Menu

Britons - what do you use for handwriting?

Laura Corin

I used HWT for cursive when I was teaching Calvin, because he had horrible handwriting when I pulled him out of school and he needed to start over.

Hobbes is a different case. He has good printing (HWT) but I dread starting over with cursive as he is a perfectionist who really hates making mistakes. Have you used any UK joined-up-writing books that would allow me just to adapt his printing? I was thinking about something that looked like what I learned, which was something like this:

http://www.tthonline.co.uk/index.php

Thanks

Laura

hardly anybody on the forum, but I guess it's afternoon where you are too.

About the handwriting, we use "My handwriting workbook" from Prim-Ed. I wouldn't say it's stunning, but it isn't too boring either, esp. from the C Book onwards.

Duh, I didn't look very well, what you asked for, sorry. The prim-ed workbooks start joining up from the D book onwards.

Guest Sarahuk

Nelson Handwriting is the handwriting used in UK schools.I got some books from Amazon.They are quite good but have lots of break letters.I would like to use HWT with my son who also has terrible handwriting but I'm a bit put off by the r's.They just look like n's to me because I'm not used to US cursive and nor are UK examiners! Have you adapted HWT or just used it as is?

BW

Sarah

Spreading the word about Galore park to UK Homeschoolers!

Guest Lorna

We used a book called 'One To One' by Gareth Lewis. This was mainly because our daughter writes to a little girl up in Scotland who has the most beautiful handwriting. Dd asked her where she learned it and she said that it was this book. We had the book already on our shelf and so we just went ahead and used it. Both children really enjoyed doing it because it is very attractive to them.

There is no workbook. I simply learned the script myself and started them with letters and moved onto text taken from their favourite books.

I will e-mail a photo of Dd's pen friend's writing. She is left-handed and twelve.

Any one else, if you would like to see, one of her letters happens to be on my blog. It is this entry in the final photo.

I just used HWT cursive straight for my elder son - he's half American, and UK handwriting looks just as strange in the US as does US handwriting in the UK, so I just chose a programme that was recommended by his OT. It actually looks quite like my mother's handwriting - these things go in fashions.

Laura

I was just looking at Nelson on Amazon, but I can't work out how the books work - there seem to be both colours and numbered levels. Where would I start with a child who can already print, but needs to adapt to tails and joining up? Any idea?

Thanks

Laura

Guest Sarahuk

Dear Laura,

We started with developing skills red level,got stuck on page 2 but that's another story.The next book is yellow level and then there are books 1,2 and 3 - confusing or what? Anyway I think red level is the book you want to start with.

I am going to have another go with the Nelson and if it doesn't work will try HWT funny r's or not - at least the other 25 letters will be legible!

BW

Sarah

Hello Sarah

You might want to skip the HWT cursive capitals - I really wish Calvin hadn't learned those, as they are very difficult for a Brit to read. As Calvin will be doing IGCSEs, I'm just hoping that the examiners will be used to all kinds of international handwriting styles.

Thanks for the info on Nelson.

Laura