Menu

Can a Really Bad Period turn you into an idiot?

I am having a very hard time today. It's day 2, and I feel awful. This is the second month in a row of this and I will be having an ultrasound when it's over this time.

But do you know what I just did?

And I'm sitting here crying because I feel like such a moron.

I put on a pot of coffee, measured it out, poured in the water, everything.

Then I sat back down.

I smelled the coffee and started thinking about drinking it.

Then my son walked in and said "Mom, is this supposed to be like this?"

He was pointing at the empty coffee pot sitting on the counter, surrounded by coffee. Yes, I brewed a pot of coffee without a pot and so it just went all over the counter. Yeah.

I know this is a funny picture. I know you're all laughing. I know that I will laugh about it eventually, but right now I feel like an idiot who can't even make a pot of coffee properly because she is being attacked by her uterus.

That is all. :mad:

I am having a very hard time today. It's day 2, and I feel awful. This is the second month in a row of this and I will be having an ultrasound when it's over this time.

Then I sat back down.

He was pointing at the empty coffee pot sitting on the counter, surrounded by coffee. Yes, I brewed a pot of coffee without a pot and so it just went all over the counter. Yeah.

I know this is a funny picture. I know you're all laughing. I know that I will laugh about it eventually, but right now I feel like an idiot who can't even make a pot of coffee properly because she is being attacked by her uterus.

Yeah, I think it might be possible. I'm sometimes worried about my brain around that time (mostly the day I start to three days after when my hormones plummet into the dark abyss). I just hope hope hope I don't have exams or clinical evaluations during that time.

On the bright side, now you have a REALLY clean kitchen counter!

...."Estrogen dominance". Rigth or wrong, it sure sounds better than "idiot", don't you think?

I'm sorry. Next week it will seem funny. But, no, I'm not laughing now, because I've been in your coffee-laden slippers, and it kinda stinks (the situation, not the slippers). Take care of you. Be easy on your brain. It won't last -- at least not to this degree.

(((anj)))

Doran

You know, the words "hysteria" and "hysterical" have the same Greek root as "uterus". In the past, doctors really *did* think that when women went crazy, it was related to the uterus...

So there ya go! ;)

I'm so sorry, A! If it helps, I know most of the members of my family have had that particular coffee making disaster at least once in their lives. Most of 'em seem to be pretty sane the rest of the time.

I'm glad you're getting this checked out...

I was wondering in a similar way, about this around at 3:30AM as I laid awake trying to read (and re read). For a couple of days, once a month, words make no sense in my brain. I'll stare at people like an idiot for 20 seconds after they make a statement, then ask - "What did you say?" I am no longer having that time of the month and it still happens, once a month.

And yes, I was laughing, but only because of BTDT.

Hugs.

I've done the coffee thing!I'm not sure if hormaones were to blame or not, I cannot remember if it was that week or not. I'm entering into perimenopause too and getting my period a week early and it stays for 6 days now instead of 2 1/2 to 3. I hate it...hurts more, I know i am cranky. Last week my Mr. Wonderful came home from work early with a pizza for the kids and I went to bed! Bless him...I don't think I yelled at him...hope not!;) I did thank him then and later....

I hope your ultrasound goes well and this can be remedied for you!

Jenny

Oh my gosh! That is priceless! I wanted to pick a favorite sentence to stick here, but there were several. Okay, maybe this one:

FYI, unless you're some kind of sick S&M freak girl, there will never be anything "happy" about a day in which you have to jack yourself up on Motrin and Kahlúa and lock yourself in your house just so you don't march down to the local Walgreens armed with a hunting rifle and a sketchy plan to end your life in a blaze of glory.

Thanks for the laugh.

And thanks to all of you. Your kind words mean a lot to me. I'm still miserable, but it's nice to know that I'm not alone. sad058.gif

Have you had your iron level checked? After heavy periods, I was anemic. On top of the hormones, my anemia made me even more forgetful. Now that I am taking iron I have less space out times.

