Menu

What do you eat for breakfast if you're trying to lose weight? Thanks!

Choice #1: I saute some sliced mushrooms with a tiny bit of garlic & onions. I make an omelette with one egg and 4 egg whites, top it with an ounce of 2% cheddar cheese, and all of the sauteed mushrooms.

#2: I cook one serving of frozen hash brown potatoes with some onion. I use my teeny pan to fry about 5 egg whites in a bit of Pam spray. I add a slice of 2% american cheese broken into bits to the top, and serve the giant fried egg (white) with the potatoes & onions.

#3: I have one cup of Special K with red Berries, one cup of 1% milk(I leave half the cup in my bowl), a slice of whole-wheat toast with a teaspoon of real butter, and eat a piece of fruit.

I like to have a lot of protien in the morning so I feel full for a long time, and I like to keep the calories around 350. These breakfasts are HUGE! I'm not hungry for lunch until kind of late, and then I eat a largish lunch, and then a very small dinner. So far, so good! I've lost 11 pounds in 7 weeks, and I haven't been hungry even once. :)

Most days I have eggs. I vary the way I cook them, but I make very nice omelettes with chopped celery, bell pepper and onions--and a bit of cheese.

Some mornings I will have a wafer thin pork chop or steak (we LOVE wafer thin rib-eyes). To go along with it I add a small portion of fresh fruit.

I really enjoy leftover chicken--grilled or baked for breakfast. Cold.

I avoid heavy carbs at breakfast.

I almost forgot about my hot tea--I NEED a cup (huge mug actually) of hot tea in the morning--usually decaffeinated and sweetened with Stevia if desired.

Oatmeal, if I feel like cooking. Otherwise, I'll have a bowl of Kashi Heart to Heart cereal (or another Kashi variety), with chopped almonds, and a small glass of juice--usually Knudsen Mega Green. '

This is what I have most of the time, even when I'm not trying to lose weight. I try to keep it at 300 calories.

Quaker peaches and cream oatmeal--3pts on WW or

English muffin, 1 scrambled egg, 1 slice 2%Kraft cheese and tomato--5pts on WW or

Vanilla yogurt granola bar --3 pts WW

also piece of fruit..apple 1 pt or banana 1 pt.

I have one of these choices each day.

I have 4 egg whites, scrambled, with one piece of turkey bacon crunched up in it. If I have time then I also like to add some diced tomato. Sometimes I add in 1 piece of whole wheat/multi-grain toast. This has lots of protein, low carbs and low fat/calories. However, breakfast is the meal to "splurge" on if your going to do it. You have all day to burn what you've had off. I've always heard to eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and supper like a pauper!

Kashi Autumn Wheat cereal. If I'm feeling adventurous, I add half a banana. I have eaten this almost every day for breakfast for the past several months (year maybe?). It sticks with me until lunchtime (for about 4 or 5 hours). And it's yummy.

If I eat anything of substance (incl. eggs or oatmeal) in the am, it's too heavy and it zaps me of all energy all day. So when I'm not pregnant, I usually won't eat anything but 1 piece of honey flax toast and many cups of coffee ;).

However, since being pregnant, I eat 1 grapefruit, the honey flax toast and water. Seriously, if I stray from this (like right now. I made W.W. oatmeal muffins for the kids this a.m and I just had a half of one and I'm feeing like I need a nap now- my tummy is too heavy), I truly suffer. And gain weight.

It depends on your calorie intake though. I gain weight if I eat more than 1000 calories a day. I try to maintain at 900 (again, pre-pregnancy, which is why I have gained even though I exercise with this pregnancy, because I'm consuming probably closer to 1200 calories right now). But you may not gain weight until you go over 1500 or 2000 calories. So if you really like breakfast, continue to eat what you like and what gives you energy, but then cut the calories somewhere else throughout your day.

I know that was unsolicited advice. I apologize for going off on a tangent there. :)

Guest Virginia Dawn

A bowl of oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon- no sugar

or

a bowl of bran flakes with raisins or fresh fruit

Everything else makes me gain.

Having protein in the morning makes such a difference the rest of the day. I like eggs or egg beaters, maybe some turkey sausage. Then for some whole grains, I'll have a whole wheat English muffin (can even make and egg Mcmuffin with the sausage and eggs) or a bowl of Kashi Go Lean vanilla hot cereal. It doesn't add up to as many calories as you'd think and it's such a good start to the day. Don't skimp on breakfast or you'll be more likely to reach for junk in an hour or two.

So my best start the day meal is peanut butter on whole grain toast with a banana. Eggs and veggie "meat" aren't bad either. Nirvana = a cup of hot 1% milk with a spoonful of instant decaf for my midmorning "snack."

If you're close to a TJ's you should try their nonfat Greek style blueberry yogurt: 150g serving, 120 cal, 16g total carbs, 13g protein. And actually YUMMY. :D

I like to have two scrambled eggs (or 1 whole egg and two egg whites), with toast, or eggs and a bowl of oatmeal with cream and a little real maple syrup. And a cup of coffee!

Or, I will mix some flavored yogurt with cottage cheese and organic frozen blueberries in a bowl and eat that. Sounds a little different, but I like it! I am sensitive to carbs so I try to have a protein and a little fat with lower-glycemic carbs at most meals. It also keeps mid-morning cravings at bay.

and maybe a little unsweetened coconut. (fresh berries in the summer).

If I am working out I will eat one of those pepperidge farm whole wheat mini-bagels with some peanut butter (unsweetened) and honey. Or oatmeal with a little peanut butter, honey and flax seed.

Or I will make a smoothie with unsweetened yogurt, fresh fruit and a little milk.

Two eggs with veggies in summer/one piece of sausage.

Or a nice big grapefruit and cup of tea.

I enjoy variety...

Amy

I'm not even hungry in the morning until about 10 and then I might have some carrots and hummus or some plain yogurt with unsweetened chunky applesauce, almond slices, and cinnamon. I do have a cup of green tea in the morning when I'm watching my weight though. It helps boost the metabolism and helps curb hunger. I have another cup in the afternoon right about the time you want to start snacking.;)

I have very thin friends in Taiwan that swear by green tea and oolong tea to loose weight. They really do help.

Less. Sorry, not trying to be rude, but that's actually how I lose weight. I don't count calories or follow diets. The first because I never had to before having children and the latter because we're already so careful due to food sensitivities that it's easier for me just to reduce my portions.

I didn't read all the replies...

But, for me, NOT eating breakfast works like a charm, despite the advice otherwise. If I eat breakfast the weight stays on. If I skip breakfast and start my day with a mid-morning snack around 9am, the pounds start coming off.

9am is mid-morning?:eek::eek:

they only cause me to crave more food. My body needs protein first thing, so I usually have an egg or two, or some peanut butter on toast, or 1-2 oz. of cold leftover meat. I also add some brown rice or wheat free toast to whatever I'm eating, and my tea. Can't forget my tea! (Earl Grey or Chai with a bit of milk and honey or legal sweetner).

Blessings,

Lucinda

An omelet with vegetables and a V-8. Yum!

Also, if we had shrimp & black bean fajitas the night before, I'll just take a little of that, whip it into eggs, add some tomatoes, and roll it into a tortilla. It's really just last night's dinner, with eggs instead of rice, and less meat.

I also LOVE broccoli and swiss cheese omelets.

These things may not be all that low-fat (especially considering I add cheese), but if I'm exercising, I need this kind of breakfast. I can lose more weight by eating breakfast and exercising than doing neither.