Menu

Ok....cooking on a gas stove......help!!

I know that gas is supposed to be so much better to cook on, but I am having a serious problem adjusting to cooking this way. I am trying to decide if it is just me.......or is it my pots and pans. I am making huge messes all over the place while cooking. Splatters are going every where. I never had this problem with my electric ranges. I know part of it is heat.....but it's happening even on low.

I was walking through Sam's on Friday and saw the pots there have higher sides and are shaped a little differently than mine. So that got me thinking that maybe there is more to my problem than just me??

Is there a "better" set or approach for cooking on gas?? Or do I simply need to learn how to re-cook with gas??

Thanks!!

I'm not sure what to say except that I, too, have just recently begun to cook on gas and do not consider myself a cooking guru. (Meaning, if anyone were going to have trouble it would be me!). :-P In any case, I have had no trouble whatsoever making the transition and I LOVE cooking with gas! I love the immediate response (higher or lower) and I love the fact that when the burner is off it is off (meaning no residual heat in the electric coil necessitating moving the pot to another burner 'til the first one cools).

Hope you have success soon and learn to enjoy your stove as I do mine,

sharon

When we first got married I was used to gas and would burn everything on our electric. Now I'm so used to electric that when I went back to gas for a year at an in-between house, it took a little bit to get used to. It doesn't take as long if you have previous experience, but still.:p Gas gets hotter quicker and it'll just take some time to get used to it.

I had an electric stove for 16 years in California, always gas before then, and although the stove and I came to an understanding, there was never true peace between us. Don't even get me started on how to make gravy on an electric cooktop.

You might try cooking with lower temps (the flame should never be bigger than the bottom of the utensil you're using; I know, that seems obvious, but it had to be said, lol). Also, you can look for splatter screens, which set right on top of the pan and keep grease from splattering...hence the name [*cheeky grin*].

I remove the grill thingies that the pans set on (I can never remember what they're called. Grr.) and spray the whole top with my kitchen cleaner, wipe it clean with a dishcloth rinsed in hot water, and dry with a microfiber cloth. Paper towels work in a pinch. My cooktop is white. Who knew that white would show dirt so easily???

Oh, and FTR, I use the same waterless cookware on the gas that I did on the electric.

I'm not sure what to say except that I, too, have just recently begun to cook on gas and do not consider myself a cooking guru. (Meaning, if anyone were going to have trouble it would be me!). :-P In any case, I have had no trouble whatsoever making the transition and I LOVE cooking with gas! I love the immediate response (higher or lower) and I love the fact that when the burner is off it is off (meaning no residual heat in the electric coil necessitating moving the pot to another burner 'til the first one cools).

Hope you have success soon and learn to enjoy your stove as I do mine,

sharon

love gas over electricity in addition to the fact that it still works with a match when the power is out. :D

You may have to adjust your recipes, most things don't take as long and start everything on lowest flame and adjust upwards if needed. A good set of pots does help, however be forewarded that many discolor on the bottom and no amount of scrubbing will change it.

Chefmate and All Clad would work fine, I think. Also Le Creuset and KitchenAid.

Chefmate being on the lower end pricewise and All Clad being of high quality with a price tag to match.