Menu

Please help me pick a grammar curriculum...

KLA

I've been searching the boards all day and I need some help. :)

This is for next year, 4th grade, dd(9). She is very advanced in language arts and enjoys it and asked for a "harder" curriculum next year.

We did FLL1/2 and 3 and then did a year of GWG. We are adopting a 6 month old this summer so I'm concerned about something being too teacher intensive but really want to nurture her in this area because she loves it. I don't need it to include spelling, writing or literature.

The choices seem be (not in any order):

1. Shurley Grammar - too teacher intensive?

2. Michael Clay Thompson - likes the looks of them but have no idea how to implement them, and don't need writing since she is doing IEW in a co-op.

3. JAG - looks pretty good

4. Rod and Staff - have never really looked at this. not familiar with it.

Any thoughts? suggestions? I have been agonizing over this because she has asked for a challenge in this area but I need something easy to pull off with a new child.

Thanks in advance!

Kerry

Edited by KLA
added one more choice

I've been searching the boards all day and I need some help. :)

This is for next year, 4th grade, dd(9). She is very advanced in language arts and enjoys it and asked for a "harder" curriculum next year.

We did FLL1/2 and 3 and then did a year of GWG. We are adopting a 6 month old this summer so I'm concerned about something being too teacher intensive but really want to nurture her in this area because she loves it. I don't need it to include spelling, writing or literature.

The choices seem be (not in any order):

1. Shurley Grammar - too teacher intensive? Have not used it, but like PP, I have friends who very different kids all do well with it and are very smart.

2. Michael Clay Thompson - likes the looks of them but have no idea how to implement them, and don't need writing since she is doing IEW in a co-op. Don't know anything about it.

3. JAG - looks pretty good :o I've never heard of this one.

4. Rod and Staff - have never really looked at this. not familiar with it. Started this one right after FLL 1/2 [didn't have 3 at the time]. DD is now doing R&S 5 with very little teaching from me. I would think it would be similar given the background you describe. A lot of people who use this in conjunction with IEW, do not do any of the writing assignments. Also, you can tweak the work to make it all oral if you want or like I do, every other problem.

Any thoughts? suggestions? I have been agonizing over this because she has asked for a challenge in this area but I need something easy to pull off with a new child.

Thanks in advance!

Kerry

Since my experience has only been with R&S, I can only answer to that one, but I do like it a lot. It is rigorous and will give your dd a thorough grounding in things like, diagramming, punctuation subject verb agreement, poetry and report writing(complete with outlining). Again, I know people who simply skip the report sections, I haven't b/c I like that dd learns different ways and her IEW work was through a coop that met for only 24 weeks. I don't think she was overworked. She may say otherwise. ;)

HTH

Shurley is teacher intensive...I would go with R&S b/c of the independence level. A quick little bit of discussion from the Teacher's manual with you and she can be on her way. (Maybe 5-10 minutes of your time). You really only need to get to level 6 by the end of 8th grade. It's VERY challenging. Many take 2 years in level 5 as it is such a HUGE jump.

I would look at starting level 4 or maybe 5...it is at least a grade or two ahead. I have a very advanced 3rd grader doing level 3 and doing well, even with the diagramming. She could speed it up but what's the point...it will get too hard too quickly and her love of it will fade...so all that to say be cautious to get the right level b/c it WILL be a challenge.

Kerry,

As much as I adore JAG it isn't a full year of grammar. It is a 11 week study done 4 days a week. Unless you stretch it out I don't think it sounds like what you want.

I would steer you towards R&S, if your dd wants challenge. From what I hear it is one of the best.

Heather

I have used Rod and Staff for 3 years with three different ages. It is comprehensive, systematic, and it relies heavily on traditional diagramming. It is not fun or entertaining, but I love it. I like it because it is comprehensive. It has many more exercises than are necessary for most kids. If your daughter loves language arts, she may find diagramming a fun challenge. She could probably move through R&S quickly and find a level that is challenging.

How about KISS grammar? It's not well-known, but it looks like a fantastic (and FREE online!) curriculum written by a college English professor (apparently out of a desire to help humanity after seeing what passes for lanugage knowledge among his college freshmen).

I'm still researching it myself, but I'm really intrigued.

Here's the web site:

http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/KISS.htm

Here's a link to a thread here on the boards about it:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89799&highlight=Kiss+grammar

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Heather - I really like the look of JAG (junior analytical grammar). What if i used that and then maybe I would have time for some poetry and other language art things? Could I do that? Do you just do the 11 weeks and then what?

I like that it makes grammar so simple.

Thanks,

Kerry

Right before ds turned 10 we began regular Analytical Grammar. He is an advanced student and has done very well with the first season of AG. Next year, in "5th grade" he'll complete seasons II & III.

While this is earlier than they recommend, he has absorbed it all and done quite well w/it. It's *just rules and that make sense to him.

You can use it alongside another program, but bear in mind AG takes a bit of time. DS completes a lesson in 30-45 minutes. Another option would be to do a season of grammar then a season with another focus such as literature, poetry or vocabulary.

I've been extremely happy w/this program.

HTH,

MCT grammar is designed to be used for only a few weeks at the beginning of the year (you would use the practice book to keep the concepts fresh after that). The rest of the year is spent focusing on other aspects of LA, like writing, poetry, vocab. I'm not sure how teacher intensive it is, though.

I have used Rod and Staff for 3 years with three different ages. It is comprehensive, systematic, and it relies heavily on traditional diagramming. It is not fun or entertaining, but I love it. I like it because it is comprehensive. It has many more exercises than are necessary for most kids. If your daughter loves language arts, she may find diagramming a fun challenge. She could probably move through R&S quickly and find a level that is challenging.

:iagree: I have an advanced 10-year-old that has basically done R&S independently. She reads it on her own, and has still done very well on the tests.

That is NOT the case with my older ds, but that's another story. :D R&S is very rigorous, but if your dd is advanced and enjoys LA, I doubt R&S would be teacher intensive for you.

My suggestion is that she do GWG 5 for fourth grade. That's what my son did. Actually, he also did FLL 1/2, then GWG 3 for third grade, then GWG 5 for fifth grade. He loves diagramming, and GWG teaches that.

We are thinking of Rod & Staff 6 for next year, though. Haven't decided for sure yet. We are not Christian, so that's a factor. But R&S seems to be more character-based than spiritual, from what I've seen.

Julie

I used Junior Analytical Grammar for my 5th and 6th graders. Now they are working through the regular program.

My older dd finished AG this past year and knows it so well she is my reference sometimes when I get stuck in teaching the youngers. She always has a good answer and scored a perfect score on the ACT English portion this year (not that that says much...)

This is one of our best curriculum choices. I love the logical sequence in which it is taught.

Yes, the JAG is just 11 weeks long, but the author recommends using the remainder of the year to focus on writing.