Menu

Bats! What fun project have you done about bats?

• 2 weeks later...

We used the projects from Apologia's Zoo I:

Both are group activities.

1. A game of "Marco Polo" with bells for everyone instead of yelling... not as easy as it 'sounds!' Make sure the playing area is not too big.

2. Find your baby: Each student was assigned a scent (pepper, lemon, peppermint, etc.) and they had to locate their own 'pups' form a large batch of cotton balls prepared with the scents. We had 10 for each student (7) and laid them out on a tablecloth on the ground. Make sure the cotton balls are not too wet and they are not stored all together - the scents tend to mix together.

We also used the notebook/lapbook materials from homeschoolshare.com, watched Magic School Bus "Bats!" video, read "Stellaluna," and looked up many websites online.

Have fun!

ooo... DS and DH built a bat house! They found the plans for free online.

Then DS painted it a dark color, and put a big, yellow Batman symbol on the front of it. It was so cool.

When we left our last house, it was still there, waaayyy up on the side of the building. The landlords didn't even notice it.

a

Jennifer, Neat ideas. I'll definitely use some of those.

Thanks!

We used the projects from Apologia's Zoo I:

Both are group activities.

1. A game of "Marco Polo" with bells for everyone instead of yelling... not as easy as it 'sounds!' Make sure the playing area is not too big.

2. Find your baby: Each student was assigned a scent (pepper, lemon, peppermint, etc.) and they had to locate their own 'pups' form a large batch of cotton balls prepared with the scents. We had 10 for each student (7) and laid them out on a tablecloth on the ground. Make sure the cotton balls are not too wet and they are not stored all together - the scents tend to mix together.

We also used the notebook/lapbook materials from homeschoolshare.com, watched Magic School Bus "Bats!" video, read "Stellaluna," and looked up many websites online.

Have fun!

ooo... DS and DH built a bat house! They found the plans for free online.

Then DS painted it a dark color, and put a big, yellow Batman symbol on the front of it. It was so cool.

When we left our last house, it was still there, waaayyy up on the side of the building. The landlords didn't even notice it.

a

I am pretty sure we have bats flying around outside already. One of my dd's has put up something like 4 bird houses so she'd enjoy setting up a bat house as well (why not??!).

• 2 months later...
My son last year wanted to do a unit study on bats. After checking out a dozen books from the library (with pictures), I just couldn't do it. They freak me out!

Hahha!! Dd 18 asked me if I could hear the bats outside the other night as we came home late. She could actually distinguish their sounds from that of the chirping frogs and what-nots (she is a naturalist by birth, no idea whom she got that from). I could totally not hear a thing...

I can't say I am freaked out by bats as I never see them.

Well, this is the week we are going to do a unit on bats, but it'll mainly be bookwork after all.