Menu

Saxon Math Meeting book

freeindeed

I used saxon 1 & 3 this year, and I don't like the meeting book. Once they had the concepts down, I just had them fill in their daily stuff (calendar, weather, daily temperature, graphs, etc.), do any counting they needed to do, etc. and skipped right to the lessons. I bought the meeting book for saxon 2 for this coming year (we're starting soon), but I plan to do the same. I kind of start out heavy and ease up once they get it.

We've never used it at all.

Tia

I've used Saxon from the beginning, and we love it, but I HATE the meeting book! I'm considering not even purchasing one for ds6 for next year. He'll be using Saxon 2. What do you all think? Can we do without the meeting book?

The meeting book was one of the first items I felt free to let go of when we first began homeschooling. :) It serves a purpose, but once you get the idea, you can choose whether or not to do with with the meeting book. DD has her own little calendar (pink with kittens on the front) and she loves to "do her calendar" crossing off days, finding the day of the week, scheduling playdates, etc. She gets a whole lot more enjoyment out of doing that than filling in the blanks in the meeting book. I think it's better suited to a classroom than homeschool. If it works for your family, use it. If not, let it go. However, I do think it's important to go over those meeting concepts (skip counting, days of the week, etc.) one way or another.

I tweak the meeting, but I never skip it. I too loathe the meeting, but recognize its value. I would get the book and I pay attn to the meeting so when there is new bolded material I make sure to go over it, otherwise they do it on their own. I never skip the patterns and counting. I just think it is a great way to hammer down these important concepts.

I do know of some who separate the meeting from the lesson. So first think in the morning you could do that, then go on to another subject and eventually come back to math. IDK, I can't give it up.

There's a Meeting Book? :confused:

LOL! That is too funny!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for giving me permission to ditch the meeting book! My dd6 HATES it. I do agree that we need to go over the counting and the new concepts in bold, but once something is mastered, all I can get out of her is eyes rolling, big yawns and heavy sighs.:tongue_smilie:

I think you can apply similar concepts to other daily activities and skip the meeting book. We're doing Saxon K and 1 and skipping the meeting book. I'm teaching patterning using other math manipulatives, during snack time while we're eating or if they get M & M's as treats. Do patterning with colors, shapes etc.