Menu

Thinking of getting my kids less dependant on me

I think this is one reason we keep falling behind ... they are waiting on me to teach the lesson or read the read aloud, etc. My oldest will be in 9th next year.... the year all things get important! ;) Since I know this, why do I still want to learn along with her (as opposed to before her). I know she prefers me to read it aloud to her, and I enjoy it, but shouldn't I set things up so she can just do her studies with or without me? Is she capable? Probably. I'll still be here to answer questions and check on her. On one hand this sounds great because I'll have more time for the younger guys, on the other hand I'm reminded of getting her first lunch box to go to Kindergarden. Wierd! :001_huh:

I have the problem of not getting some things done because I want both kids to do some things together. And then dh wants to be included in an educational dvd or whatever. I really think we have to diversify because of everyones scheduling but I don't like it. I know how you feel about the high-school child.

Oh and that's the other problem. I plan to have all the kids together for some stuff like history, but then one is sick or another is having a sleepy morning etc. My dh is different though, if I'm about to put on an educational DVD, he'll ask if it can wait till he heads out to go to work. Other times I'll get all the kids together but then my dh needs some help with something or the little one requires attention long enough that they start to work on something else. This is good but then it's awhile till they/we are all ready again. Even when I just plan for 2 of them to work on something, it's tricky.

But I wonder if it will be worth it to have them all working on their own things? :001_unsure:

I think this is one reason we keep falling behind ... they are waiting on me to teach the lesson or read the read aloud, etc. My oldest will be in 9th next year.... the year all things get important! ;) Since I know this, why do I still want to learn along with her (as opposed to before her). I know she prefers me to read it aloud to her, and I enjoy it, but shouldn't I set things up so she can just do her studies with or without me? Is she capable? Probably. I'll still be here to answer questions and check on her. On one hand this sounds great because I'll have more time for the younger guys, on the other hand I'm reminded of getting her first lunch box to go to Kindergarden. Wierd! :001_huh:

My youngers seem to need so much more attention than my older dd. I always thought (and hoped) I would get to read and discuss all the great literature and history right along with her. Wanted to learn Latin and Greek along with her too..... But I was right to turn her loose and outsource these things. She was getting stressed (at the start of 7th) because I wasn't getting everything done. She didn't want to fall behind. She felt better having "real" teachers for those things I had to actually "learn" along with her. For us, it was a good decision. Dd is getting more done and enjoying it more with on-line classes. And I have more time for the younger dc.

Honestly, I don't know how some of you super-homeschoolers get it all done. I'm in awe of all that you accomplish.

Turning them loose is weird. But it's a "good weird". kwim?

Blessings, Jackie

I seem to be slowly handing over more and more to the kids, but we still do some things together. This is the first year my ds13, who has LDs, has really been able to sit down and do workbooks with any success (and without me sitting next to him) so I am taking advantage of that.

I like to do literature together, and link that to history. I still read aloud two or three books on an ongoing basis. We do Shakespeare, memory work, and Logic together too, as well as reading Sophie's World for Philosophy. I also explain their writing assignments to them and usually need to supervise that a fair bit too. They are doing outlining for history, all of their maths and science, Latin and some English workbooks independently.

I was doing an hour of read alouds a day until recently. I just burned out on it, so I have cut back to half an hour except on one day when its still an hour (Sophies World chapters generally take that long).

We all love our "together time"