Menu

Anyone read the ebook "College by 12"? It's about a hsing family

HappyGrace

profiled in Practical Homeschooling mag who has had (so far) their first four out of 9 children in college by age 12. You can find it at http://www.collegeby12.com. It sounds like an interesting read, but it's $20 for the ebook, and I wondered if anyone had read it and found it worthwhile (or not.) I wondered what types of things they were doing-does the book go into that?

I've been teaching part-time at the college-level for nine years now, and I have zero interest in sending my children to college early. Certainly it's possible, but I just don't see the advantage of pushing them that hard academically before they're fully grown mentally, physically, and spiritually. In fact mine may be headed for a "gap year" after H.S. graduation because I've seen over and over how slightly older kids in college with some life experience really do have an advantage.

I certainly didn't intend to send my child to college at age 12. It wasn't in "the plan," and it wasn't something I set out to do. Nonetheless, it turned out to be the right choice for her. She is currently home on spring break and is clearly happier and healthier (in virtually all observable ways) than she was in her last year or so of homeschooling. She is thriving intellectually, socially and even spiritually in her current environment.

Granted, hers is a special situation, because she found a good fit for her at a college that offers a program for girls like her. However, I suspect my son may be headed for early college, too, although not as early as his big sister. Sadly, there are no comparable programs for young male students, so we may well find ourselves trying to find ways to make something local work for him. I'd truly hate to think that all you fine folks here would think I was being "cruel" by working hard to find an appropriate educational fit for my child.

--Jenny

I agree with Jenny here. I've known a number of people who took college courses or matriculated (very) early and thrived. It really depends on the student and the school. What might seem cruel when applied to average or even above average students can be liberating to the truly exceptional ones.

I think that was the Swann family. Does that sound familiar? This may be a different family. I think in the Swann's case, and it may be the same here, they didn't send the 12 year olds off to college, they did a BA program at home, BJU maybe? So Calvert K-8 year round accelerated, then a high school program like University of Nebraska's correspondence. And then a college correspondence program. So yes, it's possible, though I'm not sure it really accomplishes the purposes of college...either to be challenged and find intellectual mentors as it sounds Jenny has found for her daughter, or to have job training for a career, which a 12 year old isn't quite in need of just yet.

But I've not heard of this family and won't be buying the book, so I can't say what *they* mean by college at 12.. :)

Edit: I poked around a little bit and here is the family website http://www.hardingsrus.com/ If you want more info on how they do things.

Jami

Gotta agree with Jenny here. While I just posted how I am slowing my dd9 down a bit, I would not do so if it were to her detriment. Slowing a child down is just as damaging as speeding them up.

In fact, I plan to add more student directed studies to my dd's schedule because that is what she desires. If she chooses to accelerate on her own, I'll let her. I am just trying to ensure that I'm not accelerating her because I'm in a hurry. (Although, what I'm hurrying for, I'm not even sure. :) )

I was just interested to see what this family was doing! BTW, they are a different family from the Swanns, whose daughter wrote a book-they did use Calvert and did two lessons a day instead of one. I'm not interested in getting my dc into college at 12 either, although sometimes I think I do move through material a little too slowly for dd8, who is advanced. However, I am in the camp of believing some dc need and want to accelerate like this family is apparently doing with success. It's our privilege as homeschoolers to give our dc exactly what they need, and it looks different for every family.

I'm just very interested in all kinds of teaching methods and pedagogies. I've read widely on the subject-everything from John Holt to my current three reads about educational methods in Japan and China. I pick up many interesting tidbits and have been able to make minor adjustments to my own teaching based on things that resonate with me from my readings. I enjoy it and feel it helps me as a teacher. I thought this looked like an interesting read. I will report back with a review if I get it.

You're right, I should be more careful about making blanket statements. My apologies.

Obviously, we aren't talking about "average" kids, here. And, I was envisioning a child "going off" to University--not being at home and taking upper level courses, which, in my view, is an entirely different thing. But that was also presumptuous.

Jenny in Florida--I'm glad you were able to find an environment in which she is thriving. I retract wholeheartedly. If I knew you in person, or knew of you, I would ask you about it before I made any judgements. There is no way I could think you "cruel" if you are honestly doing what you think is best for your child. That's all we can ever do.

I'd say more, but it's probably best I shut up now.

This is an issue I mull over a lot. I have seen how some kids do it, so here's what I know. They start taking junior college classes early--instead of high school, for example. After two years of amassing credits, they transfer to the state university--our state, and others, require a state school to accept anyone graduating out of the junior college system. This may work best if you're in a large urban area--say Los Angeles or Chicago--where the child can commute, and where the university has many commuters and diverse age group students.

Dd and I have discussed this over and over, and she is opposed to going this route based on her own acknowledged emotional maturity level, even tho ACT scores say she's well ready academically (at 8th grade age level). If a child's primary interest is in science, I can see how it might be hard to corral the lab resources needed to challenge the child. However, for arts and humanities, there seems to me to be plenty of material to self teach to a very high level--especially with the reading program in WTM, which is way more rigorous than anything I ever had as an undergrad at a state u. (Sociology major, English minor)

You have to judge the needs of your own child. I'm concerned that early entry bright kids don't usually end up at the top echelon universities, where perfect 800-800-800 SATs are not so rare. But maybe that's not so important to the individual child. In my perfect world, the top level academic kids would get the best places, whatever their age, ethnic background or economic level. Hasn't happened yet, sigh!

