Menu

Can anyone share how First Form Latin is going?

samba

This was my surprise purchase. I had no plans to switch latin programs. We've been satisfied with LfC and we're in B now but I had a chance to see First Form at the WTM conference and really liked what I saw. I took the plunge and bought it. I think the drill and practice will be good for dd9.

For those of you who have started this program...care to share how it's going so far?

Thanks,

Carolyn

For us - brilliantly! We had started Henle, but, hey, I'm a curriculum junkie - so, we thought we'd give it a try.

I absolutely LOVE it! Love the way it is set out - and the way the exercises lead from one to the next, so that you really 'know' the lesson before moving on. We're up to week 4, and the information has 'clicked' so much better already!

Of course, having said that, it was mainly 'me' that was having trouble with the info 'clicking' - the children (well, teenagers) were doing quite fine with Henle - but they all agree that First Form is more user-friendly, and more enjoyable.

We had completed Lively Latin I (which we loved) and were on lesson 2 in LL II when we hit a wall. Not sure what we missed but I decided to use FF over the summer as it looked like it would fill in the parts we weren't understanding. So, we are starting Lesson 4 and my ds 10 LOVES it. He loves that he has his own student book to read and work through by himself. And because it breaks things down into bite size pieces, he is understanding the reasoning behind the stems and endings in a way that he just did by rote in LL. I want to pick up LL II as soon as we are done with FF, but for now, this is great for securing his (well, my) latin foundation.