Menu

Help me choose grammar before I go crazy!

I am using R&S and really like it, but I'm considering a change due to circumstances...I really don't want to change, but I think it will help with the business and changes we are going through. (moved, two months off already, schooling thru summer to break for birth of our 4th child in winter, etc...)

I'm looking for:

Independent as possible-- I'm only taking 20 min with R&S, but 0 would be nice :D

Solid, complete, somewhat rigorous

Grammar-- not vocab, spelling, handwriting....

Nice to have some writing lessons like in R&S

Christian/solid moral content would be an added bonus

Tell me what program I'm describing! :001_smile:

Sounds to me like your "wish list" describes why I love R&S! Why not stick with it if it's working? It's economical, rigorous, and can be done quite independently. My dd10 uses it completely independently and has since level 3. I check work and answer questions and ask her about it...many days we do a small portion of oral review and she does written work on her own. To me, it's perfect and it frees me up for more hands-on mom time in other subjects.

Maybe I don't understand your reasons for wanting a new program...

In light of my children, I don't consider R&S to be well suited for independent work. Too wordy, not to the point for her, much of the review needs to be taught from the TM, so many problems to do that I'd have to go through each lesson and make plans of which she needs to do....I need something fully independent that can get done even when I'm not able to get her started. I have a very wild toddler and a newborn on the way and adding in a Kindergartener to the list of teaching commitments...I just need to make as many things totally independent as I can (except Bible, hands-on with science and art, math, spanish, etc.) I could maybe see R&S being independent for her if I went down a grade level, but we've already done level 2 and she's ready for 3...we're starting back to school hopefully this week (we've been off for 2 months to enjoy the nice weather and will school through these hot months), so I need to decide fast!

Sounds to me like your "wish list" describes why I love R&S! Why not stick with it if it's working? It's economical, rigorous, and can be done quite independently. My dd10 uses it completely independently and has since level 3. I check work and answer questions and ask her about it...many days we do a small portion of oral review and she does written work on her own. To me, it's perfect and it frees me up for more hands-on mom time in other subjects.

Maybe I don't understand your reasons for wanting a new program...

In light of my children, I don't consider R&S to be well suited for independent work. Too wordy, not to the point for her, much of the review needs to be taught from the TM, so many problems to do that I'd have to go through each lesson and make plans of which she needs to do....I need something fully independent that can get done even when I'm not able to get her started. I have a very wild toddler and a newborn on the way and adding in a Kindergartener to the list of teaching commitments...I just need to make as many things totally independent as I can (except Bible, hands-on with science and art, math, spanish, etc.) I could maybe see R&S being independent for her if I went down a grade level, but we've already done level 2 and she's ready for 3...we're starting back to school hopefully this week (we've been off for 2 months to enjoy the nice weather and will school through these hot months), so I need to decide fast!

My DS was 7 when I pulled him out of public school to homeschool. We have used R&S since then, beginning with level 3. I would read the lesson with him, go over the oral drill, and (if pressed for time) just assign the worksheet.

I don't think you're going to get any more independant than that and still have a thorough grammar program.

Have you considered just holding off until she's ready to do level 3 independently :001_smile:? If you wanted to keep her skills fresh, I'd just get a Spectrum Language Arts workbook.

My ds6 is working through R&S 2 now, and if he's not ready for 3 when the time comes I plan to just have him do Spectrum Language Arts (or maybe Flash Kids from Barnes & Noble) until he's ready.

IF it makes you feel any better, I am using Rod & Staff and I came onto this board just now to ask the same question. I am thinking about trying Bob Jones. I think a workbook would be easier for both of us. I love Rod & Staff, but so many days it does not get done because my girls cannot do it independently. I need to go over it with them, do some orally, and then assign the problems I want them to do. With 4 children, I find it hard to get it all done. Any experience, anyone, with Bob Jones English? I'm wondering if I need to order the teacher guides for grades 4 and 6. Normally, I just monitor what is going on and pretty much find errors with out the keys. But once I decided to order BJU Math and then realized it was necessary to have the teacher book. Is it different for English? I'm hoping no Teacher Guide is necessary. Thanks!

Have you considered just holding off until she's ready to do level 3 independently :001_smile:? If you wanted to keep her skills fresh, I'd just get a Spectrum Language Arts workbook.