Danielle

• 3 years later...
Guest Aubrey in AZ

Hello,

Just wanted to say, that I've read it. I was really hoping it would be a "how to" book, but it's mostly a big conglomeration of the family's experiences. That being said, it has completely changed the way I home school and I'm sooo glad I did read it. Where before, I felt like I didn't have enough time in my day to get everything done, reading Mona Lisa's experiences helped me to realize that I just need to let my kids do what they do best, and that's to learn. Really, I'm fairly new at it. This is only our third week. My children are very young. I have a Kindergartener and first grader.

I still give them assignments, and my Kindergartener is certainly not independent by any means, but my first grader can do a lot on his own and I don't need to watch him do work. I can just check it when he's done and help him when he's stuck. OK, what I'm really getting at is since I've been doing this, my first grader, by himself, completed an entire unit in math in two days. The syllabus allowed 4 weeks. :w00t:

I'm very excited by this. He's been doing double lessons of reading and avg. tripple lessons on math, and I know it sounds like I'm bragging, but I have to say it's so freeing! One of the main points in the book is to find what they enjoy, or want to do, and use that as the carrot. My 6 year old wants to program video games like his dad. So we told him he has to be good at math and he has to be able to read really well. He's all over it. (OK, it's not all roses, sometimes he complains about school) But before, when I would mention school, he would cry and run away from me. (Yeah, I must be a rotten home schooler. :001_unsure:) And now, without much complaint, he does a lot of his work by him self before breakfast! :w00t: OK, I like the woot smiley because really, this is how excited I am about this.

I'll stop typing now. :001_smile: I know everyone has to do what works for them and so far I think this is amazing. We're just going to keep on, keepin' on. Oh and I'd say it's worth the $20 read. :thumbup: Good luck to everyone!

I read the book and found it condescending and vague... not as much as a "how to book", as the other poster said.

I have one child (not my legal child, actually, but I was her primary caretaker) who entered college at age 13. I didn't push her; she was motivated and capable and it happened. She completed the equivalent of 10th grade before taking of. She's now 15, almost 16, and finishing up her bachelor's degree. She plans to take a year off to travel the world before going back to school. She's happier than ever. It was the right path for her. But I don't expect all of our other kids to follow in her footsteps. I think that when four out of nine kids in a family are going to "college by 12", that's likely a signal that it's not the KIDS who want to take that path... it's the parents, pushing them. Which is just wrong.

I certainly didn't intend to send my child to college at age 12. It wasn't in "the plan," and it wasn't something I set out to do. Nonetheless, it turned out to be the right choice for her. She is currently home on spring break and is clearly happier and healthier (in virtually all observable ways) than she was in her last year or so of homeschooling. She is thriving intellectually, socially and even spiritually in her current environment.

Granted, hers is a special situation, because she found a good fit for her at a college that offers a program for girls like her. However, I suspect my son may be headed for early college, too, although not as early as his big sister. Sadly, there are no comparable programs for young male students, so we may well find ourselves trying to find ways to make something local work for him. I'd truly hate to think that all you fine folks here would think I was being "cruel" by working hard to find an appropriate educational fit for my child.

--Jenny

Jenny, I thought of you immediately when I saw the title of this post. I remember when she began college. I was in awe and amazed at how you found a great school/opportunity for your daughter and her needs.

I wish I knew where to look for some of those opportunities for my own kids. I have trouble remembering to go to soccer sign ups....:tongue_smilie:

Faithe

I agree with Jenny here. I've known a number of people who took college courses or matriculated (very) early and thrived. It really depends on the student and the school. What might seem cruel when applied to average or even above average students can be liberating to the truly exceptional ones.

Hi Drew!! Nice to " see" ya around!

Certainly it's possible, but I just don't see the advantage of pushing them that hard academically before they're fully grown mentally, physically, and spiritually. In fact mine may be headed for a "gap year" after H.S. graduation because I've seen over and over how slightly older kids in college with some life experience really do have an advantage.

:iagree:

I think it's often not a case of wanting so much as not having a lot of other options. I can't see sitting down and planning out "OK, we're going to do 1st and 2nd grade this year, 3rd and 4th the next..." and schooling extra hours/days in order to get in two years worth of schoolwork, in all subjects, every year. But, having had a child who has, since beginning to homeschool, jumped through several grade levels a year, often beyond the level of materials we're actually using, I'm also aware of the writing on the wall, which says that unless she slows down, a LOT, once she gets out of elementary/middle grades content, she's probably going to need college level material by her early teens. And therefore, I'm already looking at options, ranging from online courses to self-study to local colleges/universities to the program Jenny's daughter graduated from. I'm reasonably confident that her teen years probably won't be typical anywhere outside the Accelerated Learners board and Gifted Homeschoolers Forum. And I'm very, very thankful to have found people who have already traveled this road who can reassure me that I'm NOT insane and not harming my DD by meeting her needs, whatever they turn out to be.