Menu

Grammar for 3rd grader

brownie

I was about to place my big order at rainbow when I realized I had forgotten to choose a grammar curriculum for next year! (our first year hsing) I was looking at Growing with Grammar and thought it was pretty straight-forward but it starts getting expensive for a 3rd grader for "just" grammar. R&S seems very stodgy and old-fashioned for a 9 year old boy so I'm just not sure. Is there anything else out there simple to use and fairly inexpensive? My goal is really just to have a guide to make sure we've hit upon everything important rather than to drill grammar into the ground.

Brownie

FLL 3? I have not used it. I may in a year with my littles. I haven't decided. I have been a tried and true R&S fan. I don't care about stodgy. They get enough edutainment type stuff that a little boring, are the girls really only wearing dresses and very defined roles for male and females aren't going to kill them. ;) However, it is rigorous. You can tailor it to better fit ind. needs as can be seen thourgh a R&S search of the forum I'm sure.

Back to FLL 3, I think it would cover everything you would need for a 3rd grader and would probably keep actual writing to a minimum. That is my guess. I'm sure others could chime in here and give a better picture of it. HTH

Oops someone beat me to it.

Edited by newlifemom
I was so busy yakking that someone else said the same thing more succinctly. Go figure. :)

I'll second First Language Lessons 3 too. My 8yo dd is using that one right now. I use R&S English also. My oldest, a tween boy, uses it right now. I like the meatiness of it, how easy it is to customize to our preferences, how easy it is to pick up and go, and how well he learns from it. FLL 3 and 4 weren't available when he finished the second grade level or he would have used them too. My youngers will use FLL for first through fourth grades, then move to R&S.

If I choose FLL do you think I need the manual as well as the workbook? Brownie

:bigear: I am wondering this too. Can you get by with just the workbook?

You could get by with just the teacher's manual if wanted. It'd be easy enough to write the assignments on notebook paper. However the workbook most assuredly cannot stand alone. It seems to be the common consensus here that you don't want to be without the workbook either. We're not terribly far into level 3 yet, but we haven't ran across anything that would be difficult to write on notebook paper. You may want to do more of it orally or on a chalkboard even if you don't get the workbook.

After looking around some more and reading these responses, I do like FLL because it is very Charlotte-Masonesque. I think I partly rejected it at first bc it has more than grammar in it but it looks good. I also liked GWG bc it seemed very straighforward and I'd had my 6 year old try a sample lesson - it went well. But I have issues spending $35+ on a grammar curriculum when grammar should be straightforward and quick. It's only a small component of language arts and for me would probably end up being the most costly component (partly bc my 2 boys will share literature studies but aren't prepared to share grammar). So I think we're going to start with KISS since it's free. Since it's free there's no harm in trying and if it doesn't work I can pick up FLL. Thanks for all the info. Brownie