Menu

Two anti-homeschooling articles.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding your first link, I think it is interesting that she claims most of the reasons folks homeschool are fear-based while her complaints against homeschoolers appear to be rooted in fear.

As for the second link, I think he is well off base on nearly every point.

10. I spent 13 years in public schools. Outsiders are not unique to the homeschooling population.

9. It is unfortunate that so many people would like to relegate learning to a classroom setting. The result of this mindset appears to be young adults who believe education can only be found during the hours of 8am to 3pm, Monday through Friday and only during the months of September to June.

8. I agree with this point. I believe parenting is a naturally selfish endeavor (based on his definition of selfish in the comment section). So be it. I see it as my job to do what is best for my children, even when I cannot do the same for everyone else's children.

7."Ye shall be witnesses unto me." Is he kidding? The guy hasn't seen an 'outsider' until he's seen a child who tried 'witnessing' in the public schools.

6. Yep. I'll admit to being a little arrogant. He forgot controlling.

Seriously, though, this goes back to point 9. This idea that unless one has been educated inside the walls of a classroom, one cannot be educated at all is hogwash!

5. He can get in line with all the other folks who are probably p*ssed off at me for doing things my way. The local restaurateurs because I cook my own meals. The photo finishing labs because I print all my own photography. There are also the hair stylists and spa owners, since I trim my boys' hair, cut my own and don't need some stranger's hands on my feet, thankyouverymuch. My brother-in-law will fix my car if it ever breaks down, I am teaching myself Latin and logic, rather than taking community college classes...

4. Unfortunately, intolerance is everywhere. The public schools are not exempt. One need not stay at home to do his school work in order to become an intolerant fool.

3. I can't speak for other homeschooling families, but the world to which my children are exposed on a daily basis (for more than a single hour) is far more diverse than the public schools in my region.

2. Putting my children in a broken public school so as not to disadvantage others (#8) is not a gamble?

1. Geeky is the new black.

Edited by Crissy
Gender confusion. The author of article #2 is male. I originally referred to him as a woman.

I got as far as this line in the first article:

"How can a home-schooled child have compassion for his community when he isn't part of it?"

And stopped reading. What a limited idea she must have of what a community actually is. I feel sorry for her.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

"Ye shall be witnesses unto me." Is she kidding? The woman hasn't seen an 'outsider' until she's seen a child who tried 'witnessing' in the public schools.

:iagree: This is exactly what I was thinking. Also, these "well-parented" children of whom she speaks go by lots of other nicknames in public schools. :glare:

6. Yep. I'll admit to being a little arrogant. She forgot controlling.

:lol:

4. Unfortunately, intolerance is everywhere. The public schools are not exempt. One need not stay at home to do his school work in order to become an intolerant fool.

:iagree: I also attended public school K-12 and worked in the local schools as a Social Worker prior to having kids. Public schools are full of intolerance for anything that is not "normal."

Did anyone find this ironic?

"So, first of all, homeschooling parent, you think you can teach English as well as me?" :lol:

Yes. Yes, I do.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

There was a brief blurb on the front page of the USA Today this week, I think on Friday.

It mentioned that the demographics of Home Schooling are evolving, and there are increasing numbers of white, professional types pulling their kids to do school at home. I read it in both a positive light (homeschooling is on the radar in a more 'mainstream' way) and also in a negative light (homeschooling is becoming more 'mainstream' and therefore 'acceptable' simply BECAUSE more white, professional types are jumping ship to homeschool). In either light, though, hopefully the general public's ignorance and fears of homeschooling will wane.

Aww shucks... guess me and my boys best quit learnin' at home now... I don't know how they'll react when they see the light of day they've been at home for so long...

At least the 2nd writer acknowledges that the more intelligent parents are the ones pulling their kids out... for such selfish reasons as wanting a better education for them.

There was a brief blurb on the front page of the USA Today this week, I think on Friday.

It mentioned that the demographics of Home Schooling are evolving, and there are increasing numbers of white, professional types pulling their kids to do school at home. I read it in both a positive light (homeschooling is on the radar in a more 'mainstream' way) and also in a negative light (homeschooling is becoming more 'mainstream' and therefore 'acceptable' simply BECAUSE more white, professional types are jumping ship to homeschool). In either light, though, hopefully the general public's ignorance and fears of homeschooling will wane.

