Menu

May I suggest?

For those days when a child is under the weather (but not deathly ill), or Mom is ill or you just need a break from the usual -

http://www.net-games.biz/puzzle-games/

Super Stacker 2 - is a great game for math and science skills. You have to stack and balance shapes. My dd7 played this morning and told me "Mom, I'm having so much fun but I'm learning!" She could do all the easy level pretty much by herself - although she did have to do some trial and error. She got half way through the medium level before it got to be too hard for her.

Civi-balls - is a challenging game where you have to get balls into these vases. You have to use scientific thinking using arcs, balancing etc. to solve the puzzle.

Ritris Puzzle game - a Tetris clone but you "draw" your own four cube shape to fit the space as well as you can. Good for spacial geometric thinking.

Fishdom - no educational value whatsoever (in my opinion)! But I got addicted with this Bejeweled clone. You play for "money" which you spend in outfitting an aquarium.

These are pretty much the only games at this site I've tried but I was surprised to find the first 3 "educational" games when I had been only looking for something to keep me from boredom.

Do you have any suggestions of books, videos, games etc. for those days when you need something easy, different but still at least moderately educational?

I could have used this info a few weeks ago when I was down with pneumonia! Thanks!

What comes to mind for rainy days... boring days... down days...

Having the kids play dominoes... cards... board games that we never use...

Or... for FUN get out the small-ish tents and let them have at it in the back yard... hours of fun!!

Thats all that comes to mind at the moment... outside of setting up a family tournament of a video game... which doesn't work so well with smaller families...

Hope all goes well there!

For those days when a child is under the weather (but not deathly ill), or Mom is ill quote]

I hope you are feeling OK. If not, I hope you get better soon! :D

Oh - I'm feeling better from my double ear infections although I'm still on antibiotics for a week. No, today it is ds11 who has a fever and has slept off and on all day. Dd7 is the one who benefited from having something new to do since she has had to be relatively quiet for her brother's sake.

Oh - I'm feeling better from my double ear infections although I'm still on antibiotics for a week. No, today it is ds11 who has a fever and has slept off and on all day. Dd7 is the one who benefited from having something new to do since she has had to be relatively quiet for her brother's sake.

I hope he gets better soon. "Lots of liquids..." my mom always says.