Menu

Violin advice, do left handed children need a left handed violin?

I am still waiting for a violin teacher to become available, but I know that dd needs a 1/2 violin. I am wondering since she is left handed, will I need to rent her a left handed violin? I know many left handed people use a right handed violin, but dd has so many difficulties with her special needs already, if it would make it easier for her to learn, I"m wondering if I should rent a left handed one or even buy one. She really wants to learn the violin so I'm pursuing this. Thanks for any insight.

Interesting! I was more worried about the fingering than anything. She had a stroke (actually two strokes shortly after birth) and her left hand is stronger (she should be right handed) but uses left hand due to strength issues. Her fine motor skills have improved dramatically this past year, so she has average fine motor skills for an 8 year old but she is actually 9 1/2 years old (testing from dr. states this)

So with that extra info would you still go with a regular one? I don't think I need to worry about her joining an orchestra, if we can just get through lessons where she can enjoy the music it will be a huge milestone for us. :001_smile:

There is no such thing as a left handed violin. All violins are the same and are played the same way no matter what hand you write with.

Actually there are left handed violins, and they are made differently than right handed violins, but they are not commonly made. I can see why someone might think there aren't left ones, but there really are! http://www.violinslover.com/lefthandedviolins4_4.php

I agree with the others--the left hand does all the fingering. So, the violin is actually a perfect instrument for left-handed people. A good friend of our family chose the violin to play when he was a kid, in part, for this reason. Being very left-hand dominant he felt like his right hand had very little dexterity necessary to play other instruments.

I nearly posted the same response -- but stopped first to check it out. They do exist ! There is no way, however, that one could be used in an orchestra situation. (Unless it was a left-handed violin section !)

There is no such thing as a left handed violin. All violins are the same and are played the same way no matter what hand you write with.

I nearly posted the same response -- but stopped first to check it out. They do exist ! There is no way, however, that one could be used in an orchestra situation. (Unless it was a left-handed violin section !)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabrett viewpost.gif

I think, technically, the violins are the same. What is different is the chin rest and its location, which is really only an accessory. Some people actually play without one (or a shoulder rest/sponge). The rest of the violin is symmetrical.

I noticed that, too -- that the chin rest and shoulder rest were repositioned to the other side. Pretty hard to maintain proper playing position without those two items, btw ! (although sometimes a child will, as suggested, substitute a sponge for the shoulder rest, when just beginning to play)

I think, technically, the violins are the same. What is different is the chin rest and its location, which is really only an accessory. Some people actually play without one (or a shoulder rest/sponge). The rest of the violin is symmetrical.

Actually they are a little more different than that. I've talked with a couple of makers and they assure me it is; I know you guys know much more than I do about playing, buying, etc but I have really been considering the left handed purchase because of dd special needs and trying to research all info about left handed violins.

Here is one cut and paste about the manufacture of left handed violins:

A left handed violin looks like a normal violin, but it is held in the right hand and rests on the right shoulder. The bow is held and coordinated by the left hand. But, contrary to the general perception, a right handed violin cannot be converted to a left handed violin by just placing it on the right shoulder. There are a few construction elements that define the violin that is played left handed. A left handed violin is a mirror copy of a right handed violin. A left handed instrument is designed and built so from the beginning. There are no changes in the back and the sides of the violin. The top and the neck of the instrument are those whom suffer changes. The first element that defines the left handed violin is the bass bar, which is placed under the right leg of the bridge. The sound post is placed under the left leg of the bridge. The strings, from the right to left, will be G-D-A-E. Consequently, the position of the peg holes needs to be modified to meet the new order of the strings. As another consequence of the new order of the strings, the shape of the bridge needs to be adjusted, too. The last element and probably the most difficult to be made is the left handed violin chin rest. The chin rest for a left handed violin is an image in the mirror of the chin rest for a right handed violin and it is carved to hold the right side of the chin. Left handed violin chin rests are extremely hard to find and rarely sold individually or separately.

It would also have to be strung the opposite way - like a left handed guitar.

