already talked to my education coordinator--she used WTM herself, and we can use all the curriculum we already have planned.

What do you do to re-connect when you move? Our neighborhood doesn't seem very "neigborhoody". Would you walk to houses around and introduce yourself? What about kids... how do they meet others? So far, all my kids' friends were the children of dh/my friends. We've done lots of activities, but they have never made friends there. I know they are young, so maybe that will change soon? Though, as I said in a related thread, my older son is "that" kid.

Mostly I'm looking for creative ideas and general suggestions on helping this transition go smoothly--the truck comes next Friday and I'm getting nervous. I've never moved with kids!

And just for fun, a link to our new house. We're co-housing with friends who are moving down to be with us (yeah!)--they have no children and will live in the first floor apartment, which is not pictured.

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk303/pastrkay/New%20House/

My kids have moved a lot. For the most part, they didn't make friends with neighbors mostly because for the last 10 years, we didn't have neighbors with children. Finally, in this neighborhood, they are meeting some children as a result of being on the community swim and dive team. Other things we have done in the past- community theater, homeschool groups and/or co-ops, youth groups at church, karate, book clubs, Boy or Girl Scouts or 4H, volunteering, etc. They often don't really make friends. I know my older daughter kind of misses having friends since she never made a friend in FL and hasn't made a friend here yet either. On the other hand, I keep them very busy and we try lots of places for friends so they can't say I didn't try. It doesn't always work out.

Not far from where we were, but in an effort to be "neighborly" I took a plate of minicupcakes to all the new neighbors (like 12 houses or so) with a little card I made on Word that said "Nice to meet you! From your new neighbors at 123 XYZ Street " and then listed our names. We were well recieved. Not a ton of families with kids, but I think it was good anyway. Got to meet everyone and answer lots of questions from people who have never met homeschoolers! :D

Last night one of the neighbors came over and asked us to come catch fireflies with them. Kiddos were thrilled!

Hope that helps!

I think you're off to a good start w/ PE classes and cub scouts. My son's best friends have come through scouts. You might start a regular park day w/ the other homeschoolers in the area. I wouldn't worry too much. You're boys are still young enough that they should be fine. Happy moving- the house is beautiful!

We've moved more times than I care to count.

Hang out at the nearby parks and pools at different times of the day and different days of the week.

Bike and walk through the neighborhood at different times of the day and different days of the week.

Do the nearest local library summer activities.

Our local homeschool group has a directory with everyone's information. I got tracked down that way! My kids will miss these friends when we move to Santa Monica. I've already found a park day website there. Plus, we have friends in the area with children around our children's ages. We already told them that these will be their friends.