Menu

Older behind the younger...?

rwjx2khsmj

We are getting ready to begin homeschooling in the fall and I'm trying to be certain I have things lined up. In the process of placing my dc (5,7,10,12) correctly I confirmed that my 10 year old is a much better speller than my 12 year old. I don't think this fact is going to escape their notice or that I have any hope of sneaking it by them. How have you dealt with such situations?

My seven year old reads far, far better than my 14 year old. I don't try to hide it from them and never have. I just tell my 14 year old that reading is an area she needs extra focus on.

Try to give your kids credit (especially at ages 10 and 12) for understanding that they will each have strengths and weaknesses.

Tara

I agree with the previous posters.

However if you find that there is serious stress or rivalry in this or any subject, some people have had success with using two different programs. So say, one uses Sequential Spelling while the other uses Spelling Workout. They may be in different levels, but they are different programs so it's not exactly the same as being ahead or behind. I haven't tried this, but it sounds reasonable.

some people have had success with using two different programs/QUOTE]

This is how we dealt with lopsided math skills. The boys are 16 months apart. Older excels in spelling and reading, younger excels in math. Two different math programs helped us through this issue.

some people have had success with using two different programs/QUOTE]

This is how we dealt with lopsided math skills. The boys are 16 months apart. Older excels in spelling and reading, younger excels in math. Two different math programs helped us through this issue.

:iagree: Ditto on this. Plus, it was a natural to use two different programs, because my two boys learn *very* differently.

Plain and simple, certain people are better at certain things and other people are better at other things. We celebrate our diffferences.

If you WANT to use different programs, fine, but seriously, kids those ages are going to be able to think, "oh, I don't know how to spell those words" (or if it were math, "I'm not doing that yet."). Trying to trick kids into not noticing seems wrong to me in a few ways. What does it tell them when they figure it out? EEK!

Anyway, so use different programs if you want. Or use the same program if you want. Encourage your children to celebrate one another's strengths and to work on their own stuff.

JMO,

My second son has been ahead of his older brother in math for almost 10 years now (when my second son was half-way through kindergarten, he moved into the Miquon book ahead of his second grade brother. He moved even further ahead with time.)

We have just emphasized that they are different people with different gifts. At first my oldest was upset that his brother was ahead of him, but he came to accept it pretty quickly.

We deal with the very same thing. I point out to them the many different skills they each have and it hasn't been an issue. My oldest will tell the younger one, "Wow, you're a really good speller!" It has caused less stress than I anticipated.

We deal with this also in the same way. Both have come to accept it, and the older now gladly accepts help from the younger in Geometry!

We have overlapping skills in our house too. I don't sugarcoat it, but I do point out the strength differences when someone feels slighted. I haven't had a need to get different curriculums for them. I doubt I'd go that way anyway. *shrug*

My 9yo is in a higher level of spelling than my 10yo (actually there is 20 months between their ages.) Dd10 does NOT deal well with being overtaken but I just told her that dd9 is spelling beyond her age, and that maybe she (dd10) could catch up. It's a tricky one, but I think that sugar coating it really doesn't do much for the dc in the long run and in 'real life'. I think they need to know that each of them has strengths, but everyone also has areas that they need to work harder at. That's just life!!!!

I actually have the problem of my older son accepting it TOO much. He just states in a matter-of-fact way that his younger brother is better at spelling, better at math, better at reading, stronger, you name it. It makes me kind of sad, actually. I have to work on building up his value in himself!!!

As with so many things, this really falls under how I parent rather than how I homeschool. When will there be a day that the homeschooling comes so naturally that in my head it's all the same!?

Thanks for the suggestions and support. I know my girls will be fine. Coming from a grade level system to a home system, the gifts they have play out differently. I'm trying to anticipate problems before they happen so I'm not swamped later. Thanks for helping me get a clear view and plan for this one.