Voddie Baucham's blog (Truth in Love) addresses this article today. Here is a link to his comments:

http://www.voddiebaucham.org/vbm/Blog/Blog.html

I love this guy!

WOW! That was actually entertaining.... but sad also.

I am passing these articles around to all my rich, white-only homeschooling friends.... wait, but that leaves out everybody.... haha. Guess I will send it to everyone else in my homeschool community!!!

The venom was dripping. It is nice to know who thinks highly of you, but better to know who hates you. Keeps us on our toes! ;)

The second of these two articles is so shrill and lacking. Clearly this author wanted a dialogue, but then she only wanted to put down any intelligent disagreement. This article only serves as a reflection of the author's own narrow mindedness and intolerance of difference. The argument that home school students take away from their public school peers does not wash. Parents who send their children to private school do not support public education either. Both home school parents a parents of private school children opt out of the public school system for a variety of reasons. Why parents choose to home school or send their kids to private school would be a more worthy topic of discussion because it may begin to get at why public school is failing to meet the needs of many families. Why do poor inner city families turn to charter schools rather than their local public school? More and more people of all ethnic backgrounds and religions are turning to alternative methods of educating their children, why?

I do agree, turning our back on the American education system contributes nothing to a solution, but the problems have been know for a long time. 26 years ago when "A Nation at Risk" came out did we as a county and our elected representatives heed the advice? Over the past 26 years teacher training has improved, but academically our students have not improved.

Re: #2 this had me :lol:

7. To the homeschooling Believers out there, didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t God say Ă¢â‚¬Å“Go therefore and make disciples of all nationsĂ¢â‚¬? DidnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t he command, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Ye shall be witnesses unto meĂ¢â‚¬? From my side, to take your faithful children out of schools is to miss an opportunity to spread the grace, power and beauty of the Lord to the common people. (Personally IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m agnostic, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m just sayingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦)

:hat:

This argument I've heard before burns me up: To take these (IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m assuming) high achieving students out of our schools is a disservice to our less fortunate public school kids.

Everybody knows that the system has millions of rigged traps in place to stop anything as silly as. . . change. . . from happening. That we choose to take our kids out of the mess that they call "school", doesn't mean we're bad.

And as for her degrees -- please. I'm far more educated than the average teacher out there as are many of the moms on these forums are.

More importantly, I know a lot of people without a degree in the world who are full blown experts in their fields. Degrees are fine (I want my son's eye surgeon to have degrees, yes), but they're not everything and I think our culture is catching onto that.

Besides, as a teacher she has a vested interest -- hello lady?! If the hs route became super popular your job would be at stake. So stop with the "better for society" thing. It's better for you.

Ahhh! I'm getting too worked up.

Alicia

Well, at least I disqualify from criticism by being part of a mixed family. (Cough.)

Continuing that theme, I don't think parents of African American boys are quite as enthusiastic about the success of the public school system - which explains why it's becoming a more popular option. And many British white female teachers admit they are "scared" of their darker-skinned students. I recently read a book (whose name I can't recall) written by a woman who'd had just that experience with her sons and homeschooled them instead.

But anyhoo, I'd like to know just what qualifications most American public school teachers have in areas like math and science. I know my high school math teacher, from whom I took honors level classes (mind you, the school I attended has been consistently ranked one of the top in the country), personally told me that he found Linear Algebra to be incomprehensible, and he certainly exhibited mental and physical breakdown during our Calculus class. At least he took it, although from what I understand, he'd been a theater major. The math teacher down the hall, who was charged with lower level classes, was also a theater buff. Rumor was, he'd never taken Calculus at all.

Anyway, from this report --

Analysis found that 45 percent of secondary-level science and mathematics students as well as 53 percent of history students were taught by teachers with the highest qualification (with both an in-field major and an in-field regular state certification) in the 2003-04 school year. On the other hand, 26 percent of science or mathematics students and 12 percent of history students were taught by teachers with neither qualification.

