Menu

We visited last summer and walked through the rain to the grist mill near one of the visitor's centers (can't remember which one). There was no one else there, thanks to the rain, I suppose, so we chatted for a while with the guy who runs it. He sold us 32 pounds of corn meal he'd ground right there, as part of his demonstrations. It was $5. It's marked "animal feed" because the mill isn't inspected, but it makes yummy cornbread.

Also, elk have been reinroduced to a remote corner of the park. It's a hike to get out there, and you probably need to go early in the morning, but it's worth the trip. There also are some hiking trails out there that I wish we'd done, but it was pouring rain, so we'll get them next time.

The Cades Cove loop is closed to cars a couple of mornings a week, and it makes a great bike ride on those days.

Hope you have a great time. We love the Smokies.

Terri

Cades Cove is a don't miss. The historic buildings and the history of the place is very interesting. You can see deer running along most of the time when you bike the loop.

Also, Deep Creek Campground is a wonderful place to tube. There are tubes for rent and it takes about an hour and a half or so to tube from the top to where you get out. When I was a kid, I would tube all day long there. Its rough enough to be fun, but not dangerous.

Where can you rent bikes for the Cove? We will be there for three full days (part of ds's college road trip) and biking sounds fun - we would need a full-size two-seater, though, as our six-foot 17-yr-old son with autism can not ride a bike by himself (he is also hypotonic - low muscle tone). Ideas? Or is thsi a case where hubby and kids will go do something fun AGAIN while I stay back with Joe watching tv :glare:

We just came back from there :001_smile: We were only there for the long weekend though and there is just SO much to see and do! At the Smoky Mountains themselves, we did that highest point Clingmans Dome which was just absolutely amazing!! Then my kids did the Jr Ranger Program. There is also a Cherokee Reservation out that that we didn't go to but it sounded like a neat place. Also would have been amazing to go on more hikes while we were there. Its definately a place we want to go back to again :D

-Tia

We're headed to the Smoky Mts NP for a week, camping and would love to hear suggestions. What hikes should we make sure we take? Any sights that we should not miss?

Thanks,

Carole

We were there last week camping. I am pretty familiar with the trails. Where are you staying? Townsend? Cosby? Cherokee? Gatlinburg? That would help a lot with giving you suggestions.

We stayed between Cosby and Gatlinburg. My dd7 went on her first hike last week. We went to Albright Grove. We didn't hike the entire trail but she made it 5-6 miles. Very good for 7.

Paula

Where can you rent bikes for the Cove? We will be there for three full days (part of ds's college road trip) and biking sounds fun - we would need a full-size two-seater, though, as our six-foot 17-yr-old son with autism can not ride a bike by himself (he is also hypotonic - low muscle tone). Ideas? Or is thsi a case where hubby and kids will go do something fun AGAIN while I stay back with Joe watching tv :glare:

You can rent bikes for the cove at the Cades Cove Campground store. They even had bikes with training wheels. The Cades Cove Loop Rd is closed to cars on Wed and Sat until 10. This is a great time to ride! (or walk) I did not see a two seater, but you could call to check.

Paula

We booked a campsite at Cosby Campground, in the park. Can't believe DH agreed to stay someplace without showers--he's going to be in a class all week while the boys and I hike.

5-6 miles is good for a 7yr old. Just watch out! If she's like mine when she's 17 she'll be pushing you to do 20 mile hikes in a day which is what mine do to me all the time. At least at this age they are more than willing to take my load, and even carry most of my water!

Carole

Also, elk have been reinroduced to a remote corner of the park. It's a hike to get out there, and you probably need to go early in the morning, but it's worth the trip. There also are some hiking trails out there that I wish we'd done, but it was pouring rain, so we'll get them next time.

A long hike is very doable for this crew so I'll have to search for where this is.

Close to the Oconaluftee Visitor Center is a Mountain Farm Museum. Might that be where the grist mill is?

Carole

LOL!!! Is that cause you know me? I do normally take off for a few months in the summer with the boys for extended hiking trips but, I know, this one is a 'short' trip. Maybe I'll throw our tent in the car and keep the boys there with me for an extra week or two or three!!!!

Thanks for the idea! I'll let DH know where the idea came from too!