ETA: When I was researching guitars for my lefty, the music store owner told me that if he could play right handed it would be better for him in the long run. He said only buy a left handed guitar if you *must*. He did fine with a RH guitar. (He also bats right handed.). It makes trying out and purchasing (not to mention borrowing in a pinch) instruments easier for a lifetime.

Have you tried her with a right handed violin?

Edited by darlasowders

You mentioned that your daughter's left hand is the stronger, more dexterous hand, correct?

If so, I would still argue for the regular violin because the hand that does the fingering should be a strong, dexterous hand or the player could struggle significantly. The bow hand does very little in comparison. Yes, it has to hold the bow up, but it is the whole forearm that controls the motion of the bow--not just the hand.

You mentioned that your daughter's left hand is the stronger, more dexterous hand, correct?

If so, I would still argue for the regular violin because the hand that does the fingering should be a strong, dexterous hand or the player could struggle significantly. The bow hand does very little in comparison. Yes, it has to hold the bow up, but it is the whole forearm that controls the motion of the bow--not just the hand.

Yes, her left hand is MUCH stronger, and her fine motor skills far superior in her left hand. Given what you have said, I am thinking that a right handed would be superior for her. I was worried about how she would maneuver her fingers more than the bow, so your advice strikes me as very very sound. Thank you.

I took violin for 8 years. Our orchestra teacher always told us that it did not matter which hand you wrote with, the proper way to hold/play the instrument was the same. So, if someone is manufacturing a left handed model, it wouldn't be commonly used/accepted in the music world. HTH.

Actually there are left handed violins, and they are made differently than right handed violins, but they are not commonly made. I can see why someone might think there aren't left ones, but there really are! http://www.violinslover.com/lefthandedviolins4_4.php

I just read the article and it said it was a new concept. As a violin teacher I would never allow a student to play a "left handed" violin. What if your dc ended up liking the instrument? They would never be able to play in ANY group or orchestra. A group of players must bow on the same side or they will hit each other in a group.

I think this might be the only place that sells left handed violins unless you have one special made.

If you choose to buy a left handed violin, you will probably have a very hard time finding a teacher that will teach your dc. Again, I wouldn't allow or accept any students who played a "left handed" violin.

Before you purchase, please talk to a teacher. You may buy a left handed violin and then not be able to find a person willing to teach you dc.

I agree with the others--the left hand does all the fingering. So, the violin is actually a perfect instrument for left-handed people. A good friend of our family chose the violin to play when he was a kid, in part, for this reason. Being very left-hand dominant he felt like his right hand had very little dexterity necessary to play other instruments.

When I played as a child I was called Worm-Fingers at a violin camp by the instructors. They were impressed with my fingering. :) It never occurred to me it might have just been because, being a lefty, I had an edge.

• 1 year later...
Guest kazoink

I realize this is an old thread, so unfortunately this response is not likely to be helpful to the poster, but I stumbled across this on google and hope anyone else doing the same may benefit.

I see countless places and hear many times that left handed people should just play right handed, and that they probably would have an advantage because the fingering is done on the left hand (if playing right handed). This seems to be a very common misconception among right handed players. If this theory was true, right handed instruments would be fingered with the right hand.

In the case of the violin or fiddle, most of the dexterity required to play is in the bowing. A left handed person forced to play right handed will likely find the bowing difficult and frustrating, and may give up trying to learn.

There is a point to be made that left handed instruments are harder to find, and it is a curse of being a left handed player. I myself am a left handed musician and have to do a lot of searching to find an instrument. I have purchased a left handed fiddle as well as strung a right handed one backwards. There are difficulties in stringing a fiddle backwards, largely to do with the positioning of the string pegs, but it is possible. The best bet is to find an instrument that was made left handed, the search may take some time and you may end up paying slightly more than for a right handed counterpart, but it the long run it is worth it to have an instrument that is more natural to play.

I've actually plaid in an orchestra sitting next to a violinist who played a left-handed violin. It is very different. This particular violinist was missing fingers on his right hand which is why he played lefty. His violin was very different from mine.

