Menu

How to place with Daily Grammar Practice

busymama7

How would I decide where to place my 7th grader who has had little grammar? We got through about 1/4 of RS english this year before we decided it just wasnt for us. I like the look of DGP, but can't decide if I should just buy grade 7 and hope to help him catch up or what. Thanks!

I was in a similar position to yours this year with my 8th grader. He used the Easy Grammar Plus Student Workbook and the Easy Grammar -Grade 7 Daily Grams. IMO, Daily Grams is not a sufficient grammar program on its own. If your dc skills need some serious improvement, I would suggest doing the Easy Grammar program itself. Daily Grams can be added for extra support, or used during the summer for review. My ds made considerable progress this year and I am pleased with the results.

Easy Grammar Plus

Easy Grammar Plus Student Workbook

Daily Grams 7

If you are talking about the program from DGP Publishing then I would suggest starting with grade 5. It is the first year that diagramming is introduced. There is a comprehensive list of terms and definitions at the beginning in the teacher's manual.

I think this method is less heavy on teaching with lots of definitions, but instead chooses to teach through application. For instance, once you have a general idea what a noun is you then go find all the nouns in the week's sentence (among other things). You analyze this same sentence for the entire week and will see each words' function over and over again. I see it as "learning by doing". My children were learning about compliments this week, a new term to them. We discussed what the teacher's guide defined them as and then let it be. By the end of the week they rattled off what a compliment was and it will be easy to find one in another week's sentence.

Then again...

If you wanted to start with grade 7 you could do that by having your child get familiar with the various terms first and then just jump in. :) You really learn by doing in this program. I love how you live with just one sentence per week. I think it creates a nice "hook" for your memory of the definitions and applications to hang on. Since it is only one sentence, it is not going to be terribly overwhelming.