Menu

1st & 3rd grade reading lists

Anyone care to share their reading lists? FWIW, we're using SOTW2 for history and REAL Science Chemistry for science (if you care to make any suggestions for those subjects). I know both have reading suggestions but if there are any particular books that were hits with your dc, that would be great. Thanks!

So far the only things that have made the list are:

Grimm's fairy tales

Mathstart books on Evens/Odds and pairs

Kinder Edda and D'aulaires Norse Myths

Kingfisher Greek Myths for Young Children

The Book of Epic Heroes--whatever story in it is from the Sagas (when we do Viking Norway in history).

Rudyard Kipling--Jungle Book and Just So Stories

I had the unabridged Pinnochio on the list, but as I read more about it I knew it would be too much for my sensitive ds. I'm saving it for second grade. Here's our list:

Just So Stories

Little House in the Big Woods

Follow My Leader

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle (everyone recommends this almost, saying it's great for first graders, including SWB)

Five Children and It

I also have a treasury of fairy tales I'm going to read from. One fairy tale a week.

Ds is reading through the Frog and Toad books now, and we're going to have four Magic Treehouse books related to our ancient history studies. He surprised me by starting to read the chapter from Charlotte's Web. I think he may be ready to read it in the course of the year.

We have a lot to read and read aloud for history, science and other subjects as well. I know Gilgamesh the King and The Token Gift are two books in our history section. In case there's room for more literature books, I own Books Children Love, which is a lovely collection of Living Books by level. I think we're covered. :)

Edited by sagira

Five Children and It

One question about your choice of Five Children and It. Are you planning that as a reader or as a read aloud? It is a great book and Nesbit is one of our favorite authors, but she is a bit tough for most first graders. My dd is now happily devouring everything Nesbit, but when she attempted it earlier in the year, she struggled with it. For something similar, but more approachable, I reccomend Half Magic by Edward Eager - Nesbit was his favorite author.

Here are our favorites so far from SOTW2

King Arthur by Felicity Brooks

Ivanhoe by Marianna Mayer

1001 Arabian Knights by Geraldine McCaughrean

Across a Dark and Wild Sea by Don Brown

We've read lots of others, but all of these have been read more than once by multiple people and kept little readers up past bedtimes.