Menu

Understanding the Times/Thinking Like a Christian

Does anyone have experience teaching either of these in a group setting? I'm trying to decide which would be best for our kids and schedule. We can only meet once a week.

If you've used either of these at home on your own, let me know your thoughts as well, please.

Thanks for the input!

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I used Thinking Like a Christian a few yrs ago with a small group of high schoolers. We met once a week for I think 2 hours, covering one chapter per week. For this particular group and for our goals, TLAC was a good fit.

If you want something with more depth and have more than 10-12 weeks, you should probably consider Understanding the Times.

Does this help?

ChrisN

Yes, thanks. I a bit concerned about the maturity level needed for UTT. It's my personal preference, but a good portion of the kids are 9-10th graders. On the UTT page, it states that it's for 12 graders.

If I use Thinking..., do the kids need the full package or do they just need the workbook?

I think I'd aim for TLAC for the younger set. I am working through UTT with DS and it is definitely targeted to an older student. There is no way my ds could have discussed Marxist Leninist philosophy ....let alone postmodernism or pronounce half the vocab in 9th grade.

Just my 2 cents....but I would hold off on UTT unless I had a more advanced group to work with...you want them to really get it, not leave them looking like deer in the headlights. :D

If I use Thinking..., do the kids need the full package or do they just need the workbook?

Each student should have a workbook for the reading. My older 3 shared; it worked out ok.

You should get a copy of the leader's guide for yourself. It comes with a CD that has different handouts and worksheets for each chapter. We used some of them in "class" and gave some others for "homework".

HTH,

ChrisN