This argument I've heard before burns me up: To take these (IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m assuming) high achieving students out of our schools is a disservice to our less fortunate public school kids.

I would think that taking children out of schools would actually free up more time and resource for the ones left in the schools, and would improve their situation- theoretically. How insulting to PS students, to imply that are not capable of academic achievements because their 'smarter' peers are being homeschooled.

It's all about perspective and priorities. Does the English teacher have children? And, does the writer in Florida realize that she, most likely, is the one who does not want to spend that much time with her child, than it being the other way around. They should home school for a year and then really make an honest opinion about it, than to just comment on something they have no real perspective about. It's one thing to make a concrete decision for oneself or family, but another to deny others theirs - I think it merely pumps people up and makes them feel good about their own decisions by putting down others. It seems to be our nature.

2 things pop into my head reagarding the second article. First, if I put my children in a same-sex parochial school (and there are quite a few in my area) I bet their peers would be quite similar to them. But that's still school, so it doesn't matter:glare:

Secondly, this quote:

7. To the homeschooling Believers out there, didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t God say Ă¢â‚¬Å“Go therefore and make disciples of all nationsĂ¢â‚¬? DidnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t he command, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Ye shall be witnesses unto meĂ¢â‚¬?

Let us not forget Deuteronomy....

19 Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 20 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, 21 so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land that the LORD swore to give your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth.

If our children aren't home, how do we teach them these things? :001_huh:

Oh, and rescuing the misguided underachievers will NOT be placed on my or my children's shoulders. They have parents. Let their PARENTS guide and direct them. And fixing a school district is also not child's work or play.

Concerning #8 in the second article: my 17yo son took biology at the local hs a year ago. He read the article and reports that, yes, he was providing a service for the lower-achieving students, and although we are by no means wealthy, and yes, his classmates did rely on him, but not for "peer support and motivation," in the way that the article suggests. In fact, those other student may have "greatly benefit[ed] from the focus and commitment of their richer [sic] and higher achieving classmates" -- mainly by trying to cheat.

I pulled my son out of school after 5th grade because he was constantly seated next to the most needy, distracting children. No different in high school. I don't particularly feel it's my child's job to be a social worker. And according to #6, trained professionals ought to be doing that stuff, anyway.

Edited by Nicole M

I think we should use these two articles as an assignment for Logic. I think that would priceless. My geeky, un-socialized, selfish children can prove without a doubt where their logic is faulty, which would be difficult to miss. Actually, that assignment might be too easy. :glare:

This part cracked me up:

One last note, to those homeschooling parents out there: it’s clear from the number and passion of your responses that TeacherRevised is missing an important voice in the teaching community. If any of you are interesting in writing for us, send me an email: jessescaccia@gmail.com. I would love to have you as part of our conversation.

Translation: You are arrogant, ill-equipped, selfish, privileged, narcissistic and arrogant, and we would love to include your perspective in our upcoming works.

Wow, I can't even finish the second one right now. They both espouse the theme of "you owe us (society) your children, for the greater good". I'm sorry, after I worked and worked for years to be able to have the two children I was able to get, WHY do I owe it to society to hand them over for some ephemeral "greater good"????? Do we live in a gulag system? Does government control the fruit of my womb now?

If not, then why on earth MUST I elect to throw away the few short educational years of childhood that my two children will have waiting for a system that is being torn apart by the teachers' unions to improve? What one single reason in all the years my older son has been in school, from age 2 to age 16, have I seen to suspect that the system might be improving in ANY area? Not one, I say. And he has only one year left of high school to go.

Now this particular child did elect to go back into a private school last year. And I'm not any happier with it than I thought I'd be. In fact, he's regressed while there - but at least he got some sort of decent education for a few of his formative years - which is more than most kids can say who don't ever homeschool at all.

Overall, homeschooled kids of which I'm aware are more likely to participate in *meaningful* service work (as opposed to the lip service I see most high school age kids around here paying to such work); are more likely to be able to get along/interact with a much broader age range of other humans; are more involved in civics work and at a younger age; and are more well-balanced/centered than non-homeschooled kids.

