Menu

Help me Choose TODAY!

Guest bookwormmama

Guest bookwormmama

Ok I have a great offer to buy some used curriculum. I need to decide TODAY and I need some advice. I have to pick what to go with for history this year.

I have done Sonlight Core Pk, Core K, and now Core 1. I am doing Core P4/5 with my younger ones. So the next one up is Core 2. I have an opportunity to buy all of Core 2 used- the 5 day schedule- for $170. Regular price with a set of Readers is around $360. This does not include any readers programs... just the history and read alouds and the IG for the year. I will have to buy a few consumable things.

Or...

I can do SOTW Middle Ages which I have been eyeing since reading TWTM this year. {THank you SWB for messing up my mojo!} ;)

For the combo pack of SOTW with the extra student pages and everything that I want to get it will be about $115. {not counting any extra books I will need for the year such as the Kingfisher book or Usborne book, etc}

Money is an issue of course... it would be good to go cheaper... but I am worried that if I go with SOTW it will get more expensive because of the extra books I have to order {I don't have a good library system here}

I keep going back and forth in my mind all the reasons why I should stick with SOnlight {even though we seem to be dragging in it and it takes us FOREVER to finish a Core!} and why I should use SOTW instead. I just can't decide and I need to TODAY!

So tell me which one I should choose and why!

I agree with Tree House Academy. If it is not broken, what's to fix.

I was wondering. You said that your library is not that hot. They don't do interlibrary loans? At my library, you request these books from other libraries, eventually, my library will start getting it. Does that happen for you?

Only reason I ask is Story of the World is a very nice history program. I like the fact that it does write history on the level of the child. It teaches history in story form. You can do so much with this program because of that. You can do copywork, narrations, dictations, and notetaking from the curriculum. I have figured out to do that with this curriculum. You could purchase everything the program has to offer or make it yourself. It is so flexible.

Just my thoughts!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Guest bookwormmama

Thanks guys for the great advice.

I admit {and please don't think this is stupid} but I have a hard time knowing if it's broke or not... if I ask my kids if they like their history they say yes. When I ask what they want to study next year they say the Middle Ages... and they are excited for it. They like history now. It's exciting for them. {Even if this Momma is totally bored with it and dreads doing it!} They have nothing to compare to though... we have always done Sonlight, so they wouldn't know anything different than what we've always done, you know? So I don't know if they really do like it or not and in any case, is whether it's fun or not the way to gauge if this is working or not? I don't know. I have spent so much time on history and researching and doing the "right" history that I have neglected other areas that I am just now getting to... such as grammar and writing, etc.

THis year I plan on having my kiddos do FLL and WWE and I want to focus on the 3 r's pretty heavily with light science and light history. So those are my goals, objectives for this year and I really want history to be fun and simple and not something that will bore me to tears. {I am a book worm so boring me is not easy to do!} I don't know if I am just tired of the same ole same ole and need a change or if I just have curriculumitis and like to agonize over what to buy because it gives me something else to do! LOL

:001_smile: