Menu

Nutrition confusion

I have done nutrition consults periodically over the years. Also, I worked closely with a nutritionist and a dietician during each of my pregnancies (gestational diabetes). So, I am fairly well informed. I'd say more so than the average bear.

Okay, I recently did a consultation with a nutritionist to tweak my lifestyle and drop a few pounds - more than 5 less than 10. Nutritionist A had to leave so Nutritionist B finished up the time. They totally contradicted each other.

A said to go much lower fat (my cholesterol is way low by the way).

B said increase good fats to curb hunger.

A said to use fat substitutes only (margarine, fat free mayo, etc)

B said no fat substitutes at all - use the "real deal" just in moderation.

A said use sugar substitutes only, preferably Splenda.

B said use natural sugars - preferably honey, but also turbinado, agave, etc - in moderation.

A said workout every day - just drink more water.

B said take a full 24 hours off between workouts.

A said green tea or other source of caffeine in moderation - 1/day.

B said not caffeine at all.

Hello! I did ask for clarification. B said it was 2 sides of the same coin, both are right. :confused: A did call me later to follow up and said B was more conservative, and what choices I made are up to me. Well, yes, but they are opposite of each other.

Anyone have any thoughts on any of this??

I have no nutritional education at all, but I personally would go with B more than A simply because I cannot believe that chemically created food is better than real food, even "unhealthy" real food. Yeah, you might lose weight, but at what cost?

This is why I find it hard to believe all of the different nutritional theories out there.

I would be more inclined to listen to B, particularly on the first three points. Natural foods - good fats, natural sweeteners, etc. make far more sense than synthetic alternatives. To me, that just feels like common sense. It's also in alignment with nutritional experts that I trust. I especially agree with the idea to eat good fats to curb hunger... we are not meant to have fat-free diets, and there are lots of healthful foods out there that are great for you but considered high fat. Take avocados, for example.

As for caffeine, I would say reviews on that are mixed and you should look at what feels best to you. Do you feel ok with some, or do you feel like you'd be better off with none? I think everyone is different, so you have to think about how your body feels. (Which actually applies to everything.)

Which set of advice resonates with you more? What does your gut say is the right thing to do?

I vote B too. Fat does curb hunger and you will eat less, just make sure they are good fats (almonds, olive oil.) I like to eat "real" foods and just remember to eat in moderation. I have always read and heard to take a day off between major excersizing to give your body a chance to heal and recover. This does not mean being sedentary the rest of the time just not a heavy workout everyday. I think a little caffiene is ok especially if it is green tea, although no caffiene would be best. HTH Good luck!

I would do a blend of what they are saying:

Eat healthy fats, (avocado, almonds, walnuts, olive oil, coconut oil) in limited amount.

If you need to use mayo, cream cheese, cottage cheese or milk use fat free. I would skip butter and use coconut oil.

For sweeteners go with Stevia and agave nectar.

It is ok to do cardio every day but strength training should be every other day, max.

Decaf green tea is suppose to be excellent for you - antioxidants.

If you have a specific/serious health problem, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, or diabetes etc You might want to follow some of A's information. But you indicated you just want to makes some tweaks, so Bs plan seems more reasonable in your situation. But you might review each suggestion and figure out which one would be best for you.

Thank you ladies!! I didnt know whether to laugh or cry after that consult! It was just so silly.

I do believe in keeping an eye on my lifestyle and nutrition after 2 times around with gestational diabetes. But, the labs are excellent. In fact, each year for the past 5 years, they get better. I want to keep it that way too! That is why I was so frustrated by the opposite info I was getting!!

I do plan to follow B. Some of her advice was new to me, but most of it, I have been doing for several years now.

I have done nutrition consults periodically over the years. Also, I worked closely with a nutritionist and a dietician during each of my pregnancies (gestational diabetes). So, I am fairly well informed. I'd say more so than the average bear.

Okay, I recently did a consultation with a nutritionist to tweak my lifestyle and drop a few pounds - more than 5 less than 10. Nutritionist A had to leave so Nutritionist B finished up the time. They totally contradicted each other.

B said use natural sugars - preferably honey, but also turbinado, agave, etc - in moderation.

Hello! I did ask for clarification. B said it was 2 sides of the same coin, both are right. :confused: A did call me later to follow up and said B was more conservative, and what choices I made are up to me. Well, yes, but they are opposite of each other.

definitely B, but I think green tea is perfectly fine, and perhaps coffee irregularly. I also think exercise every day is healthy. :001_smile:

Guest Virginia Dawn

Another vote for B! Noone should be told to eat margarine instead of butter.

The caffeine thing is debatable.

Hmmm, I think first I'd ask for a refund of any money paid for this contradictory advice. If that's what I wanted, I'd just go to the library and read the zillion different books, oh wait, I have done that, lol. I've only gone to a dietician twice .....and thankfully both times (years apart, different states, different people) were pretty much the same advice. It made me realize after the second consult that obviously I already knew the answers....but I was hoping for someone to tell me that they'd invented the magic pill for weight loss and health, lol. Eating healthy requires a lifestyle change, not a 2 week "diet" and then a return to your unhealthy choices. But it also doesn't mean that you can never have birthday cake and ice cream again either. Just not the whole cake anymore.

A MAJOR part of losing weight, eating healthy, is motivation to stick to it. If the only way you'll be able to stick to the eating plan is to use Splenda products....then absolutely do it. If real butter is one of those triggers for you where just one bite of it makes you want to melt the entire block and slather it on any food in sight.....ummm, sorry, distracted there.....then definitely stick with the margarine or whatever else isn't a trigger. If you give up on the plan before it has a chance to become your new eating plan, then it was useless. If you simply must have a piece of chocolate everyday......then do it....in moderation and buy GREAT chocolate so you only need a half ounce. No, it's generally not considered part of a weight loss plan, but if that little bit will get you through the plate of veggies without sauce and steak without butter dripping, then it's worth it.

"B" sounds very strict for someone struggling......"A" isn't perfect but for most people even it would be a struggle. But either one should help you to lose the small amount of weight you want......the real goal though should be lifestyle changes so that you're not back wanting to lose 10 pounds again next year. If that means indulging in some of the "A" choices, then so be it. Yo Yo weight loss is very harmful to your body, even small amounts, not to mention what it does to your morale!

As for the exercise....what is the purpose of waiting 24 hours? Don't most people exercise about the same time each day anyway? It almost sounds like she's talking about extremely intense muscle exhertion...that's the only time I've heard waiting 24 hours (not that I'm an expert, but I've read every weight loss/exercise book on the planet I think). What I've found the most reasonable advice about exercise is, like the food, do what works for you. If riding a stationary bike for an hour works go for it....but if it makes you so bored you avoid the very room it's in at all costs, then 10 minute power walks a couple times a day may do you a lot more good. I hate the very thought of exercise.....but if I don't call it exercise then somehow I can do it. I power walk whenever I'm going somewhere (thank heavens my kids are big enough to keep up, probably wouldn't have worked when they were toddlers, lol). When we go somewhere, I park as far away as safe/reasonable and we power walk to the door. In the library I purposely keep my library list UNorganized....so I pull the books in the order on my list....which usually means going from one side of the library to the other several times....always power walking. In the grocery store you would think that I was a crazy woman.....I power walk that cart up and down the aisles telling the kids what to grab, lol. I DON'T take the advice in many organizational/cleaning books that tell you to use a laundry basket or something and go through each room once during the day to move things that don't belong to the proper room. When I see something that doesn't belong I will take it whereever it needs to go....power walking up the stairs or down the hall if possible. Not only does it mean I don't have to see the offending mess a million times that day, I got in a 2 minute power walk. Make extra trips around the house instead of waiting until later. I used to wear a pedometer because I had read 10,000 steps is the daily goal......when I was consistently doing 12 to 15k I stopped wearing it. I'm fairly sure I do more now. When I was first starting with the ped if I hadn't made the 10k by dinner, I forced myself to power walk around the block before I could eat (a possibly contradictory motivation, but it worked). Power walking is obviously more intense then strolling, but if you need to start slower, go for it, building up as you gain strength motivation and confidence.

If you build exercise into your daily routine so that you don't have to find a block of time, place, motiviation to do it, you might be able to stave off the reoccurence of those 10 pounds next time. And be able to eat a few things not on either A or B without guilt.

Ok, I'll PM you my consultation billing, lol.

Seriously though....good luck in your endeavour. I have lost the equivalent of one middle elementary child but still have another to go. But slow and steady has kept me motivated, focused and not back sliding, so it's a good thing! But, if anyone hears about that magic pill, let me know.

Another problem with low fat foods is that sugar is often increased to make up for the reduction in fat content -- and surgar makes me crave more food!

The excercise info isn't contradictory. Every day is 24 hours between sessions. However my excercise instructor recommended alternating what parts of your body you worked hard to give them 48 hours to recover.

More recent research is showing that diabetes, candida, etc might be more related to dietary fat intake that results in the sugar spike in the blood because the insulin can't deliver the glucose to the cells quickly enough (due to fat deposits on the cells) and therefore it stays in the bloodstream which results in elevated blood glucose levels... Dr. Furhman talked extensively about this in one of his books. Anyway, low fat is good- however, that doesn't mean you shouldn't have any fats... small quantities of GOOD FATS (walnuts, almonds, some avocado, etc) are essential to good health. Processed fats are another story- I would avoid them. As for sugars, I would use only whole foods- fruits, veggies, etc. avoid processed foods, flours, and sugars, especially Splenda and other artificial sweeteners. I would use a tiny bit of agave or stevia or maybe a little honey if desired in small quantities. Anyway, that is my opinion after spending the last 6 years researching diet, nutrition, natural healing, and herbs.

Here's my opinions:

Go with good fats. It does help fill you up.

I think a combination is fine...whatever you feel comfortable with.

If you're trying to keep your blood sugar under control, lose weight, maintain weight, or watch your carb intake, you might use natural sugars in moderation, or sugar substitutes. The more severe your sugar situation is (needing to lose weight or watch blood sugar) the less real sugar you should consume (white or brown sugar, honey, fruit, etc).

I agree with A here. If there seems to be a need for a 24 hr break after working out, I'd decrease your workout session instead, work out every day, and gradually increase as desired.

Caffeine! As much as you want (unless you're pregnant)

I have always read and heard to take a day off between major excersizing to give your body a chance to heal and recover. This does not mean being sedentary the rest of the time just not a heavy workout everyday.

I had some physical therapy recently, and each time I went, an employee's husband was there working out. I believe he came in a few times a week, as well as working out at home and at the Y. I overheard a lot of the advice from the physical therapist. She advised him to work on different muscle groups each day, and to give those muscle groups a couple of days rest. But it was ok to work out each and every day.

Overall, I favor "B" -- but not completely. So I'll masquerade as "Q", the non-credentialed, completely self-educated respondent.

Q: Stay with low-fat, but let that fat be olive oil primarily, perhaps with some canola oil. Take Omega-3-rich fish oils.

Q: A margarine free from all trans-fats is fine. Earth Balance brand, for example, contains no trans-fats, and no hydrogenated oils. I have not baked with butter in several years. (I never have cooked with butter or margarine, anyway, nor spread such on bread.) I wouldn't let any other margarine anywhere near my body ! !

[ingredients, from website]:

Non-GMO INGREDIENTS: Expeller-pressed natural oil blend (soybean, palm fruit, canola

and olive oils), filtered water, pure salt, natural flavor, (derived from corn, no MSG, no

alcohol, no gluten), soy protein, soy lecithin, lactic acid (non-dairy, derived from sugar beets),

colored with beta-carotene from natural sources. Contains soy.

[end of ingredients list]

Q: I don't understand B's 24-hour gap between workouts. Not unless a "workout" means to hike the entire Appalachian Trail in 1.5 days. What I understand is that workouts should vary in content.

Q: My heart is with B for "no caffeine." A is right, however, that green tea includes health-promoting substances.

Q: Sugar is sugar is sugar. The few molecules of minerals and other "healthy nutrients" are negligible. All sugars pack on pounds. B's list is better than A's. Our family prefers the lighter taste, lower viscosity of agave nectar. I shifted to stevia (herb) and/or xylitol for sweetening tea and coffee.

Questions from Q: What do A and B believe about vegan and/or vegetarian diet -- especially those two diets modified only to include fish? (I haven't found a "name" for that -- although it is what I follow.)

What about "good" fats (walnuts, avocado, etc.)?

In general, A & B did not address very many salient issues in good nutrition !

I don't quite see how these are contradictory. For example, I work out every day, but at the same time...which I think most people who work out everyday do exercise at about the same time.

If you are wanting a quick fix, a is probably the one. If you are wanting a healthier lifestyle, you need to go with b. A will get you the weight loss but would be an unhealthy diet to stay on long term. B will get you the weight loss at possibly a slower rate but if you stick to this will give you a healthier body and a diet that you can follow long term to keep that weight off.

B is definitely healthier answers.

Splenda is NOT good for you. Margarine is not good for you.

Real, natural fats are good and necessary for your body. (read the book "Nourishing Traditions")

Limit sugar. If you want a natural sweetener use Stevia. It's a sweet herb. Also honey in moderation.

As far as the exercise, you need 24 hours off in between weights (you shouldnt lift weights 2 days in a row). I would do about 5-6 days/week of some kind of exercise. Including 2-3 days of weights. 2-3 days of cardio. You can alternate days and take Sundays off. Include stretching and yoga in this 1 time per week as well.

Hope that helps!

Yep, smarter than the average bear.

Been down the GD road twice myself.

Go with B. Stick to the natural stuff in moderation. Did you know that all those substitute sugars mess up your kidneys- a diabetics body cannot tell the difference & will really mess you up. There is little you can't do with agave.

Sticking with the B's on this one!

Robyn

I have no nutritional education at all, but I personally would go with B more than A simply because I cannot believe that chemically created food is better than real food, even "unhealthy" real food. Yeah, you might lose weight, but at what cost?

This is why I find it hard to believe all of the different nutritional theories out there.

Yep, this. We have been told to stick with natural foods as much as possible and avoid substitute foods.