One time I put the raw hamburger in the cupboard instead of the fridge. Found it a couple of days later.....eewwww.

Cedarmom

Thank you!!! I needed this. I am sitting here in this situation now :rolleyes: wishing for a jar of Nutella and loathing all of the cutesy commercial ideas! What are they thinking? White shorts on a beach....come on! I am glad, however, that I have managed to put all of my refidgerated items in the refridgerator this month. It is also nice to know that I don't have Alzheimers and it is normal! Whew!!!

Have you had your iron level checked? After heavy periods, I was anemic. On top of the hormones, my anemia made me even more forgetful. Now that I am taking iron I have less space out times.

One time I put the raw hamburger in the cupboard instead of the fridge. Found it a couple of days later.....eewwww.

Cedarmom

Anj, hey have some really gentle and very bioavailable iron on the market now, too. Your local compounding pharmacist might know about it. But of course, as Cedermom says, have the levels checked first.

Anj, hey have some really gentle and very bioavailable iron on the market now, too. Your local compounding pharmacist might know about it. But of course, as Cedermom says, have the levels checked first.

That's a possibility, although I had bloodwork done last month and I received a letter that said "within normal range." brick-wall-017.gif Gee, umm, thanks. I can do a lot with that information. What is normal range? At what end of that range did I happen to fall? Grrrrrrrrr....

By the end of my period last month I was having a major jones for a big old barely cooked steak. So I do think that my body was craving beef for a reason, even though my blood test didn't indicate anemia. So I'll look into that.

Now I'm frustrated with my doctor's office because last month they told me to call when my period started so that I could have the transvag. ultrasound between days 3-10, although the last couple of days in that range don't yield as reliable results. So I called today (day 2) and they tried to schedule me for Day 9. No can do. They offered Day 10, but I made a fuss about it so after waiting on hold for several minutes I was offered this Wed. morning. That is only Day 4, and I doubt that Aunt Flo will have made her departure by then, but they said it didn't matter. Ewww. And they said that they will be squeezing me in and I won't be able to talk to the doctor afterwards. Lovely. So I have to go in, be put through that humiliation, and then wait around until someone can call me with some results. Oh, and originally the reason for having it done in office was so that I could speak with the doctor right away.

This just s*cks. I know some people are offended by that word, but I'm in that kind of mood right now.

angry021.gif

Other than the F-bomb, the letter was absolutely hilarious. Another thing they could print on mine is something like "Don't yell at them...remember the indoor voice you keep telling them about" but maybe the pad is not long enough for all that:o.

It really has changed my life! It's been almost 18 months since I've had it, I spot for 24 hours and that is it! I regret not having it done sooner.

You know, you're the second person to mention that to me. I will look into it. Of course, the other person I know who had it ended up with a hysterectomy a couple of years later because the lining all came back or something like that. Yikes!

Saturday, the day before it's due, I had to run to the store to get ingredients for a church supper pot luck. To preface this just enough, I have 2 girls, 7 and almost 12 who love Hannah Montana. I have to admit, I hate most tv for kids but I am a fan too.

So I am listening to the local country station on the way to the store and as I am pulling in on comes "Get Ready, Get Set, Don't Go". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXdiKKsZxa4

I am in the car sobbing and it is at least 10 minutes before I can even get out of the car! (honestly, tears again, right now, seriously,)

Following the dinner at church, I can't find my coat with my cell phone in the pocket. The whole family and a bunch of friends spent a good 15-20 minutes looking. We finally gave up, I figured I would find it Sunday. We got home and there was my coat hanging up and my cell phone plugged into the charger!

Short version, I'm an idiot too, hang in there!

I have, in fact, made coffee and forgot to put the pot under it.

