Menu

Ambleside with an older student (Logic or above)?

Donna A.

If you use AO with a middle grader or above, can you tell me what year you're using, and how you do it? Do you have any youngers, and if so, do you do AO with them as well? Are they all on the same year?

We're needing to save some serious money....

Thanks.

Hi Donna, I have not used AO, but i'm planning to use it next year. I will be using Years 11, 6, and 1 with my DC, I don't know how we're going to do it just yet, but i'm working on it and i'll let you know what I come up with, maybe we can tackle this together sort of bounce ideas off of each other.

We are using Ambleside with our 5th grader and 1st grader. We are loving it! We also have a 4 year old. My 5th grader is using AO year 3.5. She is loving it. She is a little bit behind in reading so this was a good fit for her. There is a lot of parent reading involved with AO. Especially, with my Yr 1! So, I am cheating a little bit and bought some really cheap MP3 players and upload some of his readings from LibriVox. They have a lot of the AO selections on there. Has saved me a lot of time! It is a lot to get done but they are wonderful books. There is also some wonderful yahoo groups that you can join. Those ladies on there are very helpful.

HTH,

Lori

I am using year 6 with my 11 yo dd who is in 6th grade. She does the reading on her own. I do not use all the recommended books. I don't like some of them, and my daughter doesn't like some of them. I think she is reading from four different books now, and the poetry. She has to do one written narration on one chapter, of her choice, each week. With my younger children, I am using ao year 1. I read their selection out loud to them and they narrate back to me. Again, there are some books that I have eliminated because we did not like them. In addition, I am using sotw 1 with all of them. I read that out loud, we make an outline together (I am teaching the two oldes ones to outline), we do the maps and coloring pages. I have always used sotw as my spine/main program and added in books from ao that I thought would complement it well.