Menu

You know what's better than finally getting caught up on ironing?

not getting behind in the first place.

Other than lack of ironing pile, a good thing about catching up after about a month or more is it's like going shopping for new clothes without spending any money. I suddenly have 4 more shirts, 3 skorts, 2 skirts. And that's just my stuff. I ironed for an hour and a half last night!

Not ironing in the first place. Hubby's work shirts either come straight out of the dryer onto a hanger or, if 100% cotton, to the dry cleaner. Nothing else here needs to look THAT crisp (and once he puts his suit jacket on over the shirt it hardly stays crisp anyway).

a good thing about catching up after about a month or more is it's like going shopping for new clothes without spending any money.

Epa!! My ironing basket is so huge now that there are clothes that haven't seen the light of day in over a year! I just wonder, if I ever even get that basket caught up, if the clothes will still be in style?? :confused::tongue_smilie:

Would you like to come and finish my ironing?:D

I've been attempting to get to the bottom of the bushel this week - still not there . . . I noticed the menfolk were wearing wrinkled shirts today - oh my:ohmy: I was embarrassed and SO glad they didn't venture too far out in public today . . .

Thing is, just about the time the bushel looks like I've made real progress -- I open the dryer, take out the laundry - and add to that ironing basket...:glare:

I keep telling myself I WILL get it done - I WILL get it done - I WILL . . .

I really like to iron. NO! before you ask I will not iron yours. I wear a lot of cotton and linen so I can be cool (at that hot flash age). Husband wears the cotton Columbia fishing shirts so I spray starch and iron them until this spring when I bought him some sixty/fourty shirts for work and it really is kind of nice not to iron them when I think about it. I iron all of my sons clothes also, I just have a certain way I want them to look plus I get to watch and old movie or two while I work. :001_smile:

Who irons?

:D not me.

Every time I want to feel well dressed, I just go to Walmart, observe an entire family shopping in their pj's and slippers (Yes, I'm serious.) and suddenly I feel like I'm in my Sunday best just because I bothered to get dressed at all. :D

I iron all of my sons clothes also' date=' I just have a certain way I want them to look plus I get to watch and old movie or two while I work. :001_smile:[/quote']

That is me too. My husband is a cotton linen wearer too. I iron all of his workshirts and and pants and my son's school shirts and pants. I would feel ashamed to send them out the door looking less than immaculate. I don't know why, I just can't do it. hehe I will lose sleep before I let my son go to school looking sloppy. I think it is the Cuban in me. My family were always immaculately groomed and dressed. Ay, I'm such a slob in comparison! I only wear things that don't have to be ironed because I hate ironing so much even though I do get to watch movies. :D

I iron, too. And really cannot believe how many people don't iron...? What's up with that? Do you go around looking like a used kleenex? Really, for the number of people who claim to not iron, I should be seeing a LOT of wrinkly looking people... maybe I'm blinded by the people walking around in their jammies. (Which is not unique to Walmart)

With the exception of my husband's uniform, everything we wear is natural fiber, and generally cotton/linen. Dress shirts go to the cleaner because I cannot get them crisp enough at home, though I just got some liquid starch, so I may give those a whirl again.

So, my answer would be: better than getting caught up on the ironing is the journey to the bottom of the basket. :D

I iron, too. And really cannot believe how many people don't iron...? What's up with that? Do you go around looking like a used kleenex? Really, for the number of people who claim to not iron, I should be seeing a LOT of wrinkly looking people... maybe I'm blinded by the people walking around in their jammies. (Which is not unique to Walmart)

Spray it on, pull out the wrinkles, and you're done. It's great!! (I tried the stuff made by Downy - didn't work at all.)

DH's 100% cotton shirts go to the cleaners.

I won't say I never iron. I'll be ironing DD's skirt and top for her recital tonight. However, Revive (and the occasional tumble in the dryer) has dropped my ironing down to just a few items a month.

Spray it on, pull out the wrinkles, and you're done. It's great!! (I tried the stuff made by Downy - didn't work at all.)

DH's 100% cotton shirts go to the cleaners.

I won't say I never iron. I'll be ironing DD's skirt and top for her recital tonight. However, Revive (and the occasional tumble in the dryer) has dropped my ironing down to just a few items a month.

I was eyeballing that stuff when I placed my order 5 minutes ago! Now that it has your endorsement, I will get it next time.

I have a huge pile of ironing. It honestly would take me a whole week of all day ironing to get it done. Dh wears iron intensive shirts to work 5 days a week and then again on Sunday too. And he likes to look really crisp. The rest of us have a few ironable items only in our entire wardrobes.

