Menu

Homemade Ice Cream

I need your absolute best homemade ice cream recipes--any flavor. I need to make some for a church picnic on Sunday. I have a maker but no recipes. (I usually use mix.):001_huh:

I don't mind if I need to cook it first and then chill or whatever. The only requirement is that it be very yummy!

Thanks,

Paula

This is primarily from the Ben & Jerry's recipe book, but with the added microwave step to make sure the eggs are safe from salmonella. It's wonderful!

French Vanilla Ice Cream

2 large eggs

3/4 cup sugar

2 cups heavy or whipping cream

1 cup milk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Whisk eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in 1 cup of the cream and the milk and whisk to blend. Heat the mixture in a microwave to 165 degrees on a candy thermometer. Stir often. [For my microwave, I do 2 minutes on high, stir, 2 more minutes on high, stir and check temp, 1 min on high, stir and check temp, and if it's not at 165 yet go 30 seconds at a time until at 165]. When the temperature is 165, the eggs have been made safe. Add the second cup of cream and the vanilla. Refrigerate until cold, then process in your ice cream maker.

For Heath Bar Crunch: You need 4 regular size Heath bars. Cut them into pieces (you should have 1 cup) and freeze them in a covered container. Add them after the ice cream stiffens, about 2 minutes before it is done.

For Coffee: Add an extra 2 Tablespoons sugar and 2 T freeze dried coffee when you add the last cup of cream after heating.