Menu

Laughable graduation standard...what do you think?

In Minnesota, 11th graders have to pass a basic math skills test in order to graduate....until now. The new rule says they have to pass the test once or....wait for it.....fail it three times in order to graduate.:confused::confused::confused:

Our governor actually signed off on this and it was reported by news anchors on all the major stations with a straight face.

It strikes me as a ridiculous attempt to increase graduation rates. What kind of message does this pass on to kids? Thoughts?

In Minnesota, 11th graders have to pass a basic math skills test in order to graduate....until now. The new rule says they have to pass the test once or....wait for it.....fail it three times in order to graduate.:confused::confused::confused:

Our governor actually signed off on this and it was reported by news anchors on all the major stations with a straight face.

It strikes me as a ridiculous attempt to increase graduation rates. What kind of message does this pass on to kids? Thoughts?

You know my 11 year old is a master negotiator. If we tell him "No" he will ask the same question over and over trying to get the answer he wants. We are slowly showing him that NO mean no, not ask a hundred more times. Maybe we use this MN example (not picking on MN) it would make our lives so much easier. Perhaps if he asks just three times in a row we should give in. :tongue_smilie::001_huh:

This is such a disservice to these kids. They are being so totally failed. I think we can all agree, that any kid, no matter what level of intelligence, can pass a basic math skills test. Our system is broken, and these kids are being told that they are "unteachable". It makes me sad.

Oh, also, didn't the Governor say the math test was too "hard" and that's why they're going this route? I thought that's what I had read in the paper.

I look at things like this and shake my head and remind my DH that THESE are the people who are going to be in the hiring pool with my children. Well, more likely that my child's company will be using this hiring pool to fill vacancies. I guess I should be sure that my children have the skills to teach their employees how to add and subtract.

I totally agree with the Jen in PA. I think maybe I'll use this example as both "current events" and "critical thinking" lessons today.

I don't know what frightens me more...that they have this in place for a high school diploma, or the thought that occurred to me...I wonder if the same rules are in place for all their licensing...drivers, doctors...:001_huh:

Here's a link that contains some sample questions.

I'm having trouble with number 3. How do you solve it?

Thanks for posting the link. I think the answer is C. 20 meters.

In that example from the test I noticed the math graduation test is "embedded" in the MCA-II, whatever that means. I'm interpreting that to mean that there are certain portions of the test that must be passed in order to have graduated previously.

http://www.startribune.com/newsgraphics/46511632.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiacyKUUr (the link for the test itself, I think)

I think 2 of the questions were pretty challenging for a basic skills test. I would expect every college bound kid to do fine, but I could see how a student with Fundamentals of Math or who barely passed Algebra I would have trouble.

It would make MORE sense to either re-norm the test making the passing score lower OR to drop the test. Seems silly to have them take a test that doesn't count for anything.

I guess perhaps they can justify it be believing that it's teaching a lesson in life...persistance pays off.

I think if many are failing the test and are unable to graduate, one should look at where the system is breaking down, not put a piece of duct tape on it and go forth. I wish elected officials would take a step back and ask if many are failing, could there be a reason they are not learning. Logical next steps would be to look at curriculum, teachers, class size, etc. But then that would be a logical approach, and it's not always present in government. :confused:

how to respond and not get into politics??

Do you mean politics as in republican/democrat? It's hard for me to imagine that the typical person on either side of the aisle would be happy with these standards as described.

However, I'd like to see the original narrative describing the standard. Things like this are easy to misinterpret and it can be fun to jump to conclusions based on something someone said in a message board. I'm not saying it's not true, I'd just like to see the original text myself.

ETA: Still haven't found the original text, but I found this article discussing the reason behind the decision: http://www.startribune.com/local/46508322.html?elr=KArks:DCiUBcy7hUiacyKUnciatkEP7DhU

What it REALLY sounds like is that the test had not been properly validated prior to administration. Test validation is a long, time-consuming process and if there are shortcuts, you end up with an invalid test. Doesn't mean that the standards have been lowered, it means there is a bad test. Students shouldn't be punished because of a bad test.

From the article, it also sounds like this is not a permanent fix, and that the educators realize this is not an ideal solution:

On the other hand, the short-term solution could send long-term mixed messages to kids about math, said Jim Bartholomew, the education policy director at the Minnesota Business Partnership.

"You're saying that we want and expect people to get to this level, to be able to pass this minimum competency test," he said. "Then on the other hand, you're saying 'But it doesn't really count.' "

Edited by OH_Homeschooler