Menu

Best typing program for a 3rd grader?

KIN

This is what I use with my three kiddos. I ordered it from Timberdoodle. The cost was around $10.00. I really like how the program teaches typing. The kids keep track of how many words a minute they type with an interactive passport that is part of the program. My kids love to type!

Joyfully,

Mary

I want to teach ds to type this summer and next fall. What is the best computer program to teach him? Thanks!

Did you read my mind? :p My ds (3rd grade) wanted to type a report last week, and I realized that we need a program to teach him, so he doesn't have to hunt and peck!

I'll definitely be checking these out.

We have SpongeBob Typing, but my kids prefer Typing Instructor for Kids.

They didn't like SpongeBob because of the way the graphics are laid out. It has a keyboard, with fingers on the keys to show you where to place your own fingers. The keys on SpongeBob are curved, which is true to the real position of your hands, but makes it difficult for the beginner to follow which finger is on which key. They have to follow the curve of the finger to the letter, and it's confusing, and takes time. With Typing Instructor, the fingers shown on the keyboard are straight. The vertical positioning makes it much easier to follow the fingers.

I don't know if this make sense. This is a case where a picture would tell a thousand words. Hope it helps someone. :o) Bottom line: we like Typing Instructor for Kids better than SpongeBob Typing. I don't know how these compare to Typing Instructor Deluxe.