Menu

If we were to complete a 4 years of Discovering Mathematics...

Where would that leave us for 11th grade? Algebra 2? Trig? Am I right in thinking that if we were to do at least 3 years that geometry would be covered? I really like the looks of the program from the samples and I am thinking that maybe I won't switch to a conventional algebra 1 for 8th grade. These are the thoughts that I am having for my oldest, mathy ds who will be in 7th grade next year.:bigear:

I will let you know what I find out. I just haven't actually gotten around to posting over there yet. I just really like the looks of the samples and I have had a great experience using Early Bird and Primary Math 3A-B and 4A this year. I just think it would be nice to stick with the program all the way through if we start it and because of its non-traditional sequence, I think that once we start it that we will be committed to.

http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/SSSecMath2008.pdf

This is the scope and sequence for the various secondary Singapore math programs. According to the SM website, the series integrates pre-algebra, algebra, and geometry and includes some trigonometry and advanced math topics. In WTM it says NEM should be counted as pre-algebra, algebra 1, algebra 2, and geometry, and since DM has a similar scope, I assume a Trig book would come next (???).

I don't really know the answer, but that is my current thinking. :D

I just think it would be nice to stick with the program all the way through if we start it and because of its non-traditional sequence, I think that once we start it that we will be committed to.

I'm going to use just the first year of DM as a year of pre-algebra before starting a more traditional US sequence. I think if you went past the first year you'd be committed to the end.