Of course, every individual situation has its own set of pros and cons. There are well-rounded homeschooled kids, publically schooled kids, and privately schooled kids; and there are problem kids who spring from each of those environments. However, I've seen nothing in the past two decades to convince me that there's any good, sound reason for me to sacrifice my only offspring on the alter of mass education in this country when a more tailored education is better for every child. And teachers' unions are good for nothing......

Wow # 8 on the second article. So, I'm supposed to send my child to school because I should care more about someone else's child than my own?

Oh, and we would be considered one of the wealthiest among all of our homeschooling friends. Most of them do not have much in terms of worldly goods, AND (surprise, surprise) they are not illiterate.

I guess you can be "poor" and educated. (eye roll)

Oh, good grief. and # 7?

I'm afraid at 7 years old, my son is not going to be spreading much grace, power and beauty of the Lord!

Edited by nestof3

How annoying!! It's teachers like the second one, the English teacher who knows everything but everyone *else* is arrogant, who drove us to pull our first special needs child out of ps. I despise it when people act like parents are just the ball and chain around the child's neck. If all of these "expert" teachers were doing such a great job, the public school system wouldn't be in the disarray it's in. I leave them to steep in their *own* arrogance, while I work my tail off to do the job they can't seem to do, no matter how much training they have. Rant, rant, rant.... I've met some really nice teachers, but that English teacher, there's one I'm glad will never be teaching my children or talking down to me at a parent conference.

Sandy

Ok, I have to laugh:

------------

Quote from article:

"My qualifications to teach English include a double major in English and education, two masterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s degrees (education and journalism), a student teaching semester and multiple internship terms, real world experience as a writer, and years in the classroom dealing with different learning styles. So, first of all, homeschooling parent, you think you can teach English as well as me?"

------------

I believe the correct grammar is "As well as I" not "me".

(Sorry if someone already pointed this out.)

Ok, I have to laugh:

I believe the correct grammar is "As well as I" not "me".

I'm glad that others caught that. My "self-aggrandizing" posted response to the article was --

"You ask, "So, first of all, homeschooling parent, you think you can teach English as well as me?"

Apparently. At least I'm aware that the correct way to write that sentence would be with "I" rather than "me". Also, there should be a "do" before the first use of the word you.

If the other teachers my children would have encountered in public school have as little expertise in their subject areas, public education is in a sad situation, indeed.

Additionally, your ignorance about socialization and homeschooling is appalling. Before I began homeschooling, I was a public school teacher, and the brightest, most accomplished student I ever taught was a girl who had been homeschooled until entering public school at the age of thirteen. Much to the chagrin of the many faculty members who prophesied doom, she was almost immediately one of the most popular girls in our school and remained so. In fact, most of the homeschooled students I've known who've entered public school, generally for high school, have done extremely well academically and won the respect and admiration of their peers.

Having taught in public schools for many years, I know that there's no magic conferred by a degree in education, and now, having homeschooled for many years, I've discovered that most parents are far better teachers of their children than we so-called professionals are."

I would think that taking children out of schools would actually free up more time and resource for the ones left in the schools, and would improve their situation- theoretically. How insulting to PS students, to imply that are not capable of academic achievements because their 'smarter' peers are being homeschooled.
:iagree:

The author of the first article, I hope, has received some gentle enlightenment regarding her anti-homeschooling stance. Perhaps I think this because her article was published in a newspaper--a community-directed forum.

The second article, in my opinion, is so filled with logical fallacies and general disdain for anyone seeking a different path that, to quote O Brother Where Art Thou, "the personal rancor reflected in that remark I don't intend to dignify with comment."

There were so many problems with her top ten list (and therefore her thinking) that where would you even start? It's too bad that she's so close-minded and judgmental.

Wow, opinions really are like .... :glare:

I find the whole "homeschooling is selfish" argument to be ludicrous. I like carrying out that logic to other places - okay then, make sure you go to the WORST doctor in town the next time you're sick. Need a lawyer? Be sure to find one who just barely squeaked by. Because, you know, that would be fair.

Last time I checked, my kids aren't out there to be educated for someone else's benefit.