Menu

Mesa Verde-like sites in the US West query

kalanamak

I'm planning an educational trip and remember Mesa Verde from my youth. It was very memorable, but it is a bit out of our way and I was wondering if anyone knew of others suitable for visiting with a 7 year old (i.e. not miles out on a dangerous cliff).

I found Wupatki north of Flagstaff, but not having been there don't know if it will be as arresting to a 7 year old as M-V was to me. I'm looking in the northern AZ, UT area. Any other ruins of this type you know of?

Thanks!

The Cliff Dwelling in Colorado Springs is just the one small building. There is an adjacent adobe house that is pretty large. It was used for communal living by tribespeople into the 20th century. It is now a series of shops and is interesting to roam around in. My boys liked it when they were small, but it's really nothing like Mesa Verde at all.

Quite a few years ago, dh & I went to Mesa Verde. After leaving Mesa Verde, we made a stop at Hovenweep. It was neat & was highly recommended to us by our bil (who lives in the West & has done extensive traveling & hiking out there). I don't remember exactly how far it was from Mesa Verde, but I'm thinking it was a 1-2 hour drive (???).

And, here's a link on the Hovenweep site that shows some nearby attractions.

Edited by Stacia