Menu

Need Cursive copywork recommendations

momtolgd

We will finish New American Cursive book 1 this summer. I am trying to decide where to go next. I'm considering NAC book 2, but it is pricey. What other options are there?

I like the way NAC does the simplified, not so loopy cursive letters, and I especially like the way it has the Q actually look like a Q instead of a 2 like I learned.

Any thoughts on Pictures in Cursive by Queen?

Thanks. :001_smile:

Edited by momtolgd

I have Pictures in Cursive books D, E & F. The pictures and handwriting are lovely. I would recommend book E & F, but skip book D.

This is going to sound really picky.....book D is written in past tense when describing the paintings (ie: All of the dogs had brown collars). Since I am looking at the painting in the present, to me, all of the dogs have brown collars. I want my DD to consider art as active and present in her life today, not in the past tense. I think books E & F are excellent and can't wait to use them in the fall.

My 2 cents,

Wow! Those "Pictures in Cursive" books look awesome! I hadn't bought any of Queen's things because I wanted my kiddos to have a cursive model to follow and I thought all of Queen's used a typed font. We may use the those picture studies in the future. For now we are very happy with Julie Shields' (Julie in GA) History Copywork. She has three volumes (one more to go) and they are available in different styles (Zaner-Bloser, Italics, etc.)

http://stores.lulu.com/julieshields

So far we've used the Ancients and Medieval Copybooks. DS' handwriting has improved tremendously and he really enjoys copying things related to the history we're studying.

Blessings!

Thank you for the replies. I thought about Startwrite with NAC, but don't know about having to print it all out...our printer is old. Maybe I'll get them each one of the Queen pictures in cursive books for the Fall, and ask for a printer and Startwrite for Christmas! :001_smile:

There was a thread here recently that led me to find the Zaner website. It has a completely free tool where you can type in your sentences and it will print them out in their font on the lined paper for your dc to copy. The only thing I didn't see was the little arrows that they need when first learning, but I'm sure those are in the purchased workbooks. But I thought it was a cool tool for typing in poetry or Bible verses, or whatever, to use for cursive practice and copywork.

Also, I LOVE the idea of those Queen picture study ones, but it seems like there was only one sentence per day...? That seems like very little to me. I'd like ideally for my dd to do at least 5 sentences at a time, but maybe not do it every day. Am I just not looking at the samples right? Please enlighten me!

The Queen's books have 5 sentences for each picture and 12 pictures in each book. So if you do two pictures (10 sentences) per week the book would last 6 weeks. Or do 1 picture per week with 2-3 sentences a couple times a week and the book will last 12 weeks. I hope this makes sense.....

Thanks Ann! That's what it looked like. I guess we need some more practice with the "how to" of the cursive letters, so I could still use these picture ones and then add some more with the Zaner Boser web link using our weekly scripture or something. Sounds good!

Thank you for the replies. I thought about Startwrite with NAC, but don't know about having to print it all out...our printer is old. Maybe I'll get them each one of the Queen pictures in cursive books for the Fall, and ask for a printer and Startwrite for Christmas! :001_smile:

I have one of Queens for my two for in the fall. I was really impressed when I got them. The pictures are beautiful and the descriptions that go with them. I just really like them.

I have Startwrite and I do use it some but to have something there for them everyday just seems like one more thing I need to remember to do and then get the time to do it. I am glad I have it but I will keep purchasing the Queens as long as I feel like the kids are enjoying them.