Carole

Cades Cove is a don't miss. The historic buildings and the history of the place is very interesting. You can see deer running along most of the time when you bike the loop.

Also, Deep Creek Campground is a wonderful place to tube. There are tubes for rent and it takes about an hour and a half or so to tube from the top to where you get out. When I was a kid, I would tube all day long there. Its rough enough to be fun, but not dangerous.

TUBING!! I love tubing. Do you think the water would be cold? I have an allergic reaction to cold water (60 degrees or lower we think) and it could literally me deadly for me......

Carole

I couldn't talk my husband into camping without showers. (I have camped at both Cades Cove and Cosby in the past.) We stayed at the Jellystone campground between Gatlinburg and Cosby. It was the nicest campground I have ever been to. We camped stream-side. Check it out for future camping.

If you are in Cosby Campground, there is a trail that leads to a waterfall in that campground. It is not a difficult or long hike.

You will also be close to the Greenbrier area of the park. It will be between Cosby and Gatlinburg on hwy 321. You can hike to Ramsay Cascades from there. It is 8 miles round-trip and is fairly difficult. Greenbrier is one of the most beautiful sections of the park to me. They have a picnic area there.

If you have any questions about specific trails, let me know! I used to hike a lot.

Paula

Yes, the water at Deep Creek is cold - like spring water. We found that we got used to it pretty quickly and is refreshing when it's hot out.

With your allergy, I would call the ranger station at Deep Creek Camground and ask them the water temperature. They could probably tell you.

Thanks for the offer on the hikes, I'll keep that in mind. My sons and I are hikers, 13 - 18 miles a day were our usual distances last summer when we hiked through the mts in the western national parks. At least this time we won't have altitude to adjust to and I hope it isn't too hot and humid.

Carole

Unless something happened last week, Cades Cove is open. We were there the week before Memorial Day and it was open.

Here are a couple of long hikes that are really great. By really great, I mean worth the distance.

Alum Cave Bluff to the top of Mt. Leconte. The view from Cliff Tops is amazing. Roundtrip about 11 miles. The trailhead is located on Newfound Gap Rd. Beautiful rock outcroppings. Part of the trail follows a cliff and is narrow but hand cables are provided. If you take this hike, make sure you find the side trail to Cliff Tops once you reach the top.

Actually any of the hikes to Mt. Leconte are very good. Alum Cave is the shortest and most scenic. You could also do a loop of the Rainbow Falls trail and come back on the Bullhead Trail. (They leave from the same parking area located in Roaring Fork.) This is about 18 miles roundtrip. I will never do it again.:lol: Too much for one day. By the time I got to the top, I was exhausted. But you know what goes up must come down.

Appalachian Trail to Charlie's Bunion. Roundtrip about 8 miles. Good if you want to hike the AT. Trailhead is located at Newfound Gap.

Gregory's Bald. The azaleas will be blooming on the bald about 2nd or 3rd week in June. It is beautiful then. This hike is in Cades Cove. It is about 12 miles round trip. The bald overlooks the cove.

I sound like a trail guide or something. I think I miss my hiking days a little much. Have fun!

Paula

Actually any of the hikes to Mt. Leconte are very good. Alum Cave is the shortest and most scenic. You could also do a loop of the Rainbow Falls trail and come back on the Bullhead Trail. (They leave from the same parking area located in Roaring Fork.) This is about 18 miles roundtrip. I will never do it again.:lol: Too much for one day. By the time I got to the top, I was exhausted. But you know what goes up must come down.

hmm, do I tell my ds' about this one or not? hmmmm. Our fondest memory from last summer's west trip was a 20 mile hike in Glacier---some 2 miles was through 4' of snow too! At the time I said never again. A month ago I said never again. And now we are talking about repeating that hike this summer or next, but later in the summer so we don't run into 4' of snow and other spots where there was snow covering a very steep trail....

Thanks for the trail guiding :-))

I wore my hiking boots all today so my feet can get used to them again.

Carole

• 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday after my DS finished with his 3 SAT 2 subject tests we drove from DE to Smoky Mts. We had reserved a campsite at Cosby--nice, quiet, rather empty, clean restrooms but quite a drive to any of the hiking areas.