You get a hug too!!! What a day you had! And I've had episodes like yours with the coat and phone, I really have. hugging-079.gif

I don't know the song you mentioned, and I don't dare follow the link right now to find out. I'm expecting an Amish farmer at my door any minute now and I do not want my eyes to be all red and rimmy when he gets here. I'll wait a couple of days til I'm safely out of hormonal danger. :)

Anj--I don't know how old you are, I am 35 and I had a hysterectomy at 24, but I can tell you this-- when I had my period--good OR bad (is any period ever good?) I turned into a raving lunatic that made Lizzy Borden look Angelic.

And I am not exaggerating either.

It was only on the first day, but we figured out that not only did I immediately go anemic on that first day, I was clotting but not passing them as well. These clots would build up and only gradually release themselves throughout my period (7 flipping days at that!!) and only in small pieces, never one good piece.

It turns out that as I said, I was anemic on that first day. Then they discovered that I had something called an Inverted Uterus (I don't know the techy name for it, but basically my uterus was tilted, which is why my clots were not passing) and I had endometriosis.

Yes, it is possible for one to have "within normal range" counts and still be anemic, especially as you said, you end up craving raw meat like some deranged vampire who has been starved for a century.

I just take a multi-vitamin (and if I could afford it, I'd actually be taking prenatals because those really helped me out). Get the ultrasound and endure sweety. I didn't find it embarressing but I can understand why one would. And do as the doctor says. If he recommends a hyster, well, consider it. You may very well be experiencing something that only a hyster can correct.

Dh getting a vasectomy won't fix it this time. Unfortunately I had one young, but I truly don't regret having it. I don't miss the pain and suffering I went through once a month. Rest assured relief will be around the corner soon. ;)

(and I've never dumped coffee, but I've done equally as silly things, so no--you are not alone).

Thanks, Toni.

I will be really interested to see what comes of this ultrasound. My mom had a hysterectomy when she was 35 due to fibroids (I think.) I'm 42, so they're saying I may just be having perimenopause, and of course since my mom never entered that phase, I can't judge based on her experience.

I do think that I become anemic on the first couple of days. It's so obvious if I just read my body's signs, yk?

So tomorrow am is the ultrasound. In general I am not inhibited about such things at all, but in this case I'm concerned about the possibility of leakage, so.....

We'll see what happens next.

So tomorrow am is the ultrasound. In general I am not inhibited about such things at all, but in this case I'm concerned about the possibility of leakage, so.....

We'll see what happens next.

(((anj)))

I hope things go well for you tomorrow, and that the tech or Dr. doing the ultrasound puts you at ease. Remember that this is what they are trained to do, so even though it might seem unusual and uncomfortable to you, it's what they do every day. Very run-of-the-mill. They probably won't even remember you later. ;)

Keep us posted.

Ooops, my apologies. I didn't read the whole thread and didn't know you were undergoing testing for a potential problem. I thought we were just kidding around about menstral brain fogs, and was trying to interject my own brand of humor...

Hope all goes well with your tests, and that you're feeling better soon.

Ooops, my apologies. I didn't read the whole thread and didn't know you were undergoing testing for a potential problem. I thought we were just kidding around about menstral brain fogs, and was trying to interject my own brand of humor...

Hope all goes well with your tests, and that you're feeling better soon.

No problema, Robin. I could tell you were responding to the beginning of the thread. I appreciate your humor.

Thanks!

--a

I don't know about periods, but I hear your pain. Last pg, I actually called dh & told him I couldn't be left home alone w/ the dc...

after dropping my purse on the sidewalk in front of a gas station...

and not noticing...

and going inside...

and wondering at the checkout how to pay...

just as a stranger walked in w/...MY PURSE!!

You should have seen the look on his face when I, not even flustered yet, said, oh. yes. That's mine. Thank you. :eek:

and I won't know anything for a few days. There weren't any doctors present to read the scan, so they'll have one call me back when they get a chance to look at it. Ho hum.

I did notice something that looks kind of like a shooting star on my uterus. Do you think that's a cyst?

