Menu

Scratched non-stick pan: Toss or use?

I have been given a barely-used Farberware non-stick frying pan. Although only plastic utensils were used on it, there still are scrapes on the bottom of the pan. I've heard that one should not use non-stick pans after they start peeling--but this is not peeling, just scratched.

Do I use it? Do I get rid of it?

Thanks.

If it's just slightly scratched I would use it, but I know that as soon as they start peeling they should be tossed. I confess that I don't toss them right away, and I know it's really bad, but they need to be thrown away when that happens.

I have been given a barely-used Farberware non-stick frying pan. Although only plastic utensils were used on it, there still are scrapes on the bottom of the pan. I've heard that one should not use non-stick pans after they start peeling--but this is not peeling, just scratched.

Do I use it? Do I get rid of it?

Thanks.

Hmm. On the old board, I distinctly remember somebody's brother (??) who was in the industry who said even one scratch necessitates tossing. If I remembered how to do a global search, I'd try to find it for you.

It depends on how badly you need the pan!

I used scratched pans for years, partly because they were all we had. I was blessed enough to be able to buy a whole new set of fancy-schmancy cookware and happily tossed my scratched pans.

If it's easily replaceable, replace it. Otherwise, use it unless it starts to peel. :D