My ds6 is working through R&S 2 now, and if he's not ready for 3 when the time comes I plan to just have him do Spectrum Language Arts (or maybe Flash Kids from Barnes & Noble) until he's ready.

She's ready for the skills of level 3, and I want to keep progressing, not just stay fresh. I want something intended to be independent, not something tweaked to be independent.

My DS was 7 when I pulled him out of public school to homeschool. We have used R&S since then, beginning with level 3. I would read the lesson with him, go over the oral drill, and (if pressed for time) just assign the worksheet.

I don't think you're going to get any more independant than that and still have a thorough grammar program.

I understand it's somewhat independent as is, about like our math...I teach the lesson, we do some together, I assign certain problems for her to do. The thing is, I need something she can start without me. I need to be able to give her a list of independent work to start on each morning...do your cursive, grammar, history & science readings, ...then I check it once it's done...

Also, with all the writing, (even with only doing a few from each section) combined with the writing from our other lessons (dictation, sci/hist notebooking, vocab, copywork, etc.) is just bogging her down. She has some physical issues making all the writing a little more difficult...a workbook style independent program similar in content to R&S would be ideal.

I would do Writing Tales 1 with your dd and call it good. The world will not end if she does no formal grammar for a while, and there's plenty in WT to keep things fresh. Writing is actually more important for her right now than grammar anyway. The grammar in WT seems lighter, more introductory in WT1, but by WT2 it all pulls together in a way they can apply to their writing. I wouldn't hesitate at all to let it be sufficient.

It's not reality to make a 7 yo independent, not if you want to accomplish a lot. You need a padded room for your other ones.

Have you considered the BJU dvd's?

Edited by OhElizabeth

I understand it's somewhat independent as is, about like our math...I teach the lesson, we do some together, I assign certain problems for her to do. The thing is, I need something she can start without me. I need to be able to give her a list of independent work to start on each morning...do your cursive, grammar, history & science readings, ...then I check it once it's done...

Also, with all the writing, (even with only doing a few from each section) combined with the writing from our other lessons (dictation, sci/hist notebooking, vocab, copywork, etc.) is just bogging her down. She has some physical issues making all the writing a little more difficult...a workbook style independent program similar in content to R&S would be ideal.

What your first post is asking for is R&S. No grammar program is going to be independent. This is one of the real core subjects for this age. It is going to require some teaching or it isn't going to be any good. Otherwise, it will just be review without progress.

The writing issue is a whole other problem. R&S really does require some written work. I have two suggestions to make it work. First, you could allow her to write in the student book. You can alter the directions if necessary to cut back on the writing. Instead of write the subject of the sentence, she could underline it with one line. Two lines can be drawn under verbs. Second, on days where you really can't get around the writing in grammar, you can cut back on the other writing for the day. Copying sentences from a grammar book is copywork and handwriting.

I don't know of a program that is workbook with no teaching time for elementary. Plus, I doubt you would be happy with the results if you could find one.

All of our writing is included in our curriculum already (except for the types in R&S)...Heart of Dakota...I'm more on the boat of waiting on writing until they have done well with oral narration, then written narration, THEN formal writing instruction. Then I'm on the late-start boat for grammar, yet not waiting as long as many on that boat. I WANT to do grammar with her now and wait on writing. (We aren't doing written narration until next year and then writing to follow. She still needs work with oral narration. She enjoys grammar and I prefer to start now and build on it each year instead of waiting and trying to cram it all in later.

I think I might go with Growing With Grammar, add in the little bit of writing only from R&S once per week, and the occasional R&S worksheet. This could be a short term or long term fix so we might switch back to R&S later...we'll have to see how she does with it and what type personality the new baby has....I just don't/won't have the time to tweak R&S to make it independent and I need that 20 minutes or so to teach her other things.

I'm still open to other opinions though...

As another poster recommended, I think Growing with Grammar very much fits your need. It is written to be independent and is a good, strong program. My son did it for a year and didn't retain well because he needs interaction, so I am stuck with R&S or maybe Winston next year. HOWEVER, if he was an independent learner I would readily go back to GWG. It certainly can't hurt to try it since you are so maxed out. It is well organized and easy for a teacher to step in if the child is having difficulties with a certain portion. Check it out.

