Menu

Spelling Wisdom and Simply Spelling

Marsha

I have both. I prefer Spelling Wisdom. I think that Spelling Wisdom is better because it is very specific about covering all 6000 commonly used words and it has an index for finding other selections. This one is meant to be used as prepared or studied dictation. You can use them as copy work (and I do for my third grader) but my older kids use it as written and it really challenges them. It is more expensive for all the volumes, but there is a downloadable version that is very reasonable. Also, one book should last two years. I think Sonya Shafer has done a really great job of putting a CM spelling curriculum. I use their SCM organizer too, so I may be a little biased. :)

Simply Spelling is good too, it just takes a different approach. That one is designed to be more like copy work with spelling rules added on to each day's lesson. You use the same selection all week with dictation at the end. It does not have the index to find more selections to work on the same words.

I have both. I prefer Spelling Wisdom. I think that Spelling Wisdom is better because it is very specific about covering all 6000 commonly used words and it has an index for finding other selections. This one is meant to be used as prepared or studied dictation. You can use them as copy work (and I do for my third grader) but my older kids use it as written and it really challenges them. It is more expensive for all the volumes, but there is a downloadable version that is very reasonable. Also, one book should last two years. I think Sonya Shafer has done a really great job of putting a CM spelling curriculum. I use their SCM organizer too, so I may be a little biased. :)

Simply Spelling is good too, it just takes a different approach. That one is designed to be more like copy work with spelling rules added on to each day's lesson. You use the same selection all week with dictation at the end. It does not have the index to find more selections to work on the same words.

:iagree:

I have both as well. For my DD the Simply Spelling is working better, since she copies it everyday. It is really solidifying the "look" of a correctly written word. You could do copywork w/ Spelling Wisdom everyday, too, of course. Both have excellent selections for dictation. Honestly...I don't think you can go wrong with either.