Menu

As an adult, would you order a kid's meal?

Absolutely. We don't eat most places that have kids meals, but I order the kids' combo at the movie theatre. It's $5 for a reasonable amount of popcorn, an 8oz soda, and a small bag of candy (DH appropriates the candy).

Why? Oh why? Oh why, would a "kid's meal" ("Happy" Meal) include deep-fried foods like French Fries?

Is there anything less healthful to feed to children (or anyone else)?

Bill

It's a treat food for my kids. They eat healthfully at home most of the time, and are very active physically.

I ordered a kid's meal at Ikea last week. The poor server must have thought I was too poor to afford an adult meal because she gave me very large portions while looking at me with a quizzical expression.

We rarely eat fast food, but sometimes (3 day road trips and the cooler is no longer cool?) we do.

I've ordered kids meals before when I just MUST have some salty greasy fries (usually I regret it) but usually we all get the cheapest meaty item and a water. So, at McD's I'd get a bag of 89 cent hamburgers, at Taco Bell I'd get the 10 pack of tacos (or whatever).

If I want to order a kids' meal, I ask if I may, and ask them to hold the toy (or give it to the next kid in line not ordering a kids meal).

It's a treat food for my kids. They eat healthfully at home most of the time, and are very active physically.

Being physically active doesn't undo the damage to human health caused by the acrylamides and trans-fats in deep-fried food, and especially deep-fried starchy foods like French fries.

And calling such hazardous faire "treats" strike me as a perverse use of language. French fries are a dangerous high-risk food that should not be served to children. Period.

And what kind of message does it send the kids to tell them they get a "treat", and then give them one of the worst possible "foods" they could possibly consume? It doesn't make sense.

Bill