Sunday--DH wanted to go to Dollywood. I tried to override this decision but that's what he wanted to do. Three of the four of us will not ride rollercoasters, and 2 of the 4 will not ride any amusement park rides. I still don't know why we went but that's where we spent a sunny day. One of our few sunny days all week. It isn't that good of an amusement park to begin with but their food is good.

Monday--DH went off to his woodworking course in Dandridge and my 2 teenage boys (aka, super hikers) and their overweight Mom (me) went for an 8 mile hike to Ramsey Cascade. Beautiful! Nice hike and not to difficult at all. Pleasant hike for sure.

We started the hike at 7 and were driving away by noon. We didn't see any creatures and were all alone on the hike in. It was a highway of folks walking in as we were walking out. Folks wearing sandals and walking without water, both no-no's in my book.

For the afternoon we drove over to Clingman's Dome, walked the 1/2 mile uphill to the top and discussed hiking the AT someday, as a three-some. Could we do that next summer? From Clingmans we stopped off at Newport Gap, noticed a crowd of folks starring at something on the hillside and saw our first and only bear. Quite a small little fellow and we wondered where the mama was. Driving back to camp we met the first of our daily thunderstorms and were thankful that we were not on a trail ridge somewhere.

Tuesday-- I took Paula in MS suggestion

Mt. Leconte are very good. Alum Cave is the shortest and most scenic. You could also do a loop of the Rainbow Falls trail and come back on the Bullhead Trail. (They leave from the same parking area located in Roaring Fork.) This is about 18 miles roundtrip. I will never do it again. Too much for one day. By the time I got to the top, I was exhausted. But you know what goes up must come down.

and we went up Rainbow Falls to mt LeConte, hiked the Cliff Top too!, and then came down Bullhead Trail. From our calculation we only did 15 miles although I felt like I did 18 miles. It actually did me in for the week and I could NOT move the next two days. My calves felt like I had a continuous Charley Horse. It was not a pretty sight to see me try to walk either.

Oh, we came across 3 FRESH Bear Scats that were from a large bear. No baby bear could have produced such piles.

We returned to camp as the skies opened up all around us. What rain, and thunder.

Wednesday --- Since I could hardly move and the boys were tired from their last 3 days of walking/hiking we headed out to a pancake breakfast. Smokey Mt Pancake House is OK however I wouldn't return. We walked Gatlinburg and acted as tourists for the day. Walking the sidewalks helped to loosen up my legs. We left the town when the thunder began and the rain came.

Thursday --- Since the weatherman called for only a 60% chance of rain I sent my boys on a hike up to Mt Cammerer from our campsite. It was to be a 12 mile hike and both are quite capable. One hour after sending them off thunder could be heard and the skies opened up with buckets of rain. An hour later they were not back but since I couldn't move I knew I couldn't go up the trail after them. Another hour and another thunder clap followed with buckets of rain. Finally they came back to the camp, drenched to the bone. When they reached the ridge line they had only been rained on once and had not heard any thunder. Shortly after getting on the ridge they heard the thunder and started back down to camp, coming within 2 miles of Mt Cammerer.

After drying off we headed over to Sevierville, caught the Terminator movie, and ate some nice BBQ at Bubba's.

Friday ---- The boys decided they wanted to hike to Gregory Bald so we started on the long drive over to Cades Cove. The sky looked blacker than black and we couldn't see the mt ridges. We decided to go to plan B.

We hiked over to Laurel Falls---nice little hike. While there a woman took a spill on a rock and thankfully didn't go over the cliff!!!! It was close though. On the way out we met rain.

We drove through Cades Cove and decided to hike to Abrams Falls. Once there we learned that the trail was closed due to a Black Bear being agressive to two hikers a few days earlier. We turned back however we watched as other hikers went forward on the trail agains the warning and closure signs.

From Cades Cove we headed over to Grotto Falls and hiked that one. The weather really kept us off the hikes we would have liked to do, but they'll be for the next time to go to the Smoky Mts.

Saturday --- With his woodworking class finished a day early DH wanted to come home. The boys wanted to come home to so they could get to their skate practice on Sunday. Me, I wanted to stay and hike. The sky was a clear blue and the thunderstorms weren't due to start until late in the day. Oh well. next time. And now I have another inncentive to get back into shape --- I don't want to be left in camp the next time the boys go on a mountain hike.

carole