Menu

what is computer lab in Pre-K/K public school

My ds (5yo) has proudly called himself a homeschooler since he could talk. Then on Sunday he informed me that he was ready to go "somewhere else" for school. Upon inquiry I discovered that his Sunday School friends informed him that they have computer lab in Pre-K and in K. I told him no problem he can have computer lab at home any time. Still not convinced he said that their computer class is different from my "homemade computer lab" which at this point consists of a few minutes on some of the preschool sites like Peep, and some Jumpstart CD's.

So does anybody know what they actually do in this exciting, state of the art, wonderful, I will ride a yellow schoolbus and wear a uniform if I can go, computer lab?

In our preschool (not where I worked, where Nature Girl went), the computer was in the science room (they had a whole room full of science-y stuff). They hooked up the microscope to it sometimes, and popped in kiddie software other times. They learned how to "point and click" with the mouse, and how to put in a cd-rom. Now, in dd's 3rd grade, she learned how to do a powerpoint presentation. I just think it's stuff you can do at home.

My four y.o. was in preschool this past year.

His school had a classroom full of computers that looked like they were relics from the '90's:lol:

Eli's class would spend 15-20 minutes in there once a week using software like Jumpstart.

DD was in an enrichment program through the PS last year. One of the things they did most weeks was computer lab. She would bring printouts of the graphic art stuff they'd do, pretty much drag-and-paste of images and fill-in coloring, with some different background effects to add, usually tied to the theme in the classroom at the time. Towards the end of the year, they were adding animated effects which DD would describe, and which obviously didn't show on the printouts.

She learned how to use a mouse when she was 2. Not yet reading much more than 3 letter words, she can get on my laptop or DH's desktop, find internet explorer, go to the favorites list, identify one of the sites we've saved for her (at the top on one computer, in a subfolder with her name on it), and get online. On my desktop, she can choose one of several games, Paint, or microsoft word from the pull up explorer menu. If the printer's working, she knows how to print (and that she can get in trouble if she does so without permission!). She knows how to save files. At the library, she knows how to log onto the library computer and only needs my help putting in a website name.

Somehow, I don't think she's learning much of anything new at school.

All the places I worked had similar computer labs - basicly fun educational games on the computer for a certain amount of time each day or week. At one school the biggest thing they all liked were the big cushy earphones they wore to block out the other kids and sounds.

My ds (5yo) has proudly called himself a homeschooler since he could talk. Then on Sunday he informed me that he was ready to go "somewhere else" for school. Upon inquiry I discovered that his Sunday School friends informed him that they have computer lab in Pre-K and in K. I told him no problem he can have computer lab at home any time. Still not convinced he said that their computer class is different from my "homemade computer lab" which at this point consists of a few minutes on some of the preschool sites like Peep, and some Jumpstart CD's.

So does anybody know what they actually do in this exciting, state of the art, wonderful, I will ride a yellow schoolbus and wear a uniform if I can go, computer lab?

Starfall.com

Jumpstart (Um, yes Virginia, the same ones you got at home.)

Peep (and Chirp and Quack)

That's about it for K-5 here. Point, click, etc.

Jan Brett

BBC Scotland

More BBC

FOSSWeb Insects

Our public school district's K lab consists of using programs stored on the district's server. Usually K chooses from a writing program, a math practice program and Accelerated Reader. The writing program is basically a word processor with some clip art images. The students are asked to write a story and illustrate. They usually manage a paragraph and can use some clip art. Any commercial kids' writing CD will do the same with more options. The math practice program was the fav as the kids weren't limited to grade level math. Can't remember the name of the program, it was something made for computational skill practice. Math Blaster, ClueFinders and Zoombinis are all better. Accelerated Reader's home equivalent is bookadventure.com. Also on the school server were a few other activities that could be chosen during free time - spelling games and geography games. This site has similar type of games:http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/states_experiment_drag-drop_Intermed_State15s_500.html