Also, after the tech walked away I looked at the screen that had my name on it and it gave the measurements of my ovaries and it said that one of my ovaries is larger than the other and its volume doubles that of the first one. Has anyone ever had that?

and I won't know anything for a few days. There weren't any doctors present to read the scan, so they'll have one call me back when they get a chance to look at it. Ho hum.

I did notice something that looks kind of like a shooting star on my uterus. Do you think that's a cyst?

Also, after the tech walked away I looked at the screen that had my name on it and it gave the measurements of my ovaries and it said that one of my ovaries is larger than the other and its volume doubles that of the first one. Has anyone ever had that?

I have non-symmetrical ovaries. Not by that much, but still.

Okay, so I heard from the doctor at 9:00 last night.

She said that I have a normal uterus, normal ovaries. The ovaries are asymmetrical, but within the normal range (thanks, Pam!) No fibroids, the uterine lining is 4mm. I kept pushing her though, to help me understand why I would be having so much pain and such a heavy flow. She didn't know, but said that I should have an endometrial biopsy taken, and also a pelvic MRI to look for adenomyosis .

So, that's something.

I'm really not one to go running around to doctors all the time, but I think that this is abnormal and I'd like to find out if there is an actual, physical cause, you know?

• 4 years later...

glad to hear your ultrasound came out well! I was going to add that anemia can make you an idiot...I am normally anemic, but when it gets bad, I get very forgetful. I am normally anemic, noticed it in college, well a few years ago, my flow got extra heavy, I don't know why, and after two years it went back to normal, but during that time I was very forgetful, to the point of crying from the awfulness of being so stupid.

hugs. Have your iron levels checked.

I know I have said this before, but it irks me that when you go in for your annual, or even there because of rude auntie flo who will not leave, that they give you a finger pick. That will NOT tell you if you are anemic. They are SO unreliable. GYN's should do a full iron panel every year, and especially if you are a heavy bleeder.

I.Just.Don't.get.it.

Mine was found only because I INSISTED on asking why my bloodwork numbers were abnormal in places they shouldn't be. I was finally referred to a hematologist, where he discovered my ferritin was only an 8.

And it is common for any woman who has their periods, heavy or not, to become anemic very quickly.

I take THREE iron pills a day. Have been for two years, and my ferritin now runs between 25-35. I will NOT have an ablation. So I choose the iron route. (I will be 45, so if bleeding gets any heavier or worse, they can rip out my uterus and be done with it once and for all)

And, Dr's will send you off for all these expensive tests, where a simple iron panel can be done first. Cheaper, and an easy fix. Just takes a lot of time. Anemia can cause forgetfulness, tired, short of breath, anxiety, high blood pressure, heart palpitations, feeling cold all the time, lightheaded, confusion, and headaches.

I am now tested every 4-6 months by my Heme Dr.

I was very angry at my GYN for dismissing my fingerpick that kept showing my hemoglobon at 10.5-11.5. That should have been a red flag right there, even if the test WAS inaccurate.

So many women are walking around with anemia and they don't even know it until it gets so low, you end up with a blood transfusion. I got lucky and needed IV iron. But even that stuff is nasty and it made me pass out.

Every woman should have a full iron panel done every year. Either by your GYN or your PCP. Especially if you are in your 40's, or a heavy bleeder.

I just keep praying that this just goes away. She is no longer welcome.

Hope you feel better.:grouphug:

Then I sat back down.

Day two was always bad, in my forties. It does pass! Now they are light and week and infrequent! It will come to pass, I promise.

At any rate, I've done this without having any excuse at all. We all have a glitch now and then. Don't worry...you are in good company.

Everything will be better tomorrow.

I talked menstration w/my pain specialist :001_huh:

I thought I was being weird, but it seemed like my pain levels rocketed w/my period.

I finally screwed up the courage to look like an idiot, only to have him stare at me and reply, "Yes, of course." Not that I was an idiot for asking, but an idiot for not putting it together before now. :lol:

So, in my case, having my period DOES make me an idiot, for more than one reason. :lol:

ETA: Serves me right, not reading the whole thread before replying!