Menu

How does your family tithe?  

1. 1. How does your family tithe?

• 10% of our income
    • What we can afford weekly
    • Not regularly
    • Do not tithe
    • More than 10%

I know someone, not going to call names. She took that 10% to the church no matter what. Even if it meant she didn't have money for the power bill or groceries. Her budget was very strict. Her family was upset with her and was always afraid to help her, because when they did, she would take the money straight to the church. She would never tell the church that she could not afford to give her 10% all the time. No one is sure why she did/does this, and I do not dare bring up the subject with her. I am sure she is well meaning, but at the same time, I do think this was extreme. There were times he power was turned off and cupboards were bare, yet she refused to ask the church for help.

families are referred to as "giving units".

We are fortunate to now be in a buildingless church that does not plan on building in the future. The ministry is focused on PEOPLE. It's a very nice place to worship!

Giving Units! snort!!! That defines it perfectly! Some are bigger units and some are worthless, huh? :)

I find it sad some churches worship the money and not the provider of it. I'm thankful mine doesn't. We have a church treasurer who accounts for all offering money and assigns it to where it's intended. Most offerings are for the general fund; some people have specific places they want their offering to go--like a building fund or something. The pastor and elders don't know who specifically gives what amount, unless someone approaches them and says they have X amount of money to give for Y purpose. Basically, it's the treasurer who knows the details of whom gives what.

And, it doesn't matter if you're a member or not. Every regular attender has an elder assigned to them and if you're in need of church help or pastoral attention, you get it. Our church doesn't push for membership. The elder board prefers people attend for at least 6 months before considering membership. That way, the attendee has a very clear idea of what we believe as a church and how the church operates. Non-members are limited to what service opportunities they can serve in, and non-members aren't subject to church discipline or being under elder authority (and by this, I mean spiritual authority--no one needs to ask the elders if they can go to the movies or buy a car. LOL). However, if someone's been consistently attending for a year, they are approached about membership, but it's pretty low-key. My pastor and elders are far more concerned about souls than bank accounts. And God has always abundantly provided for and blessed our church.

We do give 10% to our church, and we also contribute to the needs of missionaries we know and of the local homeless shelter on top of that. I used to have an awful time giving (I'd obsess about giving off of gross income vs. net, etc. etc.), but it seems that the more we give, the easier it becomes. It's a shame when churches become obsessed with money and it's wrong, but the bottom line with giving is that it's between you and God and how tightly you hold to the things of this world.

Well, yes, he is a good provider and is very level-headed with money. I do love that about him. The thing is, if we were giving 10%, it would not mean we couldn't eat or that our electric bill would lapse. KWIM? It would mean I would have to say, "Do I really need *these* shoes? I already have sandals, I just don't have a brown pair."

Giving 5% doesn't pinch us anywhere.

For my own dh, he sees far beyond the current budget. Without an increasing cushion in the bank account, he knows that even a minor emergency could put us in a pretty tight bind. If it's not increasing, then it will dwindle merely due to inflation. His planning and God's grace has steadied us quite a bit in this last year of unemployment.

But i know what you mean. :)

i would suggest doing what you can to tighten the budget so he can see an increase in the emergency funds even w/ an increase in giving. i also give a lot by being directly involved w/ some ministries and buying stuff for those: dh doesn't "count" the $20 of VBS snacks/supplies as part of our giving [it's not itemized as "VBS" on the credit card, lol], but I know it is exactly that.

good luck tho!

She would never tell the church that she could not afford to give her 10% all the time. .... yet she refused to ask the church for help.

Our church's reply to that in NY:

"How DARE you deny us the opportunity to be a blessing!!!!!"

;)

People --including the church-- WANT to help, are COMMANDED to help, and NEED to have those opportunities to help.

But of course, the telling part here?

Nobody at the church is in tune enough w/ this woman's life that they are aware of it even w/o her saying anything.:glare:

What does church membership mean? I have never heard of it before and I am feeling pretty stupid about now.

Church membership: varies from church to church, but basically you sign a form promising to Do Your Best to work w/in that specific congregation and agree to their doctrinal statements. Some insist that you perform certain actions [abstain from alcohol is a popular one, as is serving in some official capacity or number of activities/ hours]. Some see baptism/confirmation as default membership.

Church membership: varies from church to church, but basically you sign a form promising to Do Your Best to work w/in that specific congregation and agree to their doctrinal statements. Some insist that you perform certain actions [abstain from alcohol is a popular one, as is serving in some official capacity or number of activities/ hours]. Some see baptism/confirmation as default membership.

Yep, and that's opening up a whole new can of worms. :tongue_smilie: