Menu

Summer Drink Ideas

So, my husband complained that I just went shopping yet there is nothing cold to drink in the fridge. Not entirely true as there is milk in there. LOL

We usually have apple or orange juice frozen concentrate and soda. The kids have gone through 4 pitchers of lemonade in 3 days. We make the lemonade with lemon juice concentrate, sugar, and water. I don't care for it because it tastes bitter to me but we can't afford the lemons to make it fresh, nor do we have a juicer so it's a lot of work to make. No one drinks any kind of tea here.

Besides water, what you do drink during the summer?

So, my husband complained that I just went shopping yet there is nothing cold to drink in the fridge. Not entirely true as there is milk in there. LOL

We usually have apple or orange juice frozen concentrate and soda. The kids have gone through 4 pitchers of lemonade in 3 days. We make the lemonade with lemon juice concentrate, sugar, and water. I don't care for it because it tastes bitter to me but we can't afford the lemons to make it fresh, nor do we have a juicer so it's a lot of work to make. No one drinks any kind of tea here.

Besides water, what you do drink during the summer?

ER, EK & I usually drink water, but dh MUST have his tea. ;) I sometimes make lemonade from generic KoolAid mix (I get the packets at Walmart for 10 cents each & add sugar & water).

Here in NC iced tea is required. We also usually have apple juice (I dilute it), and cranberry/apple juice. My kids also make smoothies with milk, ice, yogurt, and whatever fruit I happen to have. I also keep cold water bottles in the fridge.

We like raspberry zinger tea, it tastes like raspberry kool-aid IMO.

It doesn't have caffeine in it either. I've tried some other fruity teas, but they weren't yummy IMO.

Do you make it cold? And if you do, how?

Now that there are starting to be berries in season stick some of them in the freezer. Once they are frozen put them in the blender with some juice, I also like to add banana. Gives you loads of fruit with your cold drink.

This is what we do too. We also fill up the blender 2/3's full of ice, 1/3 fruit, pour juice in to fill, then blend when we want something really cold.

I make lemonade from Santa Cruiz organic lemoin juice (not from concentrate)

http://www.scojuice.com/products/juices and maple syrup (instead of sugar). My husband calculated that it is cheaper then using real lemons.

I know you are not big tea drinkers, but for hot days this is what is awesome: make mint tea (herbal tea bags are fine, or normal tea and bunch of mint leaves), add ice and lemon juice and honey or sugar or maple syrup. We love it.

My husband likes something cold when he comes home, too. Just last week he said he doesn't want us drinking too much soda this summer. We don't drink much at all (except pizza/Italian food nights), but he doesn't want us to start liking it I think!

I found a large Instant Nestea (Decaf) at Walmat. Two tablespoons make a quart. Then I put in 1/4 teaspoon of stevia (zero calorie sweetener) and a few slices of real lemon. It tastes really good and no calories!

My mom always made the best drink for summer. Even now as an adult I love it & it takes me back in time.:001_smile: And it's so simple....mix a can of pineapple juice with 2 quarts raspberry Kool Aid. That's it!

Also, we just finished a rainforest unit study. We made "rainforest punch." It was just a can of pineapple juice mixed with a 2-liter Sprite. It was delicious and very refreshing.:)

Here in NC iced tea is required. We also usually have apple juice (I dilute it), and cranberry/apple juice. My kids also make smoothies with milk, ice, yogurt, and whatever fruit I happen to have. I also keep cold water bottles in the fridge.

How do you make your sweet tea? In Texas we would do sun tea in the summer, but it's been cool and cloudy here in CO and I'm starting to NEED my sweet tea!

Jennifer

How do you make your sweet tea? In Texas we would do sun tea in the summer, but it's been cool and cloudy here in CO and I'm starting to NEED my sweet tea!

Jennifer

Well, I'm in Canada, so I'm having less heat then Texas :D so I thought I'd answer, lol! It is simple, but a bit time consuming. Regular tea bags, boil water, make tea, steep to whatever strength you desire, remove tea bags, cool, then strain either through cheese cloth or I usually used a cone filter for a 1 cup coffee maker. Time consuming, but no matter what I did, I always had 'floaties' in my tea. Blech. (Probably cause I had cheap tea bags) Serve with sugar and lemon wedges.

You *can* make sun tea here...just on rarer occasions :glare: or set the pitcher out for waaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than you would in Texas :lol:

Would you mind sharing your proportions of lemon juice to water? I use Santa Cruz brand, too. Also use their lime juice for limeade.

With maple syrup now selling here for $20 per quart, I don't see that it is cheaper to make lemonade with that for sweetener !

Thanks !

I make lemonade from Santa Cruiz organic lemoin juice (not from concentrate)

http://www.scojuice.com/products/juices and maple syrup (instead of sugar). My husband calculated that it is cheaper then using real lemons.

Crystal Light decaff iced tea.

Lisa

Do you find it to specifically say "decaf"? I never find that. I LOVE Crystal Lite Peach Iced Tea.

I also love Iced Coffee in the summer. I just pour my leftover morning coffee from the pot into a pitcher to chill and later add a little milk and Splenda and even a little vanilla. Mmmmmmm.....

I like to keep a pitcher of sweet tea (decaf) in the fridge at all times (although since DH doesn't do sugar we sometimes have either Crystal Light or unsweet tea...)

But when you say "summer drinks" the first thing that comes to mind is a gin and tonic.... ;)