Menu

Right now I am feeling like I am never going

Luanne

to be able to do upper level work. I don't know why I am so discouraged today. Maybe it is because I have a headache or because I feel like I am at a dead-end job. *sigh* :(

There are SO many lists of books that I think I would like to read, but don't see how I could possibly read them all or even pick which one to use. How do you choose?

Don't let your ambition bog you down!

It has taken me a long time to figure out that I am my own worst enemy when it comes to *dreaming,* or making big plans for myself to do something.

I would have these vague plans and hopes to do a particular thing and never, ever, do it. I would get overwhelmed and flounder.

I hope that's not what is happening!

Do you have the books on a list? Post the list on your fridge or somewhere you will see it.

1) Set yourself a plan. For books: pick four (or five) from your list that, if you could read each of them tomorrow, you would. Be sure you pick four you are really excited about. That's all.

2) Do you have a time set aside for reading them? How long is it? How often? I decided to start reading for 15 minutes every night before bed a long time ago and it has served me well. I just wanted to get back into the habit of reading.

3) Will you be writing anything about the books when you are done? A book report? Excerpts for a chapter book? If so, as you are reading, place a sticky note on the page you want to come back to, or mark it with a piece of paper. If it is your own book, you can mark it up in pencil. As you finish the book, take your next reading period to do your *assignments.*

4) Then when you are done those four books, choose four more (or whatever it would be you could realistically read in a month.)

5) Consider getting Audiobooks of the more difficult ones--or ones two or three grade levels ahead of your reading level. If you can get a portable CD player (like runners use) and you can listen while you go about your chores and to and from work.

I admire you no end.

Just make a start. Start anywhere. It really doesn't matter where you begin, just that you begin. Don't stress about all that there is to do, just focus on one thing at a time and do that one thing to completion. Then turn your attention to the next thing, whatever that may be. And by all means, HAVE FUN with it!

Regena

Take heart. You're not the only one who gets discouraged about all that needs to be accomplished! Slow and steady wins the race. :) Don't know if you're a Christian or not, but for me, I have to remember that the Lord will accomplish what He wills in my life and in the lives of my children. I need only obey. He only gave us 24 hours in each day, and He knows our limitations. I admire your ambition and courage. You will do fine!

Don't let your ambition bog you down!

It has taken me a long time to figure out that I am my own worst enemy when it comes to *dreaming,* or making big plans for myself to do something.

I would have these vague plans and hopes to do a particular thing and never, ever, do it. I would get overwhelmed and flounder.

I hope that's not what is happening!

Do you have the books on a list? Post the list on your fridge or somewhere you will see it.

1) Set yourself a plan. For books: pick four (or five) from your list that, if you could read each of them tomorrow, you would. Be sure you pick four you are really excited about. That's all.

2) Do you have a time set aside for reading them? How long is it? How often? I decided to start reading for 15 minutes every night before bed a long time ago and it has served me well. I just wanted to get back into the habit of reading.

3) Will you be writing anything about the books when you are done? A book report? Excerpts for a chapter book? If so, as you are reading, place a sticky note on the page you want to come back to, or mark it with a piece of paper. If it is your own book, you can mark it up in pencil. As you finish the book, take your next reading period to do your *assignments.*

4) Then when you are done those four books, choose four more (or whatever it would be you could realistically read in a month.)

5) Consider getting Audiobooks of the more difficult ones--or ones two or three grade levels ahead of your reading level. If you can get a portable CD player (like runners use) and you can listen while you go about your chores and to and from work.

I admire you no end.

I am cutting and pasting this so I can read it again later.

Thanks again! :)

Take heart. You're not the only one who gets discouraged about all that needs to be accomplished! Slow and steady wins the race. :) Don't know if you're a Christian or not, but for me, I have to remember that the Lord will accomplish what He wills in my life and in the lives of my children. I need only obey. He only gave us 24 hours in each day, and He knows our limitations. I admire your ambition and courage. You will do fine!

Sometimes it is easy to lose focus and forget that the Lord is here with me in all I do.

Thanks,

Luanne

(((hugs))) I just want to tell you how much I admire your heart to pursue academic excellence for your kids and for yourself. It has really been on your heart lately, I know! I think in this case, slow and steady wins the race. You can only do your best and know that God will assist you every step of the way!!! I am praying that He will give you a joy and peace in the journey without fear over the future.

about everything else, I didn't have time to meander through books. I subscribed to The Economist.

1) it wasn't free and I wanted to "get my money's worth"

2) had articles I could read in a few minutes

3) was interesting and informative

4) written in good English.

Now, 17 years later, I think this one habit has been the most mind expanding thing of my adult life, other than med school. I've learned about all sorts of exciting things, looked up words in the dictionary, become versed in world history and politics and even !economics!. I feel more confident talking to adults, etc. etc. etc.