In short, they exist, and in very rare cases they can play in an ensemble, but it takes some juggling. As a lefty, she'll have a bit of an advantage having her dominant hand doing the fingering anyway.

I realize this is an old thread, so unfortunately this response is not likely to be helpful to the poster, but I stumbled across this on google and hope anyone else doing the same may benefit.

I see countless places and hear many times that left handed people should just play right handed, and that they probably would have an advantage because the fingering is done on the left hand (if playing right handed). This seems to be a very common misconception among right handed players. If this theory was true, right handed instruments would be fingered with the right hand.

In the case of the violin or fiddle, most of the dexterity required to play is in the bowing. A left handed person forced to play right handed will likely find the bowing difficult and frustrating, and may give up trying to learn.

There is a point to be made that left handed instruments are harder to find, and it is a curse of being a left handed player. I myself am a left handed musician and have to do a lot of searching to find an instrument. I have purchased a left handed fiddle as well as strung a right handed one backwards. There are difficulties in stringing a fiddle backwards, largely to do with the positioning of the string pegs, but it is possible. The best bet is to find an instrument that was made left handed, the search may take some time and you may end up paying slightly more than for a right handed counterpart, but it the long run it is worth it to have an instrument that is more natural to play.

If at all valid, that would actually seem to be more of a short-term solution. In the long run, wouldn't it be better to be capable of playing an instrument that could be played in an orchestral setting? It may (which I doubt) be easier for a lefty to learn on a "left-handed" violin, but it wouldn't be accepted in any ensemble settings.

Guest kazoink
If at all valid, that would actually seem to be more of a short-term solution. In the long run, wouldn't it be better to be capable of playing an instrument that could be played in an orchestral setting? It may (which I doubt) be easier for a lefty to learn on a "left-handed" violin, but it wouldn't be accepted in any ensemble settings.

It may be difficult to imagine playing off-handed, but the assumption that it is just as easy for a left-handed person to learn to play right handed is incorrect. If you were to attempt to play left-handed you would suffer undue hardship, so I think it's unreasonable to expect a left handed person can just learn right handed.

I did notice a post that mentioned being in an orchestral setting that accommodated a left handed player, it seems reasonable to me. However, there are other ensembles that would not cause problems (or require special accommodations) such as playing in a quartet or even playing as a soloist. There are other forms of music as well that being left handed would have no bearing on, such as bluegrass for example.

Ultimately I feel it is better for a person to enjoy playing their instrument then to worry about how they logistically fit into a concert structure, there are several options available for performance if that becomes a desire of the player. A left handed player trying to play right handed will have to work twice as hard to learn an instrument as a naturally right handed player because they must overcome their natural dexterity.

• 1 year later...
Guest petros

I am sure that most if not all the replies about playing violin left handed are from right handed people. I must say I can give you some input from a left handed perspective. If you do some research you will find studies that show left handed people think quite differently than right handed people. There is an interesting site which I do not have the link for you can search for it it is about left handed piano players. There is a left handed piano that was made but this research was about how lefties playing regular piano (same as righties) learn differently. This makes sense because we lefties are in our "right minds" as the joke goes. I can attest that it is very hard for me as a lefty to function in the right handed world.

So take it from me that to force a left handed person to play right handed violin is not a good idea. It happens all the time and this is unfortunate but is slowly changing.

Let me tell you why lefty kids should start playing lefty violin or guitar.

The righty person plays by using the dominant hand to hold the bow or to pick or strike the guitar strings. They use their dominant hand. So a lefty kid should also use their dominant hand because this is natural.

Most kids who are lefty will take a bow in their left hands if you put a bow on a desk and say pick it up. Same way righty kids will use their right hand to pick up the bow.

By forcing the lefty kids to play "backwards" it is an injury to their mental process. Sure they will adapt but it will be more forced than if they played lefty although nothing is cut and dry and it is possible and is not uncommon for a lefty kid to be able to adapt and play well as a righty violinist.

But I play both right and left handed violin and guitar because I was forced to start righty but switched actually due to an injury. After switching I can see clearly that my brain likes playing lefty better. It is just natural to play like that. So those that say not a problem for lefties to play righty are using their righty logic which is more geared to well.... logic and less geared to experimentation risk taking or imagination.

