Menu

TI 83 Plus or TI 89

DS is in need of replacing his TI80 but which should we go with:

TI 83 Plus or TI 89? Is there a different one we should consider? DS will be majoring in science in college, will be doing Calculus next year and sitting for the AP test, and doing AP Stat. Science and math are his love so he'll get use out of the calculator for several years.

Thanks,

Carole, DE

Although more expensive, the TI-89 offers extensive graphing and programming capabilities. There are many downloads and helps available directly from the TI website. There are also outside sources that provide manuals for using either calculator in conjunction with the AP Calc test. Calculator use has become an integral part of this test (unlike when I took it eons ago).

Be aware though, that the TI-89 is not permitted when taking the ACT (although it is acceptable for the SAT).

Staci

Go to TI's web site for calculators and you can compare them right there side by side to see all the differences. You can also download complete product manuals from this site, which I think are really handy. Also, though, I would suggest that if you get the 89, go buy the dummies guide...it is way easier to flip through than trying to look it up in a pdf file.

HTH

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productCategory/us_graphing.html

My dd has a TI-84, and she is VERY jealous of the kids in her lab class who have a TI-89. She will probably get a TI-89 with her summer earnings.

That said, be aware that sometimes a TI-89 is not allowed -- and not just in the standardized tests. My ds is taking a calculus class at a 4-year college, and TI-83's and TI-84's are allowed, but no TI-89's -- the TI-89's are TOO capable!

Both my older kids are going into math-intensive areas (chemistry and economics) and I figure that they will need both -- the TI-83 or 84 because it's allowed and the TI-89 because it can do so much more.

If your child is probably not going into a math-intensive field I would just get the TI-83/84 and call it good. Many people will never really need the more advanced features found on the 89.

(My dd is interested in getting the 89 because it is much better about fitting data to lines, which is essential for chem labs!)

Venture publishing puts out terrific manuals entitled:

AP Calculus with the TI-83 and

AP Calculus with the TI-89

I highly recommend this for when your child studies for the test. Learning to use the calculator can be like a course in itself. You can find them at http://www.vent-pub.com.

Staci

Great tip Staci....going to go look for those right away!