I was really ill over the winter and got further and further behind. Dh responded to the crisis by going out and buying more shirts whenever he ran out of them in the closet:001_huh: If I ever do get caught up I'm not sure we'll have room for them in the closets!

We all wear t-shirts and jeans or shorts. I like "dressy" knit shirts (lots of styles) over my ubiquitous jeans, my dh and boys wear shirts with super heroes on them. Sandals or crocs. Pretty much that's it.

My Sunday clothes are almost all travel knit dresses or skirts or the kind of cotton that is supposed to be crinkly.

I have a huge pile of ironing. It honestly would take me a whole week of all day ironing to get it done. Dh wears iron intensive shirts to work 5 days a week and then again on Sunday too. And he likes to look really crisp. The rest of us have a few ironable items only in our entire wardrobes.

I was really ill over the winter and got further and further behind. Dh responded to the crisis by going out and buying more shirts whenever he ran out of them in the closet:001_huh: If I ever do get caught up I'm not sure we'll have room for them in the closets!

LOL! That is such a man's response. When I got behind, he went out and bought more pants. Dude, you cannot have more clothes than your wife. :tongue_smilie: Ironing is so daunting because he has so many clothes that need to be ironed.

With the exception of my husband's uniform, everything we wear is natural fiber, and generally cotton/linen. Dress shirts go to the cleaner because I cannot get them crisp enough at home, though I just got some liquid starch, so I may give those a whirl again.

So, my answer would be: better than getting caught up on the ironing is the journey to the bottom of the basket. :D

I dont iron. Never have unless I am sewing. DH wears Army uniforms and you're not allowed to iron those.

Most of my clothes are wash and wear. I don't ever let things sit in the dryer so they don't get wrinkly.

And my cotton and dress clothes go to cleaners. I get dry cleaning for free.....so I don't iron.:D

Most of my clothes are wash and wear.

I have a wash and wear wardrobe as well (mostly knit shirts and jeans in various colors). Hubby is a machinist, and wears Levi's workshirts and blue 60/40 pants. Ironing would not improve these things. Kids clothes are similar. Each has a button up shirt for special occasions and they do get ironed *if* they're needed but we just do not do day to day ironing along with the laundry.

It helps that we live in Michigan, and there just is not a lot of the year where it's warm enough to wear lightweight cottons or linen. I can't stand cotton blouses. I buy one from time to time and am quickly reminded why I don't like them. I am a 38A and most fitted shirts are drafted for a C cup. I get weird stuff going on with the front of my shirt and they end up relegated to the back of the closet.

I do touch up dh's short sleeve shirt collars and button plackets during the summer (when he wears a chambray type fabric instead of the Levi's shirts which are a blend) a couple of times. I find it to be not necessary to iron them every trip through the wash.

I'm perfectly happy being what I call "clean but disheveled". :D

You know whats better than ironing? Having a HUSBAND that does ALL the ironing. Seriously. Wolf watched me iron one of his dress shirts when we were dating, and I haven't had to iron a thing since, for any of us, including myself. He does it all.

Its been slightly...implied...that I might have possibly intentionally done a bad job with the first shirt...to which I reply, "How could *I* possibly know that I'd end up marrying the guy, and that he'd do all the ironing from then on?" Just good planning...errr...luck I guess. :coolgleamA:

Its been slightly...implied...that I might have possibly intentionally done a bad job with the first shirt...to which I reply, "How could *I* possibly know that I'd end up marrying the guy, and that he'd do all the ironing from then on?" Just good planning...errr...luck I guess. :coolgleamA:

So that's what I did wrong! Actually my dh didn't like my ironing at first - his solution was to give me some tutorials on proper ironing technique! (And since he works very hard at two jobs I don't mind the division of labor).

I was eyeballing that stuff when I placed my order 5 minutes ago! Now that it has your endorsement, I will get it next time.

There's a few products that I will continue to use and that's one of them. DH also likes to use it as a Febreze-type product and he doesn't like Febreze itself at all. :)

I dont iron. Never have unless I am sewing. DH wears Army uniforms and you're not allowed to iron those.

Most of my clothes are wash and wear. I don't ever let things sit in the dryer so they don't get wrinkly.

And my cotton and dress clothes go to cleaners. I get dry cleaning for free.....so I don't iron.:D

WHHHAAAAA? Not allowed to iron Army uniforms? Since when?

I ironed BDU's all the time when dh was in the army - With liquid starch and the index card to get the pockets perfect without making a button indentation. The creases had to be just right and perfectly even.

I was so happy when he was an E-3 so that I could afford to pay the dry cleaners $2 for each uniform and I didn't have to do them anymore!

Are you telling me that they don't make them iron their uniforms anymore?

ETA: I don't iron at all anymore.