Menu

growing your own produce year round

I have not done my own garden for a few years. (health issues don't ask)

Can someone reccomend a simple plan month by month to plant and harvest year round? Or a website? We are doing the simple summer garden. I am great with summer gardens, but get lazy with fall/winter spring gardens. I also know how to save my own seeds.

I had no idea that so many vegetables were becomming genetically engineered. I just can not afford $2 per cucumber, $5 for a head of lettuce, $2 per squash etc. for organic. I don't want have my own produce available when I want and need it. I can grow my own, I have just got in a lazy pattern.

Guest Virginia Dawn

It depends on where you live. Here in South Eastern VA, I can plant spinach and kale in early September. Sometimes they will overwinter. I think you can do garlic too, but I flubbed my try at it. I'm going to try again next year.

At the end of February or the beginning of March, I can plant onions, peas, spinach, kale, and chinese cabbage, and carrots. Other root vegetables will probably do well too but I haven't tried them.

You need to figure out what will work for your area. The timing of planting and harvest will be radically different if you live in Florida vs Maine or the southeast vs the pacific north west.

You basically need to create your own plan/calendar, which isn't as hard as it sounds. It helps to have one or two basic books for reference and the information on particular seeds.

Find your average frost free date for the spring (the old farmer's almanac has information on ff dates and phases of the moon etc). Write on the calendar what needs to be planted based on your average frost free date. Also figure out if you can/want to start peppers, tomatoes etc inside or if you are going to buy plants.

We don't harvest by calendar, we harvest when something needs harvested.

There are fewer things to plant in the fall, but you are right it is more difficult to keep going in the fall. We find that it helps us to follow one thing with another. We plant pumpkins in the space where the peas grew, so there is no real thought involved. When the peas are done, the plants are taken out and the pumpkins planted. You can do the same for other things too. We also are very careful to always plant garlic in the fall (we love hardneck garlic and can't grow enough).

There are months where the garden requires much more work. You just can't even out the work. Winter is the best time for planning. Thinking of summer and eating fresh veggies when there is snow on the ground is fun.

To reduce our work weeding and tilling, we have raised bed. To reduce the work of watering and water usage, we put in a new drip irragation system this year. This is alot of work at the beginning, but it makes it easier over time. But I would suggest to start small and keep doing more and more each year, so that you don't get overwhelmed.

Here are some books that you might use as reference--

The Garden Primer by B. Damrosch

Four Season Harvest by Coleman

any book by Rodale