Thanks for the GWG info...I'll give it a try I guess and go through the review lessons at the end of each chapter with her, and maybe add in some fun grammar songs...she talked to me about songs helping her tonight and also loved the idea of an independent program with a workbook instead of having to write it out. She also said she does think R&S explains it very well, but doesn't think she could do the whole reading by herself (although she is a very very strong reader, grammar is not an interest and I can see how making it through the whole reading with good comprehension would be difficult to do for her without zoning out). I'm considering adding the R&S simple writing lessons once a week as well and still hold out on other types of writing.We'll see and thanks for the input everyone!

As another poster recommended, I think Growing with Grammar very much fits your need. It is written to be independent and is a good, strong program. My son did it for a year and didn't retain well because he needs interaction, so I am stuck with R&S or maybe Winston next year. HOWEVER, if he was an independent learner I would readily go back to GWG. It certainly can't hurt to try it since you are so maxed out. It is well organized and easy for a teacher to step in if the child is having difficulties with a certain portion. Check it out.

Hijacking...I'm glad you wrote this because I find my ds is the same way with grammar. He can do the lessons in Rod & Staff independent - read the lesson, understand it & do the exercises - but I'm finding that he's not retaining much without the oral reviews. It just seems to be with grammar. In history he remembers everything he learns on his own.

Sherri

I like DGP Grammar. It is very thorough (if you use it each year), but it only takes 5 minutes a day!:) Seriously, I am using 5th grade with 2 students and it is challenging both of them, but it really sticks.

It is something to consider if time is an issue. It is set up to put grammar concepts into long term memory.

I don't really think it's appropriate to expect a 3rd grader to work independently on grammar. Kids need teachers. There are other programs out there that require less teaching time than R&S, but every program should include some teaching, reviewing and discussion time.

Just my 2 cents.:001_smile:

I like DGP Grammar. It is very thorough (if you use it each year), but it only takes 5 minutes a day!:) Seriously, I am using 5th grade with 2 students and it is challenging both of them, but it really sticks.

It is something to consider if time is an issue. It is set up to put grammar concepts into long term memory.

What is DGP Grammar? thanks.

I am using R&S and really like it, but I'm considering a change due to circumstances...I really don't want to change, but I think it will help with the business and changes we are going through. (moved, two months off already, schooling thru summer to break for birth of our 4th child in winter, etc...)

I'm looking for:

Independent as possible-- I'm only taking 20 min with R&S, but 0 would be nice :D

Solid, complete, somewhat rigorous

Grammar-- not vocab, spelling, handwriting....

Nice to have some writing lessons like in R&S

Christian/solid moral content would be an added bonus

Tell me what program I'm describing! :001_smile:

You might look at ACE English. It is a good grammar program and other than starting each pace with student and supervising test, it is quite independent.

How about CLE?

CLE includes spelling, grammar, vocab, and penmanship...all I need is grammar since I have all the others covered in HOD.

I don't really think it's appropriate to expect a 3rd grader to work independently on grammar. Kids need teachers. There are other programs out there that require less teaching time than R&S, but every program should include some teaching, reviewing and discussion time.

I normally wouldn't be wanting it to be independent, but it's either independent or not at all. I'd prefer her to progress some independently rather than lose all she's learned having to wait a year to start up grammar again. She gets enough teacher and mom time in other areas...so I think she'll be fine there. I'm going to take part in the end-of-the-chapter review and have her tell me what she has learned each day. It could be independent for 6 weeks or 6 years! Depends on my pregnancy, if I go into preterm labor again, the baby's personality and nursing needs, and how my toddler is growing up...he makes all school impossible and we're working on him-- it's only for a season. But if it goes well, it could stick. Plus I know my dd's personality and learning style...she enjoys independent work and does better with it if I have the right program for her. She likes her quiet time which she doesn't get if I am teaching with a toddler yelling from another room.

Thinking Through Grammar ( http://www.bgfperformance.com )

I only saw from 5th grade and up???

You might look at ACE English. It is a good grammar program and other than starting each pace with student and supervising test, it is quite independent.

I'll look at this.

Unless I find something better, I'm going to try a week of R&S independent and if it doesn't go well, I'll try GWG plus R&S writing from the grammar book (writing will not be independent and will be done once per week with me).

Does DGP actually teach grammar, or is it more of a daily review? I really like the look of this.

