Menu

Reading textbooks/anthologies?

I asked my daughter what she wants for her birthday, which is coming up in 4 weeks (yikes!). She wants "a big book, bigger than you can imagine, with lots of real stories and made-up stories in it".

I was at a loss till my mom suggested looking for a reading textbook like they use in schools. I've been in the literature-based whole-books-only homeschool mindset for so long that I forgot about those readers. You know, they have a mix of fiction and non-fiction, short stories, book excerpts, etc.

So, can anyone suggest a good series to look at? It would be great if I could see excerpts online and be able to pick the appropriate level.

(She also wants some fancy flip-flops, which will be considerably easier to find. No requests for toys. It's just as well, we have a houseful of toys!)

Edited by musicianmom

during 2nd grade, and I really liked the Reading book by Houghton Mifflin. It had a good variety of stories--fiction, non-fiction, poems, biographies, etc. And the stories were real books like Thundercake, Officer Buckle and Gloria, etc.

We didn't use Calvert again, but I saved those reading books for my other two children to use as well.

HTH,

Jacklyn