Menu

What magazines do you subscribe to (for your kids)?

I'm going to be getting Odyssey and Appleseeds for my kids, but after looking at the other magazines Cobblestone offers (Calliope and Cobblestone especially) I'm thinking about getting more. That's a lot of subscriptions though, and they're kind of expensive so it's going to add up quick. We were getting Ranger Rick and National Geographic for Kids, but I think we're just going to switch over to Odyssey and Appleseeds. We're definitely quitting NGK because of all the ads.

Anyone have any favorites? Or ones to avoid?

I researched kid's magazines long and hard. I hate magazine ads, I think that targeting children for things like fast food in a magazine is wrong. Very strategic, but morally wrong. Anyhow, here's what we ended up with: Click! (http://www.cricketmag.com) and Ranger Rick. We didn't go with National Geo. Kids for the advertisement reason. Highlights just didn't appeal to my son (ds 5) and the Nick JR mag wasn't even an option. I love the content of the Click! magazine. I think they really know what there doing at Carus Publishing. They are the umbrella over Cricket and Cobblestone I believe. My son is (obviously) young, and it looks like they have some great mags for older kids too. They also have an option for a 5 year subscription that you can switch the magazine titles at any time. That way it can "grow" with your kids(s) or switch kids completely. Good luck! I'd love to hear what others are reading as well!

We've subscribed to different ones over the years, but at this point Boys' Life, the Boy Scouts' publication is the only one we get. DS LOVES this magazine. It's full of great stories about scouts doing neat things like scuba diving, hiking the Appalachian Trail, doing service projects, etc. Most magazines (kids and grown-up) just end up being clutter. But DS has a place for his in his room and re-reads the old issues over and over.

My daughter has a subscription to Odyssey and loves it. In the past she's also gotten Cricket and Highlights - both great magazines. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the magazines by Carus. We're able to get back issues of Calliope and Dig (and most other Carus magazines) at our local library.

I was also disappointed with the advertisements in National Geographic Kids. I would love to see them revamp their magazine to look more like the adult NG - maybe even have the same topics every month, but geared toward kids.

In the past we've done Highlights magazine. Great thread because we really don't get many children's magazines due to the advertisements in most of them.

Though my oldest has a way with her dad when it comes to getting Nick Magazine.

Wow!! Thanks SWM! I just checked out the Kids Discover mag and we'll definately be subscribing. It looks great.:001_smile::001_smile:

(Like I really need more paper in this house... alas, what I suffer for love of my children:D)

Also American Girl and Jack and Jill.
No way! Jack and Jill? That was my favorite!!! magazine when I was a kid. I didn't know it still existed.

My 9yods gets Boy's Life. I think that is a great mag. My 12yodd gets Ranger Rick; has been for years and year, and just subscribed to Cat Fancy as her birthday present. Little man doesn't get a mag. yet. I have taken Kids Discover before and it was really great. My main problem seems to be the way magazines never leave. We have enough Ranger Rick and Your Big Backyard back-issues to wallpaper the zoo.

We have a lot of mags that we get regularly - mostly because it is difficult to get books on specialized hobbies and on the new & shiny topics in technology w/out them. We get: Make, Discover, Scientific American, RC Driver, Boys Life, RC Flyer, Model Aviation and Air & Space. We also pick up some special interest history publications at the book store - such as WWII battles, etc.

My parents usually give my dc subscriptions. Odyssey & Appleseeds are the two newest ones (we love them.) Other ones that are okay are Yes and Know (2 different magazines) as well as the National Geographic Kids magazines. One or more of those are Canadian (the Yes & Know)

The only one I'm planning to pay for next year is a high school chemistry one that I ordered; I can't think of the name of it at the moment. I'd love to find a good history one for my 11 yo someday.

We've subscribed to different ones over the years, but at this point Boys' Life, the Boy Scouts' publication is the only one we get. DS LOVES this magazine.

I did a research project on kids' magazines years ago and Boys' Life was far and away MY favorite! The writing style and content were really interesting to me, and I was an adult woman, not a boy! I thought the attitude of the magazine (teaching them to do things and so forth) was very positive, and all the girls' magazines, including the non-makeup/boy variety were exceedingly juvenile in comparison. Are there any intelligent magazines for girls?

ETA: Thanks so much for the reminder on some of these magazines, and introductions to new ones.

Edited by stripe