Menu

graduation money?

My husband always sends $100, even to people we haven't seen in years and years.

I think it is because he came from a relatively poor family, and every dollar he received helped him pay for his Freshman year.

I'm not sure I would be quite so generous.

For kids we've not known long, I give $25. For dear friends (or kids of df), we give $50. I like to give new, crisp bills, but tonight I was running late to graduation, so I wrote a check.

I do think it depends on your personal financial situation, and how "close" you are to the graduate.

Blessings,

Rita

We get a LOT of graduation announcements. Dh is an Episcopal Priest and we keep in touch with a lot of people from his other positions. So, we seem cheap! For those, we'll give a gift card to Lowes (it's amazing how much you need from there when you're going away to college!) for the amount of the year they are graduating. So, this year, they are receiving $20.09 (2009 - get it?) each.

Now, if it's a friend we know well or a cousin or something, I'd give more.

Looks like anywhere from $25-$100 would be okay. He's a smart kid and got a good scholarship to the University of Houston to major in mechanical engineering, but he'll still need money for other things he will need when he gets there.

I wanted to ask because I was thinking of $50, but my husband thought $100...it's my husband's oldest brother's son and I think my husband wants to look generous! We always stay at their house when we go to TX and they are always generous with our kids at Christmas.

Thanks again!

Kirsten

I say whatever you give, be prepared to give to all that follow. My dh got gung ho when his first neice graduated from high school several years ago. He built her a computer that she could use on her own for all her course work. When the next child of a sibling graduated, we were broke and couldn't provide a computer. It is now the running joke as to when Uncle will give them their computers since all have been out of high school and college for awhile.

My oldest just graduated a few weeks ago.

My brother and his wife gave her $100.00, which is what we gave their daughter -- my niece -- when she graduated from high school a few years back (if I remember correctly!)

I think anywhere from $50 to $100 is a very nice gift from an aunt and uncle.

I love it!

We get a LOT of graduation announcements. Dh is an Episcopal Priest and we keep in touch with a lot of people from his other positions. So, we seem cheap! For those, we'll give a gift card to Lowes (it's amazing how much you need from there when you're going away to college!) for the amount of the year they are graduating. So, this year, they are receiving $20.09 (2009 - get it?) each.

Now, if it's a friend we know well or a cousin or something, I'd give more.

Give what you can afford, but i agree with the posters who said to be sure you can follow thru with that.

We give 20.09 to our kid's friends, nieghbors, etc. We give $50.00 to immediate family. OUr families are just too big to give more than that.

Since the year 2000 we have been writing checks and using $20.01 for the year 2001, $20.02 for 2002, etc. This year the checks are $20.09..it's kind of fun and the kids get a kick out of it.

It all depends on what you can afford and feel comfortable giving. For family, we've been giving a $20.00 gift card for graduation. For friends this year, it will be $10.00 gift cards from Borders.

Regards,

Kareni

This is along the lines of what we do as well. There are so many nieces and nephews and children of friends that we can't afford anything like $50 or $100 each.

Give what you can afford, but i agree with the posters who said to be sure you can follow thru with that.

We give 20.09 to our kid's friends, nieghbors, etc. We give $50.00 to immediate family. OUr families are just too big to give more than that.

Since the year 2000 we have been writing checks and using $20.01 for the year 2001, $20.02 for 2002, etc. This year the checks are $20.09..it's kind of fun and the kids get a kick out of it.

This is what I do, too.:)