So I can attest that a lefty kid will more than likely be a happier player and feel more in tune as a lefty player on violin (possibly pun intended I play more in tune lefty than righty on the violin).

the problem is usually that the teacher can't handle the challenge (righty thinking again) and the predominant righty society sees lefty playing a wrong or backwards. I recall when I first picked up a guitar lefty my aunt (who was lefty!) said "no your holding it backwards" and that was a really unfortunate thing because I would have started lefty and I wish she had never done that.

So, if you are a parent I would highly recommend that you demand the music teachers allow your lefty kid to play lefty. With violin there are now good quality lefty violins in all sizes available as well as chin rests. Guitar also lefty guitars are common now as opposed to even 25 years ago.

I submit that you do this experiment: say you have a 3 4 5 6 year old you want to try out on violin just put a violin and a bow on the floor and see which hand goes for which. If they pick it up righty and over a few days stay like that well then let them play like that but if they pick up lefty then you should not make them switch but instead switch your own thinking and allow them to be lefty and give them support to be so. There will be some trade offs because they will have a hard time trying to get in orchestra but that's something that orchestras are going to have to figure out because there are more and more lefties all the time and at some point there is going to be a genius kid who plays lefty violin and becomes a concert player then it will take off so your kid will be a pioneer and well that's the lefty way!

As others have said, almost all violinists play right-handed regardless of dominance. Both left and right hands in violin playing take on complex roles, and while the right arm does more physical work and needs some strength to do it, strength will build with practice. As encouragement that a person can learn to play with the non-dominant hand, and play beautifully, I had a wonderful violin teacher when I was young who did play left-handed--because of an injury that made it impossible to play right-handed (I think fingers missing on the left hand, can't quite remember now!) He had originally learned to play right-handed and played professionally, after his injury he taught himself to play left handed. The whole experience of re-teaching himself as an adult contributed to his excellence as a teacher--he had had to really think through everything that at one point had been automatic for him, in order to duplicate it with the opposite hand.

Many instruments are left dominant-it's something that my beginning band students always fussed about when I was still teaching in PS, except for the 1-2 kids a year who actually WERE left handed, who were all grins because, finally, they didn't have to adapt. As far as I know, while there may be left handed violins, there are not right handed saxophones or clarinets.

Edited by Dmmetler2

It may be difficult to imagine playing off-handed, but the assumption that it is just as easy for a left-handed person to learn to play right handed is incorrect. If you were to attempt to play left-handed you would suffer undue hardship, so I think it's unreasonable to expect a left handed person can just learn right handed.

I didn't say that it would be EASIEST for a lefty to learn to play a "right-handed" instrument. I said that it is best if you're going to learn an ensemble instrument that you go ahead and tackle it correctly and learn to play it right from the beginning. I play the French horn, and I'm right handed. It would have been easier for me to learn the fingerings with my right hand. But it would have been wrong. Unless there's a physical reason why a student absolutely cannot play an instrument the traditional way, that will always be the best choice in the long-run.

No. You don't need a left-handed violin. Actually the left hand does all the fingerings so your dd may have an advantage starting with stronger fingers.:)

Being left handed will be an advantage in playing a standard violin. In addition, if you try to use a left-handed violin, you will have a hard time playing in an orchestra, as you will bang into everyone else.

Laura

Being left handed will be an advantage in playing a standard violin. In addition, if you try to use a left-handed violin, you will have a hard time playing in an orchestra, as you will bang into everyone else.

Laura

:iagree: I took violin for 10 years growing up. I still play and my daughter plays. I hear/see lots of kids play violin. I personally think these lefty kids are at an advantage on the fingering end and I've watched several race through early violin. I don't feel violin is a RH/LH instrument. It's a cross brain instrument. I actually listened to a seminar on this last year from someone getting their PhD in brain biology and how it related to learning to play the violin. Righties and lefties may have different challenges. But both groups will end up with better left brain to right brain communication and vice versa.