Didn't read replies. Would FLL 3 be less teacher intensive? Just a thought. I have not looked at it. R&S changes a lot from 2-3 imo. I didn't like or use 2 and am glad. With 3 I did a tiny bit of teaching but not much and for 4 and up, finishing 5 now no teaching time at all except when there is confusion. [shhhh, don't tell anyone, but she grades almost all of it herself. I do the tests and writing, she does the rest and brings any lesson with more than 3 wrong to my attention. I can do this with her. I don't know about my other children though.]

I think Growing with Grammar might work well, especially if you add in those writing lessons from R&S.

You also might think about Easy Grammar AND Daily Grams. (I think Easy Grammar is a good program. Not as rigorous as R&S, but pretty good, IF reviewed with the Daily Grams. It requires a bit of work at first, helping them memorize the prepositions, but other than that it's very quick and independent.) Again, I'd add in the R&S writing lessons.

If I consider Easy Grammar/Daily Grams, and it's not as rigorous as R&S, should I get a grade ahead? Do you have to have to TM or can you get by with just the student workbook and daily grams book? Do they just do one worksheet and one daily gram per day? How many days per week and how much time each day to finish in one school year?

Edited by hmschooling

When I taught Easy Grammar/ Daily Grams in third grade, we started out spending a month memorizing the prepositions. Could do it in less though. We chanted the Shurley grammar chant and did obstacle courses to cement it. When they wrote the list, you could see them looking around the room and remembering (climb OVER the desk, UNDER the chair, etc).

After that, we pretty much just did a worksheet a day and a Daily Gram a day. Sometimes they'd do two pages a day. It never took more than about ten minutes. Don't remember how long it took us, but we finished the book before the end of the year. I think you would be fine doing a year ahead. Every once in awhile I would spend a few minutes introducing a concept. But the explanations are very clear. And my introductions were every once in awhile. And some kids who were much weaker in grammar than others.

It's not as rigorous, but it does offer a different approach that I like in preparation for diagramming. I am VERY fond of the "cross out the prepositional phrase" approach for simplifying sentences. While I want a rigorous grammar program, I fully intend to put my kids through a year or two of Easy Grammar in between FLL in 1st/ 2nd and R&S in 4th or 5th.

Edited by Terabith

Does DGP actually teach grammar, or is it more of a daily review? I really like the look of this.

DGP is cummulative so if you start in grade 5, for instance, you would have to make sure that your children are familiar with the concepts that are initially reviewed. My kids had done some Shurley so they jumped right in with no problem. The skills build as you go. They have a scope and sequence on their site.

The teacher's guide also has an overview of the skills covered with definitions and things should you need to review before starting, or to help should you run into a snag. The teacher's guide is really necessary. In fact, that is all I use. We do the sentences on a marker board so my kids do not need the workbooks.

I think it teaches more by having the kids see the principles in action over and over again and since they "live" with the concepts they stick better.

If you have a good grammar handbook for reference you should be good to go with any level that looks appropriate. Grade 5 is when diagramming is introduced. We started there.

WIth DGP grammar and other stuff on their site - do you always NEED the teacher manual? I couldn't see a sample exercise (but might have missed it)....

I think it is better to have the teacher's manual and forgo the workbooks. We do grammar on our marker board.

If I did the reading program I would get the workbooks. I am thinking that is a nice program also. I talked to the author, Judith Holbrook, at the GHEA conference and I really like what she had to say. These materials are used all over in the school system, but she also made them to be homeschooler friendly too.

http://www.dgppublishing.com/

Oh, I also use the DGP to round out my Queen's Language Lessons. If you are doing anything else for language arts and want DGP to cover the grammar portion I don't think you can go wrong. :)

BTW, with Easy Grammar/ Daily Grams, you really don't need a teacher's edition, unless you have absolutely no background yourself. It doesn't really add much.

I am very strong in grammar, and I appreciate having the EG teacher's edition. I often riff off of what's presented, but I think without it I could easily be lulled into just handing them the workbook pages, which have no instruction whatsoever - it's meant to be taught.

Now, all I have is the teacher's edition - if you buy that, you don't need the workbook. All the student pages are in the teacher's edition, along with the teaching pages, and quizzes and tests also not in the workbook.

