Menu

can the four-years of foreign language be split between two different tongues...

Good question. Does it count if the student has had a couple of years of the language before ninth grade? We started Spanish in fifth grade, so by the time I was in ninth I'd already had four years of Spanish.

I don't think so . . . I think most colleges like to see two years of one language . . . I took three years of French back in the 80's here in IL. The school I attended (small, all girls Catholic college prep high school) required at least two years of one language, but girls were free to choose to do three or four years of one language or two years of one language and then two years of another. That high school (in Chicago) still requires two years of foreign language study for graduation. So I would think it would be fine for your dd studied three years of French . . . the problem might be if she decided to switch back to Spanish after one year of French . . . but even then, I think most colleges only require two years of study of a foreign language.

Adrianne in IL

Our state university requires at least 2 years of the same language - and Latin doesn't count. Foreign language in elementary school doesn't count. Bob Jones or Abeka DVD courses don't count. Rosetta Stone DEFINITELY doesn't count. The courses must be taken in a "classroom setting" and no earlier than 8th grade - otherwise prospective students must take a proficiency test for admission. Historically, the vast majority of home school students applying to our state university do not score well enough to "opt out" of the foreign language requirements. (I suspect many public school students wouldn't score well on the test either, but they don't have to take it...)

This is generally the case with all the "Big 10" state colleges -or so the Admissions Officer told us.

We have a local coop which offers classes in a variety of areas, but the most popular are the Spanish and science lab classes (which also fall under the "in a classroom setting" requirement). The Spanish instructor is a former Spanish department head of our very same state university and she still had to jump through the hoops to get her classes accepted.

(I have been sending my own children to the Spanish classes there - even though I am a former, but still certified, secondary level Spanish instructor myself! I don't count either!:))

Before you begin language instruction, I would definitely check with any prospective colleges. Ask very specific questions!

Denise in NE

(I have been sending my own children to the Spanish classes there - even though I am a former, but still certified, secondary level Spanish instructor myself! I don't count either!:))

Before you begin language instruction, I would definitely check with any prospective colleges. Ask very specific questions!

Denise in NE

Wow. I had no idea. Good to know.

While none of the ten colleges to which my daughter applied required four years of one foreign language, there was more than one that recommended it. (My daughter had five years of Latin through a post-AP year plus an additional year of Ancient Greek.)

If at all possible, I'd try to corroborate your child's study of a foreign language with an AP, SAT subject test, or a national test score (such as the National Greek or National Latin exam). This would be particularly helpful I believe if some of those years of study took place in the pre-high school years.

Regards,

Kareni

or do college prefer a solid four years of ONE foreign language? My oldest dd, after a freshman year in Spanish, wants to switch to French for the last three years of high school. Will colleges care?

I think the most important consideration is what your dd would enjoy. Most schools are fine with 3 years of the same language. Many recommend the foreign language continue through all four years so that they are still competent when they get to college.

Another consideration is that with a year of Spanish under her belt, French may come very easily to her. It's quite possible that you could accelerate her so that she does French I-IV in 3 years.