Menu

Homeschoolers in the Norfolk/Chesapeake area...

Isn't homeschooling huge there? One of our shipmates is moving there soon and she said, "I would consider homeschooling if there was a good support system to help me."

She tried for a while out here, but gave up. She was entirely isolated, and that does NOT suit her personality.

Can I get the name or website of a support group in the area of the Navy base, or Chesapeake?

Thanks.

Jo

ETA: "she" would be the wife of the shipmate. I hear my mother correcting me in my head. :-)

Bumpety, bump, bump. :001_smile: (Time change and all...)

Are you kidding? It was huge when we lived there almost 10 years ago. BEACH was one of the larger groups. They ran a huge curriculum fair in VA Beach. I think that Homeschool Plus was in that area. Moore Expressions is/was a homeschool/used book store in the area. She might try contacting the store and asking after groups.

There were also many groups based in churches. Tabernacle Church of Norfolk was our church and they had a bunch of homeschoolers. I'm sure she'll find many more all through the area.

I live close to that area, and attend a weekly homeschool "School for the Arts" group (secular) that meets in that general area. You can pm me if you'd like more information about that for your friend. But yes, tell her that homeschooling is common in the area.

Bonnie

Guest Virginia Dawn

Yes it is very big in this area. There are quite a few support groups. Some churches have their own support group. There are sports and co-op opportunities and Moore Expressions is bigger than ever. I suggest she contact HEAV (Home Educators Association of Virginia). They have lists of support group contacts.

Yep, huge support for it here. There are several sports leagues just for homeschoolers, coops of all different flavors, field trip groups run by homeschoolers, etc. Search yahoo groups for a good place to start!

:iagree:

Yes there are a lot of homeschoolers out here. There are lots of groups. I do suggest she check out http://www.heav.org They have lots of great info. I know of a rather large group out here called T.E.A.C.H that does sports and all kids of things.

I'm out in Chesapeake and don't find it that isolated, but Chesapeake HUGE. There is no county because it's large enough to be an independant city.

I haven't joined any groups because we're don't care to, it's just not our thing but I have heard of a military specific group too.

Here's a link to the HEAV group list in Chespeake

Almost forgot to add, we have a great homeschool book store out here. Moore Expressions They both buy and sell used and new curriculum and they have a "beginners information package" for those just starting out. If she's totally new to hsing I would suggest she give them a call or stop in. Cherie and Joy the president and vice president of the store are wonderful sources of information. They also have a parents support night where the store is open extra hours for a "Parents only time" from 7-9pm on the last Thursday of every month. At all other times they are fine with kids being in the store and even have a small area with a futon and some coloring books/crayons and a play kitchen for the kids to use while you're pouring over the stacks of books, and I do mean stacks.

HTH

Edited by nukeswife

I cut and paste your quotes to my friend. She will be thrilled. She is extremely social. It sounds like that area has it all!

I really appreciate your help.

And thanks for all the links, Nukeswife. She will appreciate that. She is awaiting orders and has lots of anxious time on her hands. Really. How much can you look at homes for sale online, before you go crazy?:lol: Not that you would know Sebastian, a lady. The Navy likes to rip you out by the roots and move you as fast and far as possible. :D Are they talking about follow-on orders to Africom yet? :lol:

Thanks again.

Jo

Just wanted to add that she can subscribe to HEAV's weekly Homeschool Update while she's at their website and it will list many of the field trips/activities for that area. She can subscribe now - don't need to be a member and its FREE. I proofread the Update and have found that a great many of the activities announced in it are for that area.

Oh, and she will be fairly close to Williamsburg so she can easily take advantage of their spring and fall Homeschool Days. Admission costs are extremely inexpensive compared to their regular rates. That is announced in the HEAV Homeschool Update as well.