The pages are perforated. I just ripped them all out and dumped them into a 3-ring binder. Then I photocopy 2 pages (allowed) for my two students. This also allows me to skip pages that I find repetitive when they "get" it. I find it hard to skip pages in a bound workbook. I know, I have issues. :tongue_smilie:

I've decided to give it at least a month of trying to make R&S independent. I just can't find a program that's as strong and effective as R&S is. So, I'll have her do daily lessons independently. I will go through the chapter or unit reviews with her, as well as teach all writing lessons. If there is a worksheet for the lesson, she'll do that...if not, then two sentences from each section of the lesson. This will give us a balance of independent work and then the interaction she'll need with all the concepts through the review work with me. If after a month, she can't pass a test, then I'll consider switching. But, until then....R&S is top dog in the grammar world IMHO.

Thanks for helping me sort through all this!

I've decided to give it at least a month of trying to make R&S independent. I just can't find a program that's as strong and effective as R&S is. So, I'll have her do daily lessons independently. I will go through the chapter or unit reviews with her, as well as teach all writing lessons. If there is a worksheet for the lesson, she'll do that...if not, then two sentences from each section of the lesson. This will give us a balance of independent work and then the interaction she'll need with all the concepts through the review work with me. If after a month, she can't pass a test, then I'll consider switching. But, until then....R&S is top dog in the grammar world IMHO.

Thanks for helping me sort through all this!

Has your 7 year old daughter done Rod and Staff 2? Sorry if I missed you posting it or not. My almost 8 year old son is independently doing Rod and Staff 2. He is not using DGP with his older brothers. He just listens as I read the lesson and then I send him off to do the written part.

I do think Rod and Staff is THE most complete program. I think it can be too much sometimes, but it is really handy to have around.

Has your 7 year old daughter done Rod and Staff 2? Sorry if I missed you posting it or not. My almost 8 year old son is independently doing Rod and Staff 2. He is not using DGP with his older brothers. He just listens as I read the lesson and then I send him off to do the written part.

I do think Rod and Staff is THE most complete program. I think it can be too much sometimes, but it is really handy to have around.

She's actually 8 now (well, on the 15th-- so close enough!).

She has done R&S2. She completed it in 1st grade (big mistake!) b/c she was so academically ahead, I just considered her as a 2nd grader and got everything for 2nd grader level instead of realizing I could mix and match grade levels. I have learned my lesson now...LOL. We took her 2nd grade year off from much grammar, just completing the weekly lessons in Heart of Dakota's Beyond Little Hearts. She has retained enough to move on so that's why we're doing level 3. So far, it's going well! I might have her do a less intense grammar next year for 4th after doing R&S3 in 3rd. I like to have that break...and 4 is a big jump!

I think many kids do a level or two behind their grade anyway, right?

She's actually 8 now (well, on the 15th-- so close enough!).

She has done R&S2. She completed it in 1st grade (big mistake!) b/c she was so academically ahead, I just considered her as a 2nd grader and got everything for 2nd grader level instead of realizing I could mix and match grade levels. I have learned my lesson now...LOL. We took her 2nd grade year off from much grammar, just completing the weekly lessons in Heart of Dakota's Beyond Little Hearts. She has retained enough to move on so that's why we're doing level 3. So far, it's going well! I might have her do a less intense grammar next year for 4th after doing R&S3 in 3rd. I like to have that break...and 4 is a big jump!

I think many kids do a level or two behind their grade anyway, right?

Most definitely! :) My 7 year old could do level 3, but I am having him do 2 because he can be so independent with it. Grammar has so much repetition anyway. You could always do R & S 3 at half pace. HOD has so many nice written narration exercises in Preparing. She may benefit by just having the opportunity to use what she has learned for a while and then ramp it up when you get to Preparing. You have plenty of time.:)

Most definitely! :) My 7 year old could do level 3, but I am having him do 2 because he can be so independent with it. Grammar has so much repetition anyway. You could always do R & S 3 at half pace. HOD has so many nice written narration exercises in Preparing. She may benefit by just having the opportunity to use what she has learned for a while and then ramp it up when you get to Preparing. You have plenty of time.:)

I think this is a good idea. Since your daughter is a year ahead and it is often recommended to work a year behind in R&S, you could easily spread R&S 3 over 2 years.

Lisa