Menu

Are car decals advertisements? Check out this news story...

Do you have a bumper sticker? Would you be in violation of this policy?

I'm curious what you think.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/national/dpgo_HOA_Asks_Vet_to_Remove_Bumper_fc_20090528_2518563

Of course, I live in Marine Corp housing (we're Navy), I'd like our private housing company to even try to outlaw Patriotic stickers and decals off of the cars. :lol: It wouldn't be pretty.

Jo

I think some people go overboard and their vehicles end up looking tacky. However, I do not think it is an "advertisement" (unless it IS an advertisement for a company). The HOA is pushing the line. Someone needs to pull their hoity-toity nose out of the air and shake the man's hand.

I live in DFW, and this is simply another "Dallas insanity" event. Locals may remember the nose-in-air suburban subdivision that insisted on a "right" (barf) to fine a homeowner because he drove a pick-up truck (rather than an Audi, BMW, or similar) and had the gall [gasp ! !] to park his nice truck in the front driveway.

I live in DFW, and this is simply another "Dallas insanity" event. Locals may remember the nose-in-air suburban subdivision that insisted on a "right" (barf) to fine a homeowner because he drove a pick-up truck (rather than an Audi, BMW, or similar) and had the gall [gasp ! !] to park his nice truck in the front driveway.

I REMEMBER THAT! When we lived in Frisco our homeowners sent us a letter because my husbands truck was muddy. He had just come home from a hunting trip and had not washed it yet. Another letter we got was a bogus one trying to make a stink about the lift on our truck, saying it was distracting. Hmm, a brand new truck with nice rims and tires tricked out with a 6 inch lift. That truck was BEAUTIFUL! :001_huh:

I may be wrong, but I think what I shared also occurred in Frisco.

Oh, well. Where we live (nice, but far from "snazzy"), the City came after us just because the fence started leaning over. If the subdivision had not been built on top of a submerged lake, the neighborhood would not now be infamous for house foundation problems and leaning fences !

I REMEMBER THAT! When we lived in Frisco our homeowners sent us a letter because my husbands truck was muddy. He had just come home from a hunting trip and had not washed it yet. Another letter we got was a bogus one trying to make a stink about the lift on our truck, saying it was distracting. Hmm, a brand new truck with nice rims and tires tricked out with a 6 inch lift. That truck was BEAUTIFUL! :001_huh:

The news people made a good point---practically every car parked there had things on it that were "advertizing" something! Are they towing away those cars also?

I thought the guy's "advertisements" were in good taste. His vehicle doesn't look trashy or anything. I can't figure out how/why they think they can do this!

guess they won't want me living there then, what with my big white 12 passenger van and this bumper sticker:

http://stellamarisbooks.com/shop/product_view_item.asp?idProduct=3827

people need to mind their own dadblum business and keep their noses to their own side of the fence/property line

my van I'll put what I want on it, tyvm

people like that make me itch to buy a dozen of those plastic pink flamingos for the front yard and to paint my house purple (my fav color)

We know someone who parked in their driveway, ran into the house to get something they forgot...and in that time got a fine. You were suppose to park only in the garage.... The rules of the homeowners assoc (this is in OR) .were just crazy! And, she's very much of a put together person....so I'm sure she really did just "run in the house".

Reporters also cruised the neighborhood & found many bumper stickers for politicians, schools, and other usual things. I think this is more than the fact that he has stickers..... also some members of the community board had no idea of the letter being sent to him.

I think this is someone with a little community power trying to be dicator b/c he doesn't like the subject matter of the stickers. Maybe wrong... but it seems to be deeper than a few "advertisements on his car".

Shame on them!!! But hey, the same week a lady is asked to take her flag down off of her office/cubicle wall on MEMORIAL DAY. Shame on them too!!!

Ridiculous -- and exactly why I don't even want to consider a home that comes with an HOA!

(Interestingly, the most restrictive neighborhoods here are the ones having the hardest time during this recession, as very few people want to sign away their rights to grow gardens, hang laundry, have a fence, drive a truck, etc., not to mention having neighbors fine them if they can't afford some new doodad or service that's required by the HOA, in the current uncertainties.)

people like that make me itch to buy a dozen of those plastic pink flamingos for the front yard and to paint my house purple (my fav color)

There is actually a bright purple house in Little Rock right by the Arkansas river! It used to really stick out of the trees the last time we were in Little Rock, now you can barely see the top part of the house.

There is actually a bright purple house in Little Rock right by the Arkansas river! It used to really stick out of the trees the last time we were in Little Rock, now you can barely see the top part of the house.

You can tell we don't live in a neighborhood with an HOA. To get to our house, turn at the corner with the mustard colored house and the bright "Capri blue" house, the salmon colored house is right across the street. . . I'm not kidding!

My parents intentionally bought a house in a neighborhood just like this, in the 80s. There was a 10 years legal battle between the HOA and one of the first residents, who owned a truck (actually more than on over that period) and had the audacity to park it in front of his house instead of up on the street. I kid you not. And, in the end, he won because that clause was not part of the original HOA agreement he signed when he bought the house. I can't imagine how much the HOA spent on the harassment.

I would probably be in violation. I have an IAFF sticker, a sticker from our CSA (which is totally advertising), a presidential election sticker, and one that says (ironically, in this case) "Love thy neighbor preemptively".

I think HOA's can do good things. Friends who live in neighborhoods with HOA pools and playgrounds have it awesome in that respect. But this type of busybody nonsense is ridiculous. I don't think I'd ever sign away my property rights this way. Where's the HOA that dictates that owners must show some personality and individuality? I want to live in THAT neighborhood.

As it is, I'd never seeing myself choosing to live in a neighborhood with an HOA, especially as a home owner. A pool or gate isn't worth signing away so many rights over one's own property, in my opinion.

My civic association has tried to ban vehicles with advertising (*actual advertising), but the uproar from homeowners put an end to that.

As far as bumper stickers or window decals go, it would never be able to happen. We have civic association decals that need to be displayed on our cars. They'd have to do away with that first!

For the record, our development is NOT a rich, snooty one. It's a vacation destination that's evolved into a residential community.

I don't think I'd choose to live in another CA or HOA in the future but, even as a libertarian, I don't look at it as giving up my rights. I'm under no legal obligation to stay here. I chose to sign a contract and abide by it. I do regret it a bit, but nobody forced me to do it!

see now, that wouldn't bother me in the least. I like color in my life.

vs every house have the blah bland various shades of neutral dirt colors

I'm dying to paint our house a nice cheerful yellow.:)