Menu

Sharing here because nobody else will think this is interesting re: Dolciani math

My ds is going to do Dolciani pre-algebra this fall. In some of my searches for used Algebra I texts, I have discovered that I used the 1981 Dolciani in high school (I recognize the cover).

My high school math teacher is one of those once-in-a-lifetime teachers that you just kill yourself to do well for. It was an accelerated class, full of really smart people that loved math. I was not one of those people. I held my own, but I had to work harder than they did, and my teacher knew it. Because it was a small high school, we all stayed together with the same teacher all four years.

Anyway, this teacher required us to do all our homework in a spiral notebook. She checked to make sure we were doing our homework, but it was up to us to make sure we understood how to do all the problems when she went over them in class. I took a lot of pride in this notebook. I always made sure it was very neat and very detailed. And because I worked so hard on them, I could never bear to throw them away.

So today it finally dawns on me that I basically have the solutions to Dolciani Algebra I & II, (along Geometry, Pre-Calc, and Calc - but I don't know what books we used) sitting in a box my garage. :D

I'm also feeling a little sad. This teacher passed away about six months ago. I owe her so much. She really stretched me. Me, from little podunk high school was so much better prepared for college math than some of my classmates from renowned private schools. My high school education was far from perfect, and was certainly lacking in many ways, but not in math.

That's really cool!

:iagree::iagree: That IS cool. I just bought a used Algebra textbook because I heard so many good things about it. Mrs. Dolciani is one of the people who worked on it. I read the first chapters and it really does explain things very well. She sounds like such remarkable woman. I'm glad that you had the opportunity to know her. :)

impresssion in your life before it's too late.

My little side story is that I had a great and demanding French teacher in high school way back from 1977-1981. Haven't taken French since then, but can still recite the first couple of lines of a poem we had to memorize. Anyway, we (all six kids and dh) went to Paris three weeks ago (we live inGermany) and I could not believe how much French I could actually use! I was thrilled! When I got back home I sat down and wrote a long letter to my former French teacher (who must be in her late 70s now, but is still living) to fill her in on my life thus far and to tell her what a great job she did.

Now if I can just find my former English teacher, George Fincik, . . .

Jeri

impresssion in your life before it's too late.

My little side story is that I had a great and demanding French teacher in high school way back from 1977-1981. Haven't taken French since then, but can still recite the first couple of lines of a poem we had to memorize. Anyway, we (all six kids and dh) went to Paris three weeks ago (we live inGermany) and I could not believe how much French I could actually use! I was thrilled! When I got back home I sat down and wrote a long letter to my former French teacher (who must be in her late 70s now, but is still living) to fill her in on my life thus far and to tell her what a great job she did.

Now if I can just find my former English teacher, George Fincik, . . .

Jeri

What a wonderful thing to do. :) How did you ever find her address? Did she write you back? What a lovely story. :)

:grouphug:

Thank you so much for sharing. I still have my Dolciani Intro Analysis book from high school with doodles in the margins, comments on theorems or assignments, but, alas, not my notebooks. My teacher for that course meant the world to me, too.

Raising my cup of coffee in a toast to all of those wonderful teachers who have helped shape us.

Jane

That is something--thanks for sharing :).

So, how is it that some of you have your high school math books? Ours were always owned by the school, and I went to 4 high schools in 2 provinces & the US. I have no idea what my Algebra books were, other that we switched to modules when I was in gr 10 at my main high school.

I did do new math for at least some of my school years, including at least part of high school.

What a wonderful thing to do. How did you ever find her address? Did she write you back? What a lovely story.

Internet searches are wonderful things! Haven't heard back from her (yet, I hope!)

jeri

What a wonderful thing to do. How did you ever find her address? Did she write you back? What a lovely story.

Internet searches are wonderful things! Haven't heard back from her (yet, I hope!)

jeri

That is great that you found her. If I try to look someone up by name on the web I get lost with all of the people. :eek: I'm so glad that you found her and wrote her. I'm sure she appreciated it very much. :)

I don't think she still has the textbook from high school -- just the notebook.

I have my Intro Analysis textbook. The school I attended closed its doors after I finished the course. My teacher recognized a future math major and let me keep the book. Maybe it has been my lucky charm?

So, how is it that some of you have your high school math books?

At the beginning of the school year, our teacher told us that if we were going into a science or engineering major in college, we would want to have our high school text with us for reference, and he was right. He also told us that if the text was excessively written in, we would have to purchase it at the end of the school year. I got my first experience with highlighting and making notes in a text that year.

I still have the binder with my notes and tests. I show my co-op students what our tests were like when they want to complain about theirs. I think my brother has the text -- he borrowed it years ago.