Menu

Please do not let your kids run after the bus!

or any vehicle for that matter.

A story from Tuesday in a nearby town. . . one of mom's twins missed the bus, so mom put her in the car and drove her to the next bus stop so she could get on and get to school on time. The girl ran beside the bus until she tripped and was run over by the bus. The driver never saw her on the side.

This just makes me sad to the point of physically ill. The mom saw the death, and the girl's twin was on the bus.

Please pray for this family. I can't imagine their pain.

PLEASE tell your children today to ALWAYS stay away from vehicles that are running/moving.

The more I thought about it, I realized that I had never said anything about it to my children. Think of all the movies/TV shows where someone is trying to catch up to speak to someone or wave goodbye one last time. It looks innocent and even endearing. I'm telling my dc today that a vehicle is a huge machine that can cause treacherous damage.

And after you tell them give them many :grouphug:.

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2009/06/02/updates/breaking_news/doc4a25a0d18f5c5255173872.txt

Edited by dmmosher
Tues., not Mon.

Poor kids.

Our bus co does a safety training for parents of new students the day before school starts. The advice on missing the bus is to take the child directly to school, just b/c of the run over scenario. When the kids do the safety training the first few days of school, they are shown where the blind zones are. All our busses have a mechanical arm and mirrors on the nose to prevent anyone from getting run ovre in that blind zone, but so far nothing's been invented to prevent the side situation.

I personally have seen parents do this, but so far no accidents. Meanie that I am, I call the school with the plate number. I don't need a lawsuit, b/c they are having their child run on my property and will of course blame any trip & fall on us rather than the sandals w/heels they have their child running in.

What a heart breaking story. My thoughts and prayers go out to this family. I can only imagine what the mother must be going through.

I have seen many parents do the same thing. I chased the school bus a few times but I never allowed my DC to leave my car until we caught the bus at a complete stop and I alerted the driver. We were late so many times he learned our routine and knew to stop a little longer in one or two places.

I am confused! Mom put her in the car and drove her to the next bus stop...then why was she running beside the bus???

In any case, that is horrendous and sooo sad. :(

It is very sad, but I wondered the same thing. Why not just drive the kid to school?

It is very sad, but I wondered the same thing. Why not just drive the kid to school?

In my area, it's because the school is 12 miles from our bus stop, in the opposite direction from everyone's job. Bus time is a NIGHTMARE in our neighborhood.

In the morning, one of our parking lots gets filled with about 25 cars full of kids waiting for 3 different back-to-back buses. Parents fight for parking spaces, cars get stuck in between each bus's red lights, kids are running everywhere... It's just a madhouse.

We have very strict bus stop rules and nobody follows them, then they try to fight their citations. Our civic association wants to (and has the ability to) remove the bus stops from our private property because of the chaos. Unfortunately, that would mean everyone (including students in two other time slots and THREE other bus stops) would have to catch their bus on the highway.

Sigh.

Nobody gives a hoot about safety until tragedy strikes.

Not nearly as tragic, but I remember when I was a child that a high schooler was waiting for the bus too close to the curb and the bus ran over his feet.

That had a lasting impression on me and you can bet I stood back from the curb when waiting for my school busses throughout my school years!!!

But this story is so sad and tragic. Heartbreaking.

>>I am confused! Mom put her in the car and drove her to the next bus stop...then why was she running beside the bus???

The parent probably didn't pass the bus by using an alternate route to another stop, most likely followed the bus route and whenever she/he caught up to the bus at a stop, let the child out on the side of the road. The child runs up the road toward the bus, then on the property alongside the stopped bus. Other stopped vehicles between parent and bus possibly, no sidewalks in most cases, drainage ditch in many so they don't have much room.

>>I am confused! Mom put her in the car and drove her to the next bus stop...then why was she running beside the bus???

The parent probably didn't pass the bus by using an alternate route to another stop, most likely followed the bus route and whenever she/he caught up to the bus at a stop, let the child out on the side of the road. The child runs up the road toward the bus, then on the property alongside the stopped bus. Other stopped vehicles between parent and bus possibly, no sidewalks in most cases, drainage ditch in many so they don't have much room.

The article said that after missing the bus, the mom drove her daughter to another bus stop, behind the stopped bus. The girl got out, but the bus began pulling away